cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

RIP JT Murray Middlesex legend

Radlett
BarmierKev (IP Logged)
20 May, 2018 19:59
Having played two games at Radlett was wondering for those who attended what they thought of facility.

My opinion is
Negatives.
1/ Need more mens toilets
2/ Good vantage points not easy to find
3/ Seemed to be some uneven bounce on the outfield

Positives.
1/ Staff/Stewards all over ground very friendly and welcoming.
2/ Catering/drinking facilities much better than other out grounds.
3/ I found the ground enchanting.

Any other views?

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Re: Radlett
rod/ed (IP Logged)
20 May, 2018 22:47
Some raised seating in a temporary stand, and being allowed to use the pavilion toilet outwith the players interval would improve the visitor experience.
With a couple of decent ales on tap it was a good ground to visit.

Fozzie (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 08:21
I think you've summed up the pros and cons pretty well, Kev. Personally l like the ground very much, though I'm aware that we have mostly been very lucky with the weather during our times there.

Beeamazed (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 10:48
It knocks Uxbridge into a cocked hat on all fronts imho

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 15:34
Quote:
Beeamazed

Bit OTT bea. Uxbridge exit and entrance to car park is superior and safer. A queue of cars on Thursday on 50 mph single carriage way road scary when queuing in the middle of the road to get into Radlett..

The Uxbridge Pavilion and players pavilion certainly is not knocked into a cocked hat.

And the outfield probably a notch or two better. And a local umpire who has officiated at both grounds reckons Uxbridge is the better batting track.

Rod/Ed comments re toilets is correct and also the ones near the hospitality could not be used leaving one block with a huge queue on the pavilion side. Needs addressing..

I enjoyed both days there if not the performance on Thursday....

I now await the ABUs to pile in with banal comments.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/05/2018 15:37 by Seaxe_Man.

middlefan (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 16:12
Quote:
Beeamazed

I agree entirely.

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 19:32
For some reason, there didn’t seem to be much applause when the score or partnership passed 50, 100, 150 etc. or when a good over was bowled. I wouldn’t say it was a case of the spectators paying little attention to the match, so perhaps it was just that the match was attended by a different set of spectators compared to Middlesex matches at Lord’s or other outgrounds.

When I first began attending matches, it was the case at every limited-overs match that the scoreboard would show how many overs each bowler had bowled, even if this required a separate board to be added specifically for this purpose. However, this doesn’t seem to be prerequisite anymore, as there was no such board at this match nor a couple of other limited-overs matches I have attended at outgrounds in recent years. As well as spectators being unsure how many overs each bowler had bowled (unless they looked at their phones or were keeping a scorebook), I have no idea how the players knew! Maybe the captains had to regularly ask the umpires. Joe Denly regularly put himself into the attack, and it felt like he got through about 12 overs, but he actually only bowled 9. When Paul Stirling and Stevie Eskinazi were going well, I said to Lower Mound that I bet that Denly would bring himself on and break the partnership, and that is exactly what happened!

adelaide (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 23:04
Temporary stands are expensive. I think Russell Grant sponsored them for a time at Southgate, at least, but there was nothing like that towards the end. The lack of such stands does mean that you may have to stand for much of the day, which is not something I would look forward to these days.

Getting there by public transport is not easy. Radlett is probably bus-free on a Sunday. On the other hand the very difficulty of getting there did result in me having a nice walk across the fields from Borehamwood. And once you get there the ground certainly has its charms. I rather like the way long on (from one end) is almost fielding in a valley.

In some ways it might be better suited to the smaller crowds for the Championship, though the pitch would have to be up for a four rather than one day match.

Adelaide

Primrose Hillbilly (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 10:33
I have to say that I agree with JW here.

I find that the Radlett spectator crew are a very pleasant, very bland, very suburban lot, a lot of whom come in big family or friend groups. A day at Radlett is a social day out for them, and not a day at cricket. It's a day where a bloke living nearby can do a sort of "corporate day" near to home, drink beer with mates / work colleagues, and be outdoors.

The cricket appears to be secondary for a lot of people.

The PA system announcements appearing to be delivered through several layers of socks does not help, but the open air surroundings may similarly dissipate the applause for any milestone or achievement too, but if the crowd were to be told what to applaud for, it would certainly be a step in the right direction.

22 May, 2018 11:43
Move it about 50 miles south and it might do the biz.

Patsy_Hendren (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 15:36
A scenic club ground which provided an exciting contest between two capable teams.

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 20:04
When David Warner signed for a brief stint at Middlesex in 2010, he was told that a stand at Lord's had been named after him, and he apparently fell for it! When James Harris signed, he was told that a garden at Lord's had been named after him, but he didn't fall for it! I wonder how Nathan Sowter would react if he was told that the Salter's Field end at Radlett had been named after him.

adelaide (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 22:35
Quote:
freddie tittlemouse

Do we really want a home ground near Gatwick Airport though?

Adelaide

23 May, 2018 09:46
Quote:
adelaide
Quote:
freddie tittlemouse

Do we really want a home ground near Gatwick Airport though?

Adelaide
Do we really want a home ground near Heathrow? (Lords)

adelaide (IP Logged)
23 May, 2018 10:43
Freddie

My point was meant to be that the ground would be in Surrey or Sussex! At least Hertfordshire is not a first class cricket county and only a short hop away.

I think Martin Emmerson (the Durham commentator) would like a pitch about 100 metres from the runway...

Adelaide

Primrose Hillbilly (IP Logged)
24 May, 2018 07:57
Last time I looked there was a Harris garden at Radlett, named after our current player.

When Gus decided to work them hard over the Winter in 2015 ' 16, he had them doing all sorts at Radlett, including putting in some fencing to try to speed up the process of recovering the ball from beyond the boundary at the bottom / main road side of the ground, as this had previously necessitated hacking around in the undergrowth.

Poddy, Harry, Gubbo and a few other notables were in the chain gang, and a quite noticeable kink in the fence was awarded its very own laminated label, commemorating their collective work, but attributing this individual bend entirely to 'arry's 'andiwork.

Nice one, James. Long may you prosper.

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
24 May, 2018 09:09
"Poddy, Harry, Gubbo and a few other notables were in the chain gang"

This included Essex Sam Cooke

adelaide (IP Logged)
24 May, 2018 12:09
Quote:
BarmierKev
"Poddy, Harry, Gubbo and a few other notables were in the chain gang"
This included Essex Sam Cooke

What a wonderful world. Sam Cooke's songs also included Chain Gang and (appropriately given the fence) Twisting' the Night Away.

Lose the "e" and you have the Essex man!

Adelaide

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
24 May, 2018 12:43
Reading the postings on Radlett,etc...let's just enjoy the more relaxed surroundings of the outgrounds.
Not all are to everyone's liking,would be boring if we all liked everything together!
I wasn't at the Radlett games,but heard about the traffic problems gaining car park entrance.
MTS have parking problems as well.
Uxbridge,easiest way to gain parking entrance from the south along park road is to go past entrance,go completely around roundabout and back on yourself!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 24/05/2018 13:51 by BeefyRoberts.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net