cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

RIP JT Murray Middlesex legend

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Re: Hilton Cartwright
adelaide (IP Logged)
03 June, 2018 21:57
If selected, Chunky, if selected and I'm struggling to see why he should be. He must be a better player than he has shown us but I really don't want to see him playing on WednesdaY.

Adelaide

03 June, 2018 22:19
The only promising report I have read about Hoss Cartwright is that he is part of an up and coming breed of young Australian cricketers.
If correct I must presume the Ashes will stay in our possession for a few years!!

adelaide (IP Logged)
03 June, 2018 23:56
Hoss? Getting a bit close to rhyming slang there?

Adelaide

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
04 June, 2018 05:59
There's a lot of muddled thinking, isn't there?

We don't play Compton, because we want to give the youngsters a chance,

Then we leave Max Holden out after he scores 84 not out against Sussex, but keep picking Cartwright, who isn't in any way, shape or form an investment in our future.

Even the odd 30 he makes is sketchy, with a dropped chance a long the way.

He doesn't even look like he might make a score.

Rob Key on Stoneman- 'When he is batting, even when he makes 30, you feel like it's only a matter of time before he gets out. Others might make only 20, but you feel like it is only a matter of time before they make a hundred.'

I'm sure he is trying, but it isn't working. It's a great shame when you 'lose' the supporters, but we aren't investing in our future picking him (the excuse used to put Compton on gardening leave). If he wasn't the 'overseas' he would have been dropped a long time ago.

Patsy_Hendren (IP Logged)
04 June, 2018 17:44
Hilton Cartwright will potentially play in four matches, if selected, before his current contract ends at the end of June.

* Gloucestershire versus Middlesex at Bristol
* Middlesex versus the Australians at Lord's
* Leicestershire versus Middlesex at Leicester
* Kent versus Middlesex at Canterbury

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
04 June, 2018 18:56
With Dawid Malan available for Middlesex's match v Gloucestershire at Bristol on Wednesday, I - and no doubt many of our supporters - would prefer Hilton Cartwright to be the one to make way rather than someone like Nick Gubbins or Stevie Eskinazi.

Although Cartwright has so far been a disappointment during his time at the club (apart from with is bowling in the County Championship), it wouldn't surprise if, once his spell has ended, he rediscovers the form which has earned him four appearances for Australia, and he maybe even pays the ultimate insult by performing well against England at some point.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
04 June, 2018 19:25
4 and out yesterday summed up his season with the Middle.

HDO. Philander was an unknown 21 year old when he played for the Middle but he always looked useful in his short stay.

Like many of our short term o/s players. They all seem to gain momentum when they move on. I wonder why.

04 June, 2018 19:43
Adelaide - rhyming slang was not intended!!
When I saw him fielding on the boundary yesterday he struck a resemblance to the character of Hoss Cartwright of Bonanza fame.
To be fair he did achieve a strike rate of 133
First ball in the mid-drift - second for 4 - out third ball.

06 June, 2018 14:45
Hilton Cartwright has proved to be an ever-present since his debut for Middlesex this season. He remains at no.5 for the final Royal London One-Day Cup group match versus Gloucestershire at Bristol today.

Westrock (IP Logged)
06 June, 2018 16:18
Welcome to the party a fine innings

06 June, 2018 16:19
I recommend we extend his contract until the year 2030.

Primrose Hillbilly (IP Logged)
09 June, 2018 09:57
My initial optimism about what an Aussie can contribute towards the esprit de corps of the team, as well as on the field (Phil Hughes, Buck Rogers, Glenn McGrath ............) was - just that, based on my bias towards the people with whom I believe we enjoy the real special relationship.

I was wrong to be so optimistic.

He made runs when we were out of the Royal London - strange that, when the pressure's off, yet his one over against the Mexicans cost 12 when we needed to keep it tight as our only hope.

I don't think he has either the skillset nor the temperament to perform at the level we require either as a batsman or bowler.

He certainly ain't the answer to any prayers we had for an all rounder.

Bin him.

Time for our second eleven players to be given a chance this year in all competitions from now on.

Goodbye Compo, Franco, DialM, possibly even Ravi, as he can't holds crucial catches, and the boot to be applied to the rears of everyone else.

Shape up, or ship out.

Jack Hearne (IP Logged)
13 June, 2018 00:59
Hilton Cartwright's current record is:

First-class Batting:
Matches 6, Innings 9, NO 0, Runs 78, HS 30, Average 8.66, 100s 0, 50s 0, Caught 4

First-class Bowling:
Balls 433, Maidens 9, Runs 237, Wickets 11, BB 4/43, Average 21.54, 5wI 0, 10wM 0

List A Batting:
Matches 9, Innings 9, NO 1, Runs 220, HS 60*, Average 27.50, 100s 50, 50s 0, Caught 0

List A Bowling
Balls 124, Maidens 1, Runs 155, Wickets 1, BB 1/31, Average 155.00, 4wM 0, 5wM 0

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/06/2018 01:00 by Jack Hearne.

