cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Tribute to Diamond at Leicester

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Re: Hilton Cartwright
hdo (IP Logged)
30 June, 2018 22:03
Quote:
Primrose Hillbilly
Did we not also have an Indian seamer with us for a time - when Owais was with us - and despite opening the bowling with Srinath for India, he never took a wicket for us?

I believe you're talking about Ajit Agarkar. Another underwhelming overseas player.

Jack Hearne (IP Logged)
30 June, 2018 23:05
Quote:
hdo
Quote:
Primrose Hillbilly
Did we not also have an Indian seamer with us for a time - when Owais was with us - and despite opening the bowling with Srinath for India, he never took a wicket for us?

I believe you're talking about Ajit Agarkar. Another underwhelming overseas player.

An Indian leg-spinner Yogesh Golwalkar played briefly towards the end of the 2005 season. However he took six wickets on his debut versus Kent.

Ajit Agarkar took three wickets versus Gloucestershire as a short-term replacement for Glenn McGrath in 2004.

We were under strict instructions from Cricket Australia to limit McGrath's appearances during his brief spell with us.

[en.m.wikipedia.org]

adelaide (IP Logged)
01 July, 2018 00:46
Quote:
Jack Hearne
Quote:
hdo
Quote:
Primrose Hillbilly

An Indian leg-spinner Yogesh Golwalkar played briefly towards the end of the 2005 season. However he took six wickets on his debut versus Kent.

Ajit Agarkar took three wickets versus Gloucestershire as a short-term replacement for Glenn McGrath in 2004.

We were under strict instructions from Cricket Australia to limit McGrath's appearances during his brief spell with us.

[en.m.wikipedia.org]

Agarkar and McGrath played in the same team at Southgate against Kent in 2004, so one cannot have been a short term replacement for the other. I saw day 3. I can recall some determined chanting of Agarkar's name, totally unrelated to what was going on in front of them, by supporters who were presumably of Indian origin! Our attack was McGrath, Agarkar, Cook, Betts, Weekes, Dalrymple (and Shah). Cook was about to depart for Kent, I think and Betts was, well, Betts, so the seeds of our decline to come were pretty visible.

As Middlesex built their lead on day 3, I can recall some Kent supporters saying that they might as well have been playing Narnia as Middlesex wasn't a real county. I countered by pointing out that an unreal county was giving their real one a bit of a bashing. They were not optimistic about saving the match; as their second innings opened Roger Joseph came ambling round the ground, to noisy shouts of "get your pads on, Roger"!

The match was drifting to a draw on day 4 until Shah took a vital wicket.

Mr Golwalkar surely has the distinction of having taken the wicket that saved us at Surrey's expense, so I can't Bear criticsim of Yogi.

Adelaide

Primrose Hillbilly (IP Logged)
01 July, 2018 12:48
Thank you, Yes, Agarkar's the fellow.

Was he not known as "the Bombay Duck" after a fairly non contributory spell with the bat?

Jack Hearne (IP Logged)
01 July, 2018 13:22
Quote:
Primrose Hillbilly
Thank you, Yes, Agarkar's the fellow.
Was he not known as "the Bombay Duck" after a fairly non contributory spell with the bat?

Ajit Agarkar represented Middlesex in three first-class matches (at Worcester Southgate and Lord's) during the 2004 English season. He took 10 first-class wickets with a personal best of 5/81 on his final FC appearance versus Gloucestershire at Lord's in August 2004.

His highest first-class score for Middlesex was 22 on debut versus Worcestershire at Worcester in July 2004. He played twice without McGrath and once with him (versus Kent at Southgate on McGrath's debut).

The wicketless appearance was at Southgate when he also scored 0 & 1* and took one catch.

tallliman (IP Logged)
01 July, 2018 16:49
McGrath scored 24 to get us the 5th batting point from memory. We won on the last day after a good battle. I miss Southgate!

Al the panther (IP Logged)
03 July, 2018 01:11
What about Joe Burns?

Al the panther (IP Logged)
03 July, 2018 01:19
Quote:
Bring back the Crusaders
Can anyone remember an overseas player worse than Hilton Cartw
right?

What about Joe Burns?

Fozzie (IP Logged)
03 July, 2018 15:00
You don't get rid of Cartwright that easily - this thread could run and run! [www.middlesexccc.com]

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
03 July, 2018 15:02
Beat me to it, Fozzie!

Oh well, I never expected us to win T20 anyway.

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
03 July, 2018 15:06
Has been retained by us for first 3 games,Agar playing for the Aussies overseas.

Fozzie (IP Logged)
03 July, 2018 15:30
Of course there will be another overseas vacancy when Bravo leaves after 6 matches....

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
03 July, 2018 15:39
You mean....

He could hang around for a week or two, and re-sign for the rest of the season.

(Sm110)

03 July, 2018 17:44
Bit like Hotel California. He can check out but he can never leave.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net