cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Floodlights in use at last

Five games in
14 May, 2018 19:57
Having played one game more than everybody else we are in a position in the table that probably none of us anticipated. It is difficult to pinpoint why. Certainly we miss Toby badly. The no. 7 position remains unresolved. The undroppability of Rayner baffles me. Cartwright's batting is an enormous letdown even if his bowling has been an unexpected bonus. The Compton situation is unfathomable.

The question I would like answered by someone who has seen more games than me is - do we actually look like promotion prospects?

Re: Five games in
BREARS (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 20:01
No, we look disjointed, disspirited and moping because of the position we are in. At last someone agrees with me on Rayner, totally and utterly incomprehensible that he plays every single game. anyway we should cheer up, white ball stuff is next!

14 May, 2018 23:04
Without targeting specific players for our demise since winning the Championship there seems to be a lack of passion and team spirit amongst the squad that seems to reflect in a 'couldn't care less'attitude which was very evident in our batting display at Taunton last year where batsmen just seemed to give their wickets away without any grit or determination and seems to be continuing this season.
The squad thought they were to good to go down last year and when reality dawned that we were destined for the drop from the management downwards the excuses came rolling out - Arrowgate/Pitch at Taunton/Slow over rate etc.
The squad seemed to have approached this season with the attitude that we only have to turn up to get promoted and unless the management can install some sort of pride and spirit into the team then I fear we are destined to stay in Division 2 for the foreseeable future.
On reflection our relegation last year was a blessing in disguise as on current form we would be well and truly anchored at the foot of Division 1.

Patsy_Hendren (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 04:15
There is no reason why during the forthcoming Championship break that a period of reflection can be utilised.

There is a case of trying a spin partnership of Patel and Sowter when we restart. I expect that (even without Roland-Jones) that we could have a strong seam attack of which three could thrive. Rayner is a popular member of the team even it is not always apparent.

Gubbins, Holden and Eskinazi are an important part of the future with other contenders waiting in the wings.

It will be interesting to see how Finn fares with leading a developing List A team in the Royal London Cup this season.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/05/2018 10:14 by Patsy_Hendren.

15 May, 2018 09:54
Patsy I suspect you are Richard Scott using a nom de plume.

What on earth does Rayner is a popular member of the team even if it is not always apparent mean? I do not subscribe to the school of thought that runs '" He's a great guy that's why he's in the team" that seems to prevail sometimes.

Patsy_Hendren (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 10:28
Quote:
freddie tittlemouse
Patsy I suspect you are Richard Scott using a nom de plume.
What on earth does Rayner is a popular member of the team even if it is not always apparent mean? I do not subscribe to the school of thought that runs '" He's a great guy that's why he's in the team" that seems to prevail sometimes.

Thank you Freddie for your compliment. No, we are not related!

Certain cricketers gel better with their respective team managements than others. We have seen countless instances over many years.

I would personally love to see Ravi Patel feature more often, especially as he showed what he could do at Taunton last season.

Although not terribly consistent, Rayner's batting has had its moments whilst his slip catching has been rather useful. He faces competition from other spin bowlers which must be healthy. No individual is undroppable as we have seen elsewhere.

Much is made of a happy dressing room. I would like to see every team member to perform to the best of their ability and to earn their place on merit, irrespective of age or reputation.

Primrose Hillbilly (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 09:59
The more I look back on the last two seasons (- one more than the other), I recall what Gus said - that in 2016, individual players went for it, and came off at individual times, and sometimes two players came off together.

E.g. JKF and Simmo setting us on the road to victory at Ciderabad.

Last year, a lot of people assumed it would be more of the same and so there was no collective commitment to dig the team out of any holes. Each would do their own thing, without a collective will, and we would hope to prosper similarly, but that didn't happen.

Then, we got hit by Toby and Dawid's selections, the white ball disaster at Essex, (when we had them on the ropes at HQ !!!), and the team lost direction, as no one had put their hand up, and so no one else did either. We lost our mojo.

The only way forward is a lot of hard work, a lot of our quicks bending their backs, and the whole team resolving to make runs. But do they want to ......?

From a cursory look at the team at the sponsor's evening last Friday, I think most of them have their minds on something else. They had no spark, they resembled a herd of sheep awaiting their fate and really did not want to engage.

The impending disaster of whatever crock of cr@p the ECB come up with for Summer evening's entertainment must be a distraction - I know when my future employment was in jeopardy, it was hard to concentrate.

Gus needs to crack the whip.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net