28 June, 2018 06:32
The contract of our overseas registration Hilton Cartwright ended following the recent SCC match at Canterbury. It was originally extended from the end of May to the end of June.

He batted well versus Gloucestershire at Bristol in the Royal London One-Day Cup and also versus Leicestershire at Grace Road in the Specsavers County Championship. His bowling was also noted.

28 June, 2018 06:53
A few weeks ago I posted on one of the threads that in three years time we would all forget Hilton Cartwright ever played for us.

I've revised that opinion. The people we tend to forget are those who were neither brilliant, nor dreadful. I think that those who are still here in 30 years time will remember the name Hilton Cartwright. It could have been even worse batting wise if the bails had come off when he was 'bowled' on 0 against Leicestershire. That led to his best score of 80.

Yes, he picked up wickets, but would you be happy with a number 9 who scored 50's, but never took a wicket?

Jack Hearne (IP Logged)
28 June, 2018 07:33
Quote:
chunkyinargyll
A few weeks ago I posted on one of the threads that in three years time we would all forget Hilton Cartwright ever played for us.
I've revised that opinion. The people we tend to forget are those who were neither brilliant, nor dreadful. I think that those who are still here in 30 years time will remember the name Hilton Cartwright. It could have been even worse batting wise if the bails had come off when he was 'bowled' on 0 against Leicestershire. That led to his best score of 80.

Yes, he picked up wickets, but would you be happy with a number 9 who scored 50's, but never took a wicket?

Chunky has made several valid points. As we have seen, we are likely to remember Cartwright because of the glimpses which we have seen of his undoubted potential.

Several of our overseas cricketers (e.g. Gomes and Philander) have undoubtedly prospered elsewhere.

A surprising number of cricketers have performed well against type. It can not possibly help team planning although an unanticipated versatility can have its uses.

Everyone deserves a little luck. Perhaps it has something to do with the law of averages.

adelaide (IP Logged)
28 June, 2018 10:08
I think it is somewhat insulting to Larry "Enfield cricketer weds" Gomes in the same sentence as Cartwright as he played successfully for the county for a good few years. OK, I don't think we saw him as Test player but there was a lot of competition.

Philander was young and a short term signing and didn't pull up trees. In that respect he is a closer comparison but Cartwright is not young - he is 26 - and should have been showing more than glimpses of potential. I wish him well in his future career but I would prefer that it is not with Middlesex.

I still cannot get my head round the inconsistency of saying you are going to bring youth through and then letting a short term Zimbabwe-born Aussie occupy a place despite having done not a lot to justify it. Oh, apart from giving the team balance but he had to make a reasonable amount of runs to justify that billing.

Adelaide

Jack Hearne (IP Logged)
28 June, 2018 11:31
I also have fond memories of Gomes who I enjoyed watching. I simply felt that he did better later in his career. I accept that perhaps he might not have been the best comparison.

We expected more from Cartwright but that could also be said about several of his colleagues.

Primrose Hillbilly (IP Logged)
30 June, 2018 18:31
I would seriously love to know what the Windies saw in Hilary Angelo Larry Gomes after his somewhat indistinguished performances for us.

Did we not also have an Indian seamer with us for a time - when Owais was with us - and despite opening the bowling with Srinath for India, he never took a wicket for us?

I thin we can see McGrath's imprint all over Toby with us, despite him not really sparking in the middle for the Middle, but yet again, I have to say that my optimism in our signing an Aussie whom I hoped would ignite the dressing room and be the pivot all rounder in the side was misplaced,

The poor chap is out of his depth, which means he will move to Somerset next year and prosper.

Fozzie (IP Logged)
30 June, 2018 20:21
Overseas players' performances will always be in the spotlight for obvious reason. We will remember Cartwright's underwhelming batting, but a glance at the Championship averages shows that he is just one of a number of desperately disappointing under-achievers - above the hapless Robbo, and not far behind Simmo and Stirling. By contrast, his bowling has over-achieved, and he has been the main support for Murts and Harris. And his fielding has been consistently excellent.

Of course on balance his signing has to be regarded as a failure, as he was brought in primarily to strengthen the batting. I just think that some of the criticism is a bit OTT, particularly in a season that is suggesting that the structural problems at the club go way beyond individual under-achievement.

I do think, though, that a lesson to be learned is that with the season now starting in early April, and a large chunk of Championship matches being played before mid-May, it is very risky to sign an overseas batsman who has no prior experience of English conditions.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net