cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

RIP JT Murray Middlesex legend

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
RLC: Glamorgan versus Middlesex at Cardiff 23.05.18
Patsy_Hendren (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 14:41
Following two opening matches at Radlett, the team will visit Glamorgan for a day/night match at Cardiff with the confidence that comes from beating Kent.

Richard Scott has announced a 15-man squad:

Barber Cartwright Eskinazi Finn* Franklin Fuller Gubbins Harris Helm Holden Morgan Patel Simpson+ Sowter Stirling

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 26/05/2018 08:30 by BarmierKev.

Re: RLC: Glamorgan versus Middlesex at Cardiff 23.05.18
Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 19:47
I look forward to watching some of this match on Sky when I get home from work tomorrow, assuming Middlesex haven't lost by that point!

It is great to see that James Fuller is in contention to make his first appearance for our 1st XI since 7th May 2017. As well as being a skillful limited-overs bowler (who can do well in first-class matches too), he is also a handy batsman. Such is Hilton Cartwright’s batting form this season, it would arguably strengthen both our batting and bowling if Fuller replaces him!

Fuller is one of four members of our squad who did not play v Kent at Radlett on Sunday, with the three others being Tom Barber, James Harris and Max Holden, so we have added three fast bowlers and one batsman. I wouldn’t have thought we would like to replace Steven Finn and/or Tom Helm, but we may do so at some point during the remainder of our campaign to keep everyone fresh. I hope Holden made it in time for the coach from Uxbridge, as he played in a Second Eleven Trophy match v Surrey at Sunbury today, scoring 53.

Glamorgan have named a 14-man squad for this match consisting of Colin Ingram (c), David Lloyd, Lukas Carey, Nick Selman, Tom Cullen, Michael Hogan, Shaun Marsh, Graham Wagg, Aneurin Donald, Ruaidhri Smith, Andrew Salter, Marchant de Lange, Timm van der Gugten and Chris Cooke.

Tomorrow marks 100 years since the birth of Denis Compton, so maybe the club and/or Sky will do something to mark that.

I will be unable to post on MTWD about our matches v Sussex at Hove on Friday and v Somerset at Taunton on Sunday, as I will be in Italy between Thursday and Tuesday due to my cousin getting married, so hopefully we will enter those matches with back-to-back wins and then perform well at Hove and Taunton. If Cartwright comes good in those matches, he will be unable to see any egg on my face due to the fact I will be away.

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
23 May, 2018 00:58
After a 10 hr flight from Vegas,a train journey is just what the doctor ordered later today to rid jet-lag!
Looking forward to first one-day game of season for myself.
As it's in Cardiff, will again be wearing our Diamond Shirts for our good mate...he loved coming to Sophia Gardens to watch the Middle so let's hope we put on a performance to suit him watching down.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 24/05/2018 08:29 by BeefyRoberts.

Rocks&Boulders (IP Logged)
23 May, 2018 13:43
Glamorgan won the toss and will bowl.

Unchanged line-up for The Middle.

adelaide (IP Logged)
23 May, 2018 14:13
"The live feed will be back shortly".

"The future made simple by Deeserve".

Not simple enough to get the feed working.

Adelaide

mglinert (IP Logged)
23 May, 2018 15:10
am thinking of turning the sound down on my smartphone so I don't hear the wicket alerts. Do you think that would help?

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
23 May, 2018 16:17
Innings folding again after a good start. Usual problem where main batters got in but did'nt go on to the required big score.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/05/2018 11:36 by Seaxe_Man.

23 May, 2018 17:23
304/6 from the 50 overs.
Pleased with that in the end.

Stirling 25
Gubbins 53
Eskinazi 49
Morgan 57
Cartwright 37
Simpson 0
Franklin not out 62
Sowter not out 16
extras 5

Helm
Finn
Patel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/05/2018 17:25 by Rocks&Boulders.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
23 May, 2018 17:26
Very much with thanks to Frank the Tank with an unbeaten 61 with help from Nathan Sowter we passed the rubicon of 300. 304 for 6.

They showed what can be achieved by pacing the innings correctly. Too much haste means we often leave 40 runs out there.

Glamorgan seemed to have a plethora of spinners: not our favourite diet.

23 May, 2018 19:00
Glamorgan 84/0 (15).

Wickets needed as soon as.

23 May, 2018 19:24
I fear that there will come a point when Middlesex are made to pay for their tendency to not make it count when they get List A or Twenty20 innings off to a good start, especially as many other teams are able to score runs throughout their batting order. Still, it is better than not getting off to a good start, and at least we managed to squeeze past 300 like on Sunday.

It is great that James Franklin has contributed with the bat in all three matches so far (although some may not feel that 29 not out off 42 v Essex could be considered as an impressive contribution), and has scored 120 important late-innings runs without being dismissed. So, credit where credit’s due.

