cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Floodlights in use at last

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Re: Middlesex v Australians
Patsy_Hendren (IP Logged)
04 June, 2018 18:58
I tend to agree with Chunkyinargyll that we should field a "reasonably strong" team. Maybe on this rare occasion, a place might be found for Nick Compton?

It would be a good opportunity for Eskinazi and Holden.

04 June, 2018 19:22
£30 to queue up for 10/15 minutes to get in - 15 minutes to queue up for a pint at £6 and no hot food - think I will pass on this one!!
Last Sunday Lords couldn't cope with a crowd of around 5,000 if 10,000 are expected the ground will go into 'melt down'.
Always though football fans had a bad deal until Sunday!!

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
04 June, 2018 20:23
I hope that a lot more staff are hired for the turnstiles and bag/body searches than was the case yesterday. However, MCC could well make the argument that this would be an unnecessary extra cost on the basis that their main responsibility is to ensure that ground entry and the match takes place safely, and that it isn’t imperative that everyone gets in on time. Then again, maybe they will feel that if there are long queues, then it would discourage people from attending further matches, which would of course mean they would have a financial incentive to ensure everyone has a good experience.

Lower Mound is convinced that the match is a 10:30am start, as that is what it says on the advert outside Lord’s. However, the fact every website I have looked at says it is an 11:00am start means that I take it to be the latter. Of course, if the queues are anything like yesterday, maybe it would be a good idea to arrive at around the time I would for a 10:30am start!

This will be Australia’s second match on their tour, after playing Sussex at Hove on Thursday. Their squad consists of Tim Paine (c), Aaron Finch (vc), Ashton Agar, Alex Carey, Travis Head, Nathan Lyon, Glenn Maxwell, Shaun Marsh, Michael Neser, Jhye Richardson, Kane Richardson, D'Arcy Short, Billy Stanlake, Marcus Stoinis and Andrew Tye.

Maybe Agar will play against us before joining for our Twenty20 campaign. Maybe Hilton Cartwright will play against the side for whom he was won two Test and two ODI caps. And we have another Australian in Nathan Sowter.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
07 June, 2018 12:27
After this match Adelaide we have an eleven day break until the Leics CC match.

Time to attend to strains etc one hopes.

wembleylion (IP Logged)
07 June, 2018 14:18
The advert outside the ground as well as 10.30 also had OAP admission as £10 which seemed generous, the £15 quoted above seems more likely. No great evidence of this event being well organised.

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
07 June, 2018 15:05
On the Lord's website ticket details,it shows 11 o'clock start.Prices also taken from the website.
I'm not sure how the pricing will go,if someone turns up and only wants to pay £10,as that is shown,unless seeing these postings there are swift changes!
I'm sure there will be plenty of aussies going along,they are most passionate when their national team turns up,hope for a good atmosphere.

07 June, 2018 15:31
Quote:
wembleylion
The advert outside the ground as well as 10.30 also had OAP admission as £10 which seemed generous, the £15 quoted above seems more likely. No great evidence of this event being well organised.

I have it on good authority that the MCC site are selling to adult non-members at £30.00 and the over-65 at £15.00.

The Middlesex site originally just mentioned the £30.00 ticket.

The majority of sources are citing an 11am start.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2018 15:32 by Patsy_Hendren.

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
07 June, 2018 15:37
As posted earlier,the ticket prices are on the Lord's website.......
£30 General admittance
£15 OAP
£5 Under 16's

End of pricing!!!

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
07 June, 2018 15:58
The club will be wearing bright green kit on Saturday,a one off to show charity the club is supporting..The Felix Project.
Some shirts to be signed and auctioned after to raise monies for the charity.
A great idea,and well done those who thought of it.
Bit like the pink shirts that supported Breast Cancer Charities and raised a lot of money along the way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2018 16:00 by BeefyRoberts.

07 June, 2018 19:58
Stevie Eskinazi has spoken to Wisden Cricket Monthly ahead of this match.

On the above article as well as the article about the kit which will be worn for this match, Middlesex seem keen to emphasise that members will have the same rights as they would for any other Middlesex match at Lord’s. Well, that’s not saying much, as I doubt members will get any priority when entering the ground, or if the dress code for entering the Pavilion or Middlesex Room will be relaxed.

Not every tour match these days carries first-class (if it is a three- or four-day match) or List A (if it is a 50-over match) status, as touring sides often like to select more than 11 players, or maybe even allow batsmen to have another innings after being dismissed. When we played India at Lord’s in 2014, India fielded 17 players, and we fielded 13, so that match did not carry List A status! Thankfully, it looks like this match will be a proper List A match, as nothing uncricketlike is happening in the Sussex v Australia match at Hove.

After England were faced with very weak opposition for their warm-up matches on last winter's Ashes tour, I am sure that some people would like English teams to do the same whenever Australia tour here. However, I don't think Middlesex are planning on going down this road. Sussex's line-up tonight is fairly strong.

Ahead of his spell at Middlesex, Ashton Agar was yesterday photographed in our Twenty20 shirt.

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
08 June, 2018 14:11
Squad announced-

[www.middlesexccc.com]

Finn (c) Barber, Cartwight, Eskinazi, Franklin, Gubbins, Harris, Helm, Holden, Lace, Patel, Scott, Sowter, White (wk).

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
08 June, 2018 14:34
Barber,Cartwright and Scott would be my choices to leave out.
Looking forