cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

RIP JT Murray Middlesex legend

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Hilton Cartwright
27 May, 2018 17:03
Can anyone remember an overseas player worse than Hilton Cartwright?

Re: Hilton Cartwright
chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
27 May, 2018 17:09
He's partly redeemed himself by being a reasonable change bowler.

But he was employed mainly to be a front line batsman.

Even on the occasions he has got 30 odd he has usually been dropped at least once along the way.

I have a feeling in 3 years time we will have forgotten he ever played for us.

27 May, 2018 17:23
Before today's game
50 over game - Batting average 23.25 - Bowling 112 - 1 x wicket
CC Div.2 - Batting average 9.75 - Bowling 21.55 - 11 x wickets (reasonable)
5 x catches (1+4)
You struggle to think what our management were thinking when we signed him - we obviously got him on the cheap.

adelaide (IP Logged)
27 May, 2018 18:09
Fair comment, though much better overseas batsmen than him have struggled in early season English conditions. His duck in benign conditions against Gloucestershire was indicative of a lack of confidence, I think, following his earlier struggles.

Adelaide

27 May, 2018 19:31
I remember as a young boy waiting to find out who our next overseas player would be and you didn't have to look him up - players like Wayne Daniel/Jaques Kallis/Desmond Haynes to name but a few were household names - I must admit Vintcent van der Bijil was not a name I was familiar with but I still think he turned out to be our best ever overseas acquisition.
Now when our overseas player is named its a case of WHO!!
Once we used to shop in Harrods for our overseas players now it appears we look for bargains in the £ shop

27 May, 2018 19:55
This was an unusual situation though.

Initially we weren't looking for anyone, then injuries made a short term acquisition a necessity.

I suspect Cartwright was already in the UK expecting to just play club cricket (anyone confirm?) so it was more akin to getting an english player on loan to cover an injury crisis than signing an overseas superstar.

On that basis I doubt we are paying him anything like the sort of money we spent on Rogers or Voges.

28 May, 2018 00:48
A contentious issue I know but if we didn't have a certain Mr.Compton on our books who it seems is excused work for the season on full pay the money saved could have gone towards a decent overseas batsman.
The Mexicans always seem to attract a 'big name' and although it doesn't always work out at least their management are forward thinking.
Had we had signed Kumar Sangakkara last year rather than relegation we could well have retained the title!!

28 May, 2018 11:20
I would have travelled a long way to watch Haynes Daniel and Kallis in action. I wouldn't go very far to see Hilton Cartwright.

The Compton situation is very unsatisfactory. Has there been any communication from the powers that be about it?

hdo (IP Logged)
28 May, 2018 18:46
To answer the original question, I don't recall Vernon Philander setting the world alight when he was with us.

Patsy_Hendren (IP Logged)
28 May, 2018 19:35
Some of our overseas registrations fare better than others. Even David Warner struggled in the t20! He is not exactly a poor batsman.

Cartwright was signed as a promising all-rounder with Test experience. Like other cricketers, he has experienced a loss of form.

28 May, 2018 19:35
It looked promising today with a second ball boundary but it proved not to be.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2018 13:14 by Patsy_Hendren.

02 June, 2018 12:08
Hilton Cartwright was hurt whilst preventing a boundary during the Hampshire match at Northwood.He is expected to be fit to face Surrey at Lord's if selected.

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
02 June, 2018 15:22
We hope that Hilton wasn't badly injured and will play tomorrow.

Westrock (IP Logged)
03 June, 2018 12:17
More Travelodge than Hilton

03 June, 2018 13:17
Following today's disappointing innings, we trust that a match winning innings will be just around the corner.

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
03 June, 2018 14:14
More chance of going up a one way street the wrong way.

03 June, 2018 14:57
Stilton Cartwright

Like mouldy cheese.

03 June, 2018 15:01
How about settling for a 'fivefer'?

03 June, 2018 15:05
We must hope Hilton Cartwright can redeem himself when he comes on to bowl.

03 June, 2018 19:16
Unfortunately Hilton Cartwright did not redeem himself when he came on to bowl.

We must hope he can redeem himself on Wednesday, against Gloucestershire.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net