cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Floodlights in use at last

Is the Exterminate Cricket Bureau Fit For Purpose ????
Primrose Hillbilly (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 20:48
Dear All,

Next to the excellently informed opinions on both here and the rugby board devoted to the fortunes of a club that used to play at Sudbury in North Middlesex, I find Private Eye to be the best source of reliable and amusing information.

One thing I have learned over the years is that once Hislop and colleagues have their eye on you, the only thing to do is to keep your head down and behave in the hope that they lose interest. If you try to take them on, a gleam comes into their eye, they fasten their teeth further into the flesh, and really go to work.

Thus it is with Colin Graves’ ECB. The latest Eye, – in an article entitled “Sticky Wickets” tells us that Barry O’ Brien, a corporate scumbag - correction - lawyer (- who wrote that word ???? ), has become a non – executive director of the ECB.

Bazza is also Chairman of Glamorgan C.C.C, the Eye tells us, which post he is expected to have to quit., now that he has been called to higher honours, as Colin Graves’ toilet seat warmer upper.

O’Brien was appointed – so the Eye reports - after it was revealed that Glamorgan had accepted a few hundred thousand quid in return for agreeing to not bid against mighty Headingly to host any international cricket matches. This caused two people already on the board to resign, and for a review to be instigated into the negotiations that led to Bazza being appointed to an entity that had just bunged – I mean paid - his soon to be former employer a chunk of change for agreeing to act possibly against their own interests.

Now, Bazza has joined the board of the entity overseeing the enquiry into the bung!!!I am sure it will be conducted without fear or favour. Absolutely ! Oh, yes, Bubba !!! No Doubt. Yes, indeed !!!!!!!! No corruption here !!!!!!.

There is, of course, no potential conflict of interest here. Let’s be clear about it right now.

THERE IS NO CONFLICT OF INTEREST !!!!!!!

However, the Eye does mention that a bloke called Barry O’Brien was convicted of a blatant conflict of interest in 2007, when he had to pay a fine of £9,000 when the Solicitors Disciplinary Panel convicted him of this charge. This Bazza turned out to be advising a consortium which included Philip Greed – I mean Green - of BHS fame in an attempt to take over M & S. Dayumm – M & S were already a client of the firm that was paying Bazza.

Could they - these two Barry O' Brien's - by any chance, be related?

This leads me to the bigger question.

The ECB appears incapable of governing itself. Two people have resigned over its internal corporate governance. Now they appoint this .................... highly eligible person, who is a also a soliciting legal practitioner.

The Test team is a joke. The 4 day game is being pensioned off, yet it supports the Test team, and we aspire to be the No. 1 team in the world – Really?. We were comprehensively outplayed in Australia, even allowing for the width of a few pieces of sandpaper deciding some sessions.

So far, the ECB’s greatest achievement with the men’s elite squad has been to make us better between ODI world cups – well done !!!! Just when everyone else is not peaking.

The big idea – apparently - is to appeal to the “Mumsnet” generation of parents, yet, at the same time, local village clubs have been closing for the last 15 years, and there is no cricket to watch on “free to view” TV worthy of the name.

So, they invent a format of the game that isn’t played anywhere else in the world, and we are the entity that turned our noses up at the idea of T20 anyway. Horse ...................... Stable Door, .....................Bolted................... Well managed, chaps. More coffee and biccies, anyone??.

So, the Biggie :

Is the ECB fit for purpose?

I say, No, No Noooooooo, and it doesn’t get to go to rehab either!!!!!

ECB – Out, Out Out!!!! Unless it really is set up to wipe out our game, at which it appears to be doing a really good job. In which case, Out ! Out ! Out !

All suits, accusations etc............. > Kev or Beefy at the usual address.

P.S. - At £2.00 per issue, the Eye's cartoons alone offer excellent value, by the way.

Yrs,

Harzhhat Corrtinbold, Albhy Dubbya, H A Trick, et al.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/05/2018 21:06 by Primrose Hillbilly.

Re: Is the Exterminate Cricket Bureau Fit For Purpose ????
Bagpuss (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 09:59
Splendid piece by Marina Hyde in the Guardian yesterday too. As was the tweet she used to promote it (one word modified by me)

"@MarinaHyde
My bit on Colin Graves, who - even in British sporting governance - is pen!s inter pares"

Primrose Hillbilly (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 10:16
Implying that he's a bit of a shiny, brass door attachment?

I'd go much stronger than that.

But I carnt.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 20:28
The short answer PH is........noooooooo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net