cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

RIP JT Murray Middlesex legend

Bank holiday Monday
chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
28 May, 2018 09:45
and no county cricket anywhere.

Test match finished a day early (not that difficult to predict that might happen)- so- absolutely nothing for the cricket fan.

What we really need is a 16.4 over competition, because people just aren't going to county games anymore.

ECB are beyond stupid with their fixture list- but there again, they don't want county cricket to be a success, do they?

Re: Bank holiday Monday
BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
28 May, 2018 11:31
Think if you go through fixture lists from past seasons Chunky,it's always the same.
We got games on Tues and Weds,why not move those to the Monday,maximise crowds and give clubs some possible extra revenue.
27th August is next bank holiday,and no games planned that I can see.
We have got a seconds game at Southgate vs Mexicans starting today for 3 days.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/05/2018 13:06 by BeefyRoberts.

tbl (IP Logged)
28 May, 2018 11:46
Totally agree - typical ECB idiocy

Re: Bank Holiday Monday
Patsy_Hendren (IP Logged)
28 May, 2018 20:11
If we remember a previous generation when the Whitsun Bank Holiday presented a fuller schedule. A Sussex batsman named Kepler Wessels scored 254 versus Middlesex.

We may move full circle and those days may return.

PaulR_enfield (IP Logged)
28 May, 2018 21:04
Quote:
BeefyRoberts
We got games on Tues and Weds,why not move those to the Monday,maximise crowds and give clubs some possible extra revenue.

That would be far too logical for those clowns at the ECB to comprehend.

Southgate was ok though

stockmos (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 10:40
Seeing as you all know best, why not simply draw up a fixture list for us that's so much better and that would completely satisify spectators, clubs, players, England and Sky TV?

29 May, 2018 12:24
Well, how about four one day matches on Sunday, and another four on Monday, rather than eight all on Sunday.

And teams have been known to play two days in a row.

stockmos (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 13:14
Quote:
chunkyinargyll
Well, how about four one day matches on Sunday, and another four on Monday, rather than eight all on Sunday.

I don't see who that would assist, except people who like to travel around to watch different games. The number who do, and who would go two days in a row, must be a tiny amount.

Quote:
chunkyinargyll

And teams have been known to play two days in a row.

They have, but players and coaching staff quite rightly hate it, and it's been reduced to a minimum.

adelaide (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 13:32
Er, teams play four days in a row in the Championship. Though ECB policy appears to be to reduce that to a minimum.

Bank holiday weekends should surely provide an exception to any rules about not playing on successive days, given that the audience is available. Saturday and Monday would also be a possibility, though Sundays do appear to be favoured over Saturdays.

I can see that it could be difficult to reduce one team's travelling without increasing it for others.

Adelaide

stockmos (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 14:23
Yes, but players and coaching staff said they wanted more "breathing space" in the calendar between individual matches.

Patsy_Hendren (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 22:02
As we are all aware, the Vitality t20 Blast Finals Day will encompass three matches on the same day. Obviously just two of the three teams will play twice.

Yes, it can be done. The tournament could be completed in half the time if every team played twice in a day. Morning or afternoon then evening.

adelaide (IP Logged)
30 May, 2018 00:01
Generally speaking a break between one day matches is OK. I just think that an exception needs to be made at bank holiday weekends (it may just be this one, if the others have CC matches). We need a happy compromise between what the players want and what the spectators would like.

In the '70s teams were playing seven days a week at times. They may have had no time for honing skills and may have been knackered but I don't recall so many injuries, particularly amongst the bowlers.

Adelaide

stockmos (IP Logged)
30 May, 2018 09:31
Quote:
Patsy_Hendren
As we are all aware, the Vitality t20 Blast Finals Day will encompass three matches on the same day. Obviously just two of the three teams will play twice.
Yes, it can be done. The tournament could be completed in half the time if every team played twice in a day. Morning or afternoon then evening.

Finals Day is a one-off and it's certainly been debated whether or not it is a good idea to have a day lasting 11 hours when the idea with T20 is a shortened experience.

Playing other games over one day would be a disaster and is completely impractical when the aim is to get as many paying spectators as possible. The whole appeal is that you go, usually in the evening, for 3 hours' cricket.

stockmos (IP Logged)
30 May, 2018 09:37
Quote:
adelaide

In the '70s teams were playing seven days a week at times. They may have had no time for honing skills and may have been knackered but I don't recall so many injuries, particularly amongst the bowlers.

Adelaide

This is such a big subject it's a whole topic in itself. Steve Finn reckons the demands of the modern game are totally different (i.e. greater).

Obviously that bowlers had such a heavy workload vs injuries is a big area for debate. Some reckon that players' 'base fitness', i.e. the ability to play many days, was better. It's a big subject.

adelaide (IP Logged)
30 May, 2018 13:16
The expectation that even quick bowlers throw themselves round in the field probably has something to do with it.

Adelaide

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
30 May, 2018 20:29
I honestly believe that the reason why no 1st XI county matches were scheduled for Monday was because whoever programmed the fixtures computer forget to factor in that the day would be a Bank Holiday. When I realised that no county cricket had been scheduled for Monday, the thought occurred to me that the matches scheduled for last Friday and Sunday should have been moved to Saturday and Monday respectively, although I don’t know how practice that would have been.

The first time I ever attended a cricket match was when Middlesex played a 45-over match v Sussex at Lord’s on Whit Monday 1999 (tomorrow will be 19 years to the day), so the lack of any such matches in 2018 seemed strange.

Surbiton crusader2 (IP Logged)
01 June, 2018 10:14
JW what's a Whit Monday???

SC2

01 June, 2018 13:17
Short for Whitsun?

[en.wikipedia.org]

Whit Monday (the day after Whit Sunday, a well understood term.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net