cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Floodlights in use at last

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
SCC: Middlesex versus Gloucestershire (11-14 May)
Patsy_Hendren (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 13:44
A possible XI:

Robson Gubbins Eskinazi Malan Morgan Cartwright Simpson+ Harris Rayner Helm Finn

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 16/05/2018 08:05 by BarmierKev.

Re: SCC: Middlesex versus Gloucestershire (11-14 May)
tbl (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 19:55
Compton is sadly not being considered, and we won't drop Robson or Cartwright just yet. My guess would be:

Robson
Gubbins
Eskinazi
Malan(c)
Holden
Cartwright
Simpson(wk)
Harris
Rayner
Finn
Helm

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 20:49
Steven Finn should be fully fit after getting two 2nd XI matches under his belt. Hopefully Tom Helm will return too after being omitted for no apparent reason v Sussex at Hove. It remains to be seen whether the staff at Middlesex still trust Tom Barber. Selecting Eoin Morgan and/or James Franklin must be within the realms of possibility considering they both played in a Second Eleven Trophy match v Kent at Beckenham today. I am not sure if Nick Compton is in the appropriate condition to play, as I am not aware of him playing any cricket or spending time in the nets in recent weeks (although I think that some of Fred Titmus’s latter appearances came without having performed much recent cricket activity!). If we decide to change our spinner, we may select Nathan Sowter over Ravi Patel, as Sowter appeared to have overtaken Patel in the pecking order last season, although Patel came in for our relegation-decider v Somerset at Taunton at took 12 wickets and a run-out. Middlesex and Kent begin a three-day Second Eleven Championship match at Beckenham tomorrow, so our line-up for that match could indicate who is unlikely to play at Lord's on Friday, and who is being saved for Friday.

Gloucestershire have so far recorded one win, one draw and one defeat. Ryan Higgins tops both their batting and bowling averages with 140 runs @ 35.00 and 17 wickets @ 12.88. If he improves on those figures, no doubt more time will be spent debating why we weren’t desperate to meet the conditions he demanded in order to keep him at the club.

There is a good weather forecast for this match, so coupled with the way our two previous matches at Lord’s have gone this season, there should be a result. Hopefully the match will also see us add to our two batting points. After this match, we will be more than a third of the way through our County Championship campaign, so a third defeat would leave us with a big mountain to climb.

09 May, 2018 20:36
Quote:
Jonathan Winsky
I am not sure if Nick Compton is in the appropriate condition to play, as I am not aware of him playing any cricket or spending time in the nets in recent weeks

Nick Compton was today involved in a corporate day at Lord’s, so at least he played some sort of cricket, although I don’t see that as signifying that he is in a condition to play for Middlesex any time soon. In reply to that tweet, Compo was asked why no-one has signed him on loan, to which he responded that he is ‘trying’.

Quote:
Jonathan Winsky
Middlesex and Kent begin a three-day Second Eleven Championship match at Beckenham tomorrow, so our line-up for that match could indicate who is unlikely to play at Lord's on Friday, and who is being saved for Friday

Our line-up for this match includes Robbie White, George Scott, Nathan Sowter, Ravi Patel and Ethan Bamber, so they will surely not play v Gloucestershire at Lord’s on Friday. Our line-up doesn’t include Eoin Morgan or James Franklin, so they may be in contention for Friday.

In this week’s Memory Lane article, the club looked back at this fixture at Lord’s in 2005, when we recorded our fourth-largest runs victory in winning by 340 runs. That match coincidentally also began on 11th May. I am sure the club would rather discuss that match than the meeting at Bristol in 1924, when we began the match by bowling Glos out for 31, yet went on to lose by 61 runs, giving Glos a County Championship record for the lowest-ever first innings total by a team who went on to win.

10 May, 2018 16:46
Richard Scott has announced a 13-man squad:

Barber, Cartwright, Eskinazi, Finn, Gubbins, Harris, Helm, Holden, Malan*, Morgan, Rayner, Robson, Simpson+

tallliman (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 19:14
Barber to miss out and perhaps Moggy? Unsure.

