cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

RIP JT Murray Middlesex legend

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
RLC Hants at Merchant Taylor’s 30 May
BarmierKev (IP Logged)
28 May, 2018 14:26
Weather forecast not brilliant. This is a crucial game against front runners in our group.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2018 17:18 by BarmierKev.

Re: RLC Hants at Merchant Taylor’s 30 May
chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
28 May, 2018 20:39
Not quite in 'must win' territory yet.

A rained off match would probably leave us needing to win the last two.

Royal London Cup: Middlesex versus Hampshire at Merchant Taylor’s 30 May
Patsy_Hendren (IP Logged)
28 May, 2018 20:45
A natural victory on the field of play should be our preferred option, especially if it improves our net run rate.

Re: Royal London Cup: Middlesex versus Hampshire at Merchant Taylor’s 30 May
BarmierKev (IP Logged)
28 May, 2018 21:13
I just hope the local forecast is as inaccurate as the Taunton one two days before.

Barmy Kev

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 14:11
Raining here in HA5 at the mo, so would expect likewise in HA6.

Played Hampshire once before at MTS in this comp and came away second best.That was two years ago.

Our form this year should ensure a more even contest.

The rain, initially a light drizzle is now more serious.

29 May, 2018 14:47
Full squad yet to be announced, but Eoin Morgan will be missing.

[www.middlesexccc.com]

29 May, 2018 15:00
and now full 13 man squad named-

[www.middlesexccc.com]

Finn (c) Cartwright, Eskinazi, Franklin, Fuller, Gubbins, Harris, Helm, Holden, Patel, Simpson (wk) Sowter, Stirling.

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 15:06
Peeing don in HA8. Very unlikely pitch will dry out in time. Even if match was being played next week doubt there would be game on

Barmy Kev

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 17:46
Can't blame Tom Barber for this one

So now we know why Moggie is not in the squad.

dingy bags (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 18:42
To echo what Kev is saying, we've stopped a lot of rain since lunchtime and more is forecast. I will be checking on updates from the ground before I set off tomorrow.

29 May, 2018 21:16
Following the disappointment of the Taunton defeat and the subsequent loss of Morgan, a possible opportunity may have arisen for Holden. Either Fuller or Harris offer additional bowling options.

Chesham Steve (IP Logged)
30 May, 2018 11:23
Starting at 12. 45 overs each.

30 May, 2018 11:58
Holden has replaced Morgan in an otherwise unchanged XI:

Stirling Gubbins Eskinazi Holden Cartwright Simpson+ Franklin Helm Sowter Finn Patel

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
30 May, 2018 19:35
After taking their record in this competition to three wins and one defeat with last Friday’s victory v Sussex at Hove, Middlesex’s prospects of making a rare venture to the knockout stages of a List A competition don’t seem as great after two subsequent defeats, while our chances of finishing top of our group and thus going straight to a home semi-final look bleak. Hampshire look to have qualified for the knockout stages, while Glamorgan look to be out, but it is all to play for for the seven other teams in the south group. Maybe we could end up qualifying with one more win, or maybe wins in our two remaining group matches won’t be enough.

Our total of 199-8 in 45 overs today seemed very much on the low side, so it is not a surprise we didn’t defend it. If the outfield was slow after the recent rain, then perhaps it would have been better to have chased like Hampshire were able to do. Perhaps the reason why we chose to bat after winning the toss was because all of our three wins have come after batting first, plus Sunday’s defeat v Somerset at Taunton came after we chose to chase.

Our squad doesn’t include a great deal of batsmen suited to limited-overs cricket, so it is a big blow that Dawid Malan has not played in this campaign, Eoin Morgan could not play today and may not play in our final two group matches, and Paul Stirling hasn’t been totally fit in this campaign (Lower Mound says that Stirlo didn’t field today).

When my parents and I travelled to Gatwick Airport on Thursday, Lower Mound saw Ravi Patel’s uncle at Preston Road station. His uncle didn’t seem confident about Patel’s future at the club, although his prospects must have improved thanks to his 14 wickets in this competition. We will have to see whether his performances will have helped his chances of breaking into our County Championship side, of playing in our Twenty20 campaign (for which Ashton Agar will surely be one of the first names on our teamsheet availability permitting, and for which Nathan Sowter is also likely to play), of remaining at the club next season, or of attracting another county. Those hopeful that this match would see success for someone with a connection to the local area would have liked Patel to have taken further wickets in this match considering Patel attended Merchant Taylors’ School. Instead, that quest will have been satisfied by Steven Finn dismissing Tom Alsop within a few miles of the home of Watford FC, who they both support.

Finn has spoken to our YouTube page about this match:

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
30 May, 2018 21:26
I turned at 5:40 due to alternative plans I made due to forecast and previous days rain. On journey from Canons Park to Moor Park station we looked we were fighting back and had a sniff of a chance. Once I arrived at MT most were leaving and game over.

In ground the cricket was a non event. However, I had a few enjoyable interactions with those remaining including an old school friend who I hadn't seen for 40 years.

Barmy Kev

Re: Royal London Cup: Middlesex versus Hampshire at Merchant Taylor’s 30 May
Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
30 May, 2018 23:02
Nathan Sowter has spoken to some journalist about this match (it looks like this took place while the above interview with Steven Finn was being filmed). Sowter says that Paul Stirling injured a thumb and Hilton Cartwright took a knock, although he hopes that they can both play v Surrey at Lord’s on Sunday. I also hope that Stirlo will be fit.

31 May, 2018 07:31
Nicely put, JW.

smiling bouncing smiley

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
31 May, 2018 11:01
Eventually a decent turn out crowdwise. The weather forecast like that at Taunton proved to be 90% inaccurate for the day.

Well before 10'o'clock it was dry in HA5 as I set off. Unsurprisingly there was a delay to midday and 5 overs lopped off on arrival at MTS.

The main talk among the punters was on winning the toss that we batted first in murky conditions.

The side effect also was that the outfield was slow during our knock,this enabled the Hants fielders to retrieve otherwise likely boundary shots. Cost us a few runs.

By their innings the outfield had dried out and was quicker.

General view at interval 60/70 runs short. Hants requiring less than five an over, needed and did'nt take undue risks.

We were behind the 8 ball from the start, though after the Vince runout there was a bit of a wobble which renewed interest.

Nearest we got to parity was over 32 Mx 138 Hants 143. both with 4 wickets down.

At that point Hants decided time to accelerate and 30 off the next three overs made the result a formality.

Nathan Sowter and skipper Finny did best for Mx bowlingwise.

Stirlo did'nt field second innings, finger injury apparently. Cartwright had to leave the field after injuring himself saving a boundary shot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 31/05/2018 11:04 by Seaxe_Man.

wembleylion (IP Logged)
31 May, 2018 15:18
Amazed by the decision to bat, another wrong one. In truth we were always second best and our score never looked remotely good enough. No urgency at all, I wondered if our batsmen thought it was a four day game, there were a few occasions when a second run looked possible where we just strolled a single. Very disappointed that this was all so one sided, could have been an exciting game. A pleasant day out for a good crowd apart from the performance - and I do not agree that there were plenty of positives to take from it.

01 June, 2018 08:11
Not worth a thread of its own, so it can go here.

Steve Finn gets a warning for dissent, and Ryan Higgins for 'foul or abusive language'

[www.thecricketer.com]

I can't exactly record the Finn incident, other than a vague feeling at one point, 'He might get in to trouble for that'.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net