cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

RIP JT Murray Middlesex legend

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Re: SCC: Middlesex versus Gloucestershire (11-14 May)
Patsy_Hendren (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 14:37
Middlesex are 238/3 after 58 overs with Malan 40* and Morgan 17* looking settled. Gubbins was unlucky to be dismissed for 99.

MiddleToWest (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 14:42
Gubbins is very impassive when he gets an edge. He got away with it against Yorkshire in the last game in 2016 but not today. No point in the umpire looking for clues in his body language. I wish players would walk but I also wish that there was peace and love amongst all the peoples of the world. Equally unlikely.

Patsy_Hendren (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 14:48
Quote:
MiddleToWest
Gubbins is very impassive when he gets an edge. He got away with it against Yorkshire in the last game in 2016 but not today. No point in the umpire looking for clues in his body language. I wish players would walk but I also wish that there was peace and love amongst all the peoples of the world. Equally unlikely.

You have made a valid point. One can only advise that walking is a prepared practice. Hopefully these cricketers will come to agree over time.

Rocks&Boulders (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 16:38
Malan out for 76.
Cartwright out for a duck. thumbs up

323/5 after 85 overs.
Morgan 64 n/o, Simpson 2 n/o.

11 May, 2018 16:41
Cartwright seems to be improving - think he managed 10 mins out in the middle today!!
Lets hope he makes up for it with his bowling.

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 18:29
Considering Middlesex entered this match with only two batting points in four matches, it is great that we have given ourselves a chance of achieving five batting points in this match, with four having already been achieved. It is the first time in 13 matches that we have passed 300 in our first innings.

I suppose that I could have a glass-half-empty viewpoint and say that the day could have been even better considering our top six all passed 31 but didn’t reach centuries, plus we lost a wicket in the penultimate over of the day, but I am nonetheless happy with our match position.

I was confident that Eoin Morgan could make an impact in this format, and it seems that my faith was justified. It is just a shame that his inclusion came at the expense of Max Holden, despite being one of our best batsmen when making 84 not out and 29 v Sussex at Hove last week. It is not the first time Holden has lost his place in our side despite one of our best batsmen in the previous match, as that fate befell him after he scored the joint-most runs from a player from either side v Hampshire at Uxbridge in 2017, yet made no further appearances that season. I felt prior to this match that if someone was to make way for Morgan, then it should be Sam Robson or Hilton Cartwright. It can’t say that I regret nominating Cartwright, as he took his run of scores since signing to 0, 30, 0, 10, 29, 5, 4, 0 and 0, giving him an average of 9.75.

I am glad that Steven Finn and Tom Helm have returned.

The pitch for this match is on the Grand stand side.

11 May, 2018 18:38
On the day he passed 3,000 first-class runs, Nick Gubbins has spoken to Middlesex’s YouTube page about today:

I was hoping that Eoin Morgan would be able to come in with us in a good position, and Gubbo helped achieve that.

Haringey Racer (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 19:14
Another classic from the new announcer this morning: "uncotosted tess". Although I still think "Aneurin Bevan" was better. And I noticed one case of the Pavilion End being referred to as the Nursery End.

If he was the best candidate MCC could find what were the others like?

tallliman (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 21:12
Weather looking iffy for tomorrow.

Edit. On met office at least....BBC saying ok.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2018 21:14 by tallliman.

adelaide (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 21:40
Gubbins looked mighty impressive today. His cover drive in the fourth over of the day was almost the first thing I saw and was sumptuous and there were others to match. There's something about left handers driving.

With one exception (guess who?) it seemed a surprise when someone was out. Malan seemed to get a ball which kept low. Earlier in the day the bounce had seemed very regular and there was little happening with the ball but as the clouds closed in batting seemed to get more difficult. Dan Worrall was good most of the day while van Buuren contributed some tidy but unthreatening darts tying up the left handers on leg stump.

The floodlights eventually came on and this time probably did stop some of the play being lost, though Middlesex's position might have been better for the morning (*). I didn't see a light meter come out though presumably someone has to give the instruction to power up the lights.

Adelaide

(*) Having said which, if a fair amount of play is lost in the rest of the match, 400 or so all out might be more productive than the 500+ I was dreaming of when Gubbins was motoring along.

11 May, 2018 23:13
Despite having to wait until Middlesex’s fourth County Championship match of the season to state his case for international recognition, Nick Gubbins is tipped to play in England’s Test series v Pakistan.

It is unusual for the same umpire to officiate a team in successive matches, but Barbadian Jonathan Blades is umpiring this match like he did v Sussex at Hove last week. I assume he is part of some programme whereby Cricket West Indies send their umpires to England in the hope of improving their development. I cannot really comment on whether or not the standing of umpiring in England is something which other countries should aspire to.

Primrose Hillbilly (IP Logged)
12 May, 2018 08:22
We had a bloke come on from the Pavillion end to open proceedings for us in 2016 - "Toby Roland - Smith".

Rocks&Boulders (IP Logged)
12 May, 2018 11:56
How we never got the final batting point i don't know.
Flying now that hasn't been achieved.

455/8 (122 overs),
Rayner 27 n/o
Helm 25 n/o.

Edit: Slightly earlier lunch has been taken due to a spot of rain.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2018 11:58 by Rocks&Boulders.

12 May, 2018 15:22
Like everyone associated with Middlesex, I was hopeful that we could achieve all five batting points, especially as we were 396-6 with 14 balls in which to get the runs. However, I think that we were reluctant to try too hard to get there, as we also sought to bat on as far past 400 as we could to gives ourselves as many runs to play with as possible, to increase Gloucestershire’s follow-on target and to possibly force Glos to start their reply more tired than they would like. Had we been 410-9 after 110 overs, we could have been all out shortly after and thus not achieved these objectives.

In the end, Ollie Rayner and Tom Helm got us past 450, and the fact we then declared means that we would be able to enforce the follow-on if we bowl Glos out for 305 or less. The only objective we cannot be said to have achieved was making Glos start their first innings tired, as the innings will not start until they have had the opportunity to rest.

Despite my justification for Middlesex’s tactics this morning, our failure to reach five batting points was a disappointment, and something I hope we don’t rue at the end of the season. I am pretty sure that Helm and Rayner are gutted about how the 110th over went, as John Simpson was caught behind off the first ball, Helm faced four dot balls, and with 3 required off the final ball of the over, Helm could only achieve a leg bye. The situation wasn’t Helm or Rayner’s fault. As I have said, their subsequent batting was very helpful for us. When we played Glamorgan at Lord’s two weeks ago, we fell 6 short of getting a first batting point, let alone a fifth. As we know too well, when it comes to our final match of the season, every point is often very important, as it could be the difference between having to reach 250 to achieve a certain objective, or instead having to reach 300. And of course two points can be the difference between needing 250 or 350. If it wasn’t for Arrowgate, Somerset would have prepared a different type of pitch in last season’s relegation-decider.

It seems unlikely there will be any further play today. If that turns out to be the case, it would make it a good decision for Lower Mound and I to go home at about 2:45pm. We haven’t ruled out the possibility of going back later on if a restart is announced, but that is looking unlikely.

12 May, 2018 15:38
Quote:
Jonathan Winsky
It seems unlikely there will be any further play today. If that turns out to be the case, it would make it a good decision for Lower Mound and I to go home at about 2:45pm

It turns out that we were correct, as play has indeed been called-off.

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
12 May, 2018 15:52
From my ceefax view I find it not good play from us we did not achieve maximum batting points. I remember a similar scenario in that Essex game before the break for 50 over cricket.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Fozzie (IP Logged)
12 May, 2018 15:58
Quote:
BarmierKev
From my ceefax view I find it not good play from us we did not achieve maximum batting points. I remember a similar scenario in that Essex game before the break for 50 over cricket.

Frustrating, but Simpson and Harris were both dismissed when it was in sight. Not being at Lord's today, I'm not going to rush into judgement on two tail-enders who were both newly arrived at the crease at the critical moment. From what I remember of the Essex game, theissue was that two well-established batsmen made no discernible effort to accelerate the scoring rate so as to achieve maximum points.

adelaide (IP Logged)
12 May, 2018 16:41
James Harris was going for the bonus point blow, I think. Simmo got a good one. Just failing to get a bonus point, whether through being bowled out or not scoring quite quickly enough, is something of a theme for Middlesex, I'm afraid.

The TV feed confirmed my suspicion that Noema-Barnett comes from the Sandip Patel school of fitness. No wonder he fields at slip all day.

As PH hinted at on another thread, not only were there no reverse sweeps of van Buuren by Morgan; there were no sweeps of any description by anybody. I think he was firing them in too fast to make it a safe shot in CC cricket.

One other thing made me smile on the way home - a poster in Rymans advertising Wenger at 50% off.

Adelaide

tbl (IP Logged)
12 May, 2018 17:28
I was disappointed not to see a greater effort to get the final batting bonus point. One scoring shot in 14 balls is not too difficult a target. As we all know, one point can make a difference at the end of the season.

Weather forecast is rain tomorrow morning, but should be play in the afternoon and on Monday. Given the time lost to rain today, realistically we can only win by bowling Gloucestershire out tomorrow and enforcing the follow-on on Monday.

12 May, 2018 19:12
As well as Middlesex coming just short of a fifth batting point and this match coming just before the start of the Royal London Cup, it is hoped that there will be a third parallel between this match and last season’s match v Essex at Lord’s, as we may have the opportunity to enforce the follow-on. If we get this opportunity, hopefully we will look at what happened in that Essex match and make Gloucestershire bat again. James Harris bowled a lot last week v Sussex at Hove, but hadn’t bowled excessively prior to that, Steven Finn is making his maiden 1st XI appearance of the season, and Tom Helm and Ollie Rayner have barely bowled any overs this season, so they should have enough energy to cope with the follow-on being enforced. It is not like we have any more County Championship matches to think about in the next six weeks.

Getting a fifth batting point may not have been the 'be-all-end-all' in terms of us achieving our objectives in this match, but I can't help but feel that bowling Glos out for no more than 305 in their first innings is a bit of a 'be-all-end-all'.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net