cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

RIP JT Murray Middlesex legend

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Re: SCC: Middlesex versus Gloucestershire (11-14 May)
Fozzie (IP Logged)
13 May, 2018 14:50
With the benefit of hindsight, perhaps Cartwright was signed to provide cover for Finny, TRJ and Murts?

13 May, 2018 15:50
I cant believe we signed him for his batting!!!

Fozzie (IP Logged)
13 May, 2018 16:34
PA announcement - "From the Pavilion End - Dave Harris!"

tallliman (IP Logged)
13 May, 2018 19:43
12 wickets on a day where we seemed below par was a good return and one which I'd hope brings us a second victory tomorrow.

Having seen 4/5 matches this season, I'm not sure we've really hit top form yet. Some signs, yes but not quite there yet.

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
13 May, 2018 21:14
I am very happy about Middlesex not only getting into a position from which to enforce the follow-on, but actually enforcing it!

Well done to Hilton Cartwright and Tom Helm on sharing seven first innings wickets, and to Helm and James Harris on taking a second innings wicket apiece. Cartwright’s bowling has certainly been very helpful in recent matches, and means that we effectively have four fast bowlers plus Ollie Rayner, as well as Dawid Malan if necessary, so hopefully we will have enough resources to secure a 23-point victory tomorrow.

Cartwright has spoken to our YouTube page about today:

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 10:50
Well this proving not to be as easy as I hoped.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

hdo (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 11:15
Tough work this morning. They don't have the world's strongest batting lineup, but we have to break through the middle order and expose the tail.

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 16:34
Oh well the good news is the rain on Saturday probably spared us an embarrassing defeat.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

14 May, 2018 18:59
It was disappointing that Middlesex took only two wickets today, so credit for that has to go to Gloucestershire.

Dawid Malan has spoken to our YouTube page about this match. One of things he says is that had two sessions not been lost on Saturday, perhaps it would have been better to have batted again rather than enforce the follow-on to give our bowlers a rest. Last season, we were stung by our reluctance to enforce the follow-on. This season, have been stung by us enforcing it!

A haul of one win, two draws and two defeats was not the outcome we would have liked from our first five County Championship matches of the season, and it has left us with work to do if we are to achieve promotion, especially as we are third-bottom in terms of points-per-match.

Our next match in this competition is v Leicestershire at Grace Road, and it is one which, before the season started, I had earmarked as being a vital match, as it will our only opportunity to take points off Leics due to them being an opponent we will only play once. My theory was that if the other counties were to record two wins against Leics - as seemed likely considering the Foxes’ performances in recent seasons - then we would have to take our opportunity to beat them in order to not fall behind the other teams. Leics are highly likely to enter this match ahead of us in the table having also played five matches, as they are currently a point behind us, and are one of eight teams in the division to play in the round of matches beginning on Saturday 9th June which we will sit out.

Now Watford FC have played their final match of the season, I can finally give my undivided attention to Middlesex for the next three months. However, just as the football season draws to a close, so too does the routine of County Championship matches beginning on a Friday, which is something I (and no doubt plenty of other people) would have liked to have continued across the season. We only have three more days of Championship cricket scheduled for the weekend: two days at Lord’s, one day at Wantage Road, and one day being day four of a match in August which means that play is not guaranteed, and also that I may attend little or none of the day if Watford play that day.

snicko (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 20:02
Yet another turgid, unresponsive pitch from Mr Hunt. With the overhead conditions and a pitch devoid of any spin or inconsistent bounce, everything favoured the batting side.

I’ve seen too many of these dead wickets at Lord’s over recent years - it’s time for some drastic action, however, with the volume of cricket scheduled over the next few years, the powers that be will just bury their heads and pretend all is fine.

rod/ed (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 20:14
Does Harry bowling 25 overs compared to Finny(14) and Helm(19) mean he's unlikely to play in the RL50 on Thursday? His batting has hinted at all rounder status so I'd have thought him useful in the white ball team. I suspect JK maybe earmarked to play as a bowler who can bat a bit.Then again if Cartwright still around then he can bowl and who knows a change of format may free him up to score some runs as well.

Patsy_Hendren (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 02:45
Quote:
rod/ed
Does Harry bowling 25 overs compared to Finny(14) and Helm(19) mean he's unlikely to play in the RL50 on Thursday? His batting has hinted at all rounder status so I'd have thought him useful in the white ball team. I suspect JK maybe earmarked to play as a bowler who can bat a bit.Then again if Cartwright still around then he can bowl and who knows a change of format may free him up to score some runs as well.

I agree that Cartwright's bowling may have compensated for his recent loss of batting form. I understand that his contract ended on 14th May although I am unaware if it has been extended.

wembleylion (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 16:04
Snicko is right about the turgid pitches, these are guaranteed to put people off cricket.The most surprising thing about this match was how Gloucestershire didn't get more runs in their first innings, if they had this would have simply been another deadly dull bore draw. The fact they were so far behind made for what appeared to be the prospect of an exciting last day but the pitch gave nothing at all to the bowlers and the cricket was frankly as interesting as watching paint dry. It seemed to be good news that Lords have all our four day matches this season but any more pitches like this and I will be yearning for the outgrounds. Dull draw after dull draw will mean no crowds and no promotion. Of course, fooled by Gloucestershire's weak batting in their first innings most of us didn't quite realise how dead the pitch was, and had the last day been rained off we would probably have been cursing our luck having had an apparent victory denied us.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 17:16
Quote:
MiddleToWest
Does Morgan know what a red ball is?

Apparently yes as he scored 76.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 17:53
Wembley Lion: the wheeze of playing all seven matches at Lords was thought to be a guarantee of promotion.

And with the expensive facilities guarantee more play. The floodlights are not popular with the hierarchy's for use in red ball cricket as we have seen..

The Northants game on day was two gloomy, so lights were on. At about 2.30pm it was decided that they had taken over from the natural light and everyone disappeared.

On repairing to the Tavern, at about 5.45, there was an announcement that play was to resume. On trooping back in, that amounted to two overs so a waste of time.

As to the light situation. It was difficult to see that the natural light at 5,45 was better than at 2.30.

The bonus here as yet to be repeated: we did win the game.

So, by having to ram three games in at Lords in months where the risk is likely to be greater. We have now played one game more than most and sit fifth in the table.

Warwick have established a decent lead which leaves nine teams probably chasing one promotion position.

The floodlights in the Glamorgan game followed a similar pattern. Plus it was freezing.

If flat tracks are to be the order of the day, time to employ two spinners, a change for the opposition batsmen to consider from a diet (mostly) of right arm seam.

16 May, 2018 19:07
Those who are frustrated with the pitches at Lord's will be relieved to know that Middlesex may go several years (if ever) without playing as many matches there as we are playing in 2018, as the ground will be unavailable for around a month in 2019 due to the World Cup, while the subsequent years will see it being a host venue for the city-based competition. Consequently, we are likely to have to increase the amount of home matches we will be playing at outgrounds.

Patsy_Hendren (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 19:49
It was announced on 16th May that Hilton Cartwright has extended his short-term contract until the end of June.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net