I wasn’t sure if we would be able to defend our total when 33 came off the first four overs of Glamorgan’s reply. However, the introduction of Ravi Patel, Nathan Sowter and Paul Stirling has considerably improved our chances of winning, as it has so far yielded three wickets and got the rate required close to 7.00.

Before this match, Stevie Eskinazi spoke to ECB Reporters Network about our Royal London Cup campaign. Well done to him on scoring 49.

23 May, 2018 20:14
Middlesex really need to break this partnership between Colin Ingram and David Lloyd, as the game is slipping away from us.

I am not surprised to see Hilton Cartwright introduced, as it means that our main bowlers will have overs up their sleeve for the death overs. Hopefully his introduction will spur a breakthrough.

23 May, 2018 20:35
Quote:
Jonathan Winsky
Hopefully his [Hilton Cartwright’s] introduction will spur a breakthrough.

I meant that I hoped he would take a wicket, not concede 14 precious runs off his only over, which added pressure to Ravi Patel, off whose bowling Cartwright at least took a catch.

I would like to think this breakthrough and then Paul Stirling taking his second wicket of the evening will give Middlesex a chance. However, Glamorgan still have five wickets in hand and require little more than a-run-a-ball, so we have lots of work to do.

It seems surprising that James Franklin has only bowled two overs, as his economy is only 4.50 so far. I have never really been a fan of Franklin, so I can’t believe I have praised his batting and bowling tonight!

Steven Finn and Tom Helm both have three overs left, so we can’t go back to them until 44 overs have been bowled if we wish them to bowl the final six overs of the innings. However, we could continue with spin beyond that point if we feel that our spinners are doing a good job.

23 May, 2018 20:51
Commentator Mark Butcher was surprised that Steven Finn brought himself back on after 43 overs as opposed to after 44 overs, as it means that he can’t bowl every remaining over from that particular end. Maybe Finn miscounted, or maybe it was because he felt that if he took a wicket, then it would have been preferable to delaying his reintroduction. In the event, the over yielded six runs and no wicket.

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
23 May, 2018 21:21
Never in doubt.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

23 May, 2018 21:34
YAAAAAAS !!!

23 May, 2018 21:35
Middlesex’s chances of qualification for the knockout stages didn’t feel too great after being well beaten by Essex at Radlett six days ago, but it is looking much better after winning our next two matches. However, the wins would have been more comfortable had we batted and fielded better, so hopefully it won’t cost us when it comes to net run rate or if we are involved in any more tight matches.

When it came down to Glamorgan requiring 37 off 27 with three wickets remaining, I felt that the match would be decided by whether or not they could score boundaries. If we could prevent them from doing so, then I felt we should win, but if they could score boundaries, then Glamorgan would have a good chance. Thankfully, their only boundaries between then and the fourth ball of the final over were a couple of fluky fours. However, it was typical Middlesex that with 16 required off the final 4 balls, three boundaries should then follow to add some nerves, although the main thing is that those flurry of boundaries didn’t come a couple of overs earlier.

Although it didn’t change the fact we won, the fact the final ball of the match resulted in a four rather than a catch for Hilton Cartwright makes a slight difference to our net run rate.

adelaide (IP Logged)
23 May, 2018 21:38
A few inches short of a tie! Which would have been better than I was hoping for when Lloyd was slapping it about. It does sound as if the Glammies rather gave it away, though if our innings hadn't had the usual slump they might not have been in it.

Question for anyone who was actually watching it on TV. For the last ball, did the fielder deliberately miss the catch because he knew it was not going over the rope, rather than risk tipping it over? Commentary suggested he slipped - but he might just have been boxing clever.

I thought Mark Wallace came over well as (radio) commentator by the way.

Adelaide

23 May, 2018 22:06
Quote:
adelaide
A few inches short of a tie! Which would have been better than I was hoping for when Lloyd was slapping it about. It does sound as if the Glammies rather gave it away, though if our innings hadn't had the usual slump they might not have been in it.
Question for anyone who was actually watching it on TV. For the last ball, did the fielder deliberately miss the catch because he knew it was not going over the rope, rather than risk tipping it over? Commentary suggested he slipped - but he might just have been boxing clever.

I thought Mark Wallace came over well as (radio) commentator by the way.

Adelaide

I thought Cartwright was done by the light. (Sm8)

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
23 May, 2018 23:25
This was a great game,a 50 over game that ebbed and flowed.
The last 90 mins..WOW.
Atmosphere as both sides could win,each ball was greeted with silence.
We won,we won a great game of one day cricket.
To sit there and hear the Glamorgan followers going up and down,with us doing same was brilliant.
Well done the Middle,great win

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net