Sussex Seaxe (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 19:20
I can't believe they'd put Morgan in the squad and then not play him. Which leaves an interesting dilemma. I think we need Cartwright to bowl and probably Rayner for variety, so it looks like a batsman - Robson?

dingy bags (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 19:36
I don't think Morgan should play - but I bet he does. Whoever drops out, I will be annoyed if it is Maxie.

10 May, 2018 19:36
Apart from Tim Murtagh, everyone who played v Sussex at Hove is in Middlesex’s squad for this match, with Steven Finn, Tom Helm and Eoin Morgan all added and having a strong chance of playing.

With our batting having disappointed so far, it would seem a surprise if we decline the opportunity to select Morgan for a County Championship match for the first time since July 2015. The two batsmen most vulnerable are Sam Robson and Hilton Cartwright, so we will have to see whether either will be spared on the basis of Robbo being vice-captain and an established member of the side, and Cartwright being the overseas player and having exceeded expectations with his bowling (although the same can’t be said of his batting). If we omit Robbo, then Max Holden would surely return to the position of opener. Morgan believes himself to be capable of performing an effective role in this format, and I actually agree with him. It depends on whether Morgan ends up playing to his abilities, although that is the case with all players. If he plays, hopefully the players who bat ahead of him will enable him to come to the crease with the team in a good position.

Gloucestershire have named a 13-man squad for this match consisting of Chris Dent (c), Benny Howell, James Bracey, Gareth Roderick, Jack Taylor, Graeme van Buuren, Ryan Higgins, Kieran Noema-Barnett, Craig Miles, Daniel Worrall, Matt Taylor, Christopher Liddle and George Hankins.

Higgins has spoken to the Cricket Paper ahead of this match. He says that he doubts he would have played in the Championship this season had he remained at Middlesex, but I think otherwise, as surely he would have been our all-rounder for the long-term. He also says that his departure was his decision rather than Middlesex’s, and that he bears no animosity towards the club. About his only worry ahead of this match is that he may go into the wrong dressing room!

Richard Scott has spoken to our YouTube page about this match. I had the assumption that James Fuller is currently fully fit, but Scott says that Fuller is merely close to fitness:

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 19:46
On form. Barber and Robson get the nod. Rayner not far behind.

hdo (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 08:43
My XI - dependent on whether Holden can open the batting:

Gubbins
Holden
Eski
Malan
Morgan
Cartwright
Simpson
Harris
Helm
Rayner
Finn

hdo (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 11:41
59-0 from 10 overs, which has to be our best start in a CC match for quite a while. Apologies in advance for the wicket which will no doubt fall as soon as I post this message.

I see one of our batsmen has scored a 5. All run, or overthrows??

MiddleToWest (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 12:04
Does Morgan know what a red ball is?

jimfrayling (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 12:04
Overthrows after a quick single. We were safely home, the ball deflected and went the whole way to the boundary.

JimF

11 May, 2018 12:13
Wishful thinking but a 100 opening partnership - 4 batting points and Rayner to take a couple of wicket in their first innings.

hdo (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 12:39
101/1 with Gubbins on 51*. Mixed emotions as we'd really miss him if he gets into the England setup.

Rocks&Boulders (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 13:29
Good line-up, nice start.

Robson
Gubbins
Eskinazi
Malan
Morgan
Cartwright
Simpson
Harris
Rayner
Helm
Finn.

121/1 at lunch,
Gubbins 70 n/o
Eskinazi 9 n/o.

Rocks&Boulders (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 14:48
Eskinazi out for 31.
Gubbins out on 99. (Sm164)

186/3.
Malan & Morgan in.

11 May, 2018 15:18
Quote:
Rocks & Boulders
Good line-up, nice start.

Robson
Gubbins
Eskinazi
Malan
Morgan
Cartwright
Simpson
Harris
Rayner
Helm
Finn

Finn, Helm and Morgan have replaced Murtagh, Barber and Holden.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2018 15:20 by Patsy_Hendren.

tallliman (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 15:23
Which side of the ground is in use?

Gubbins unlucky but it was a good ball and he seemed to get a small touch based on the video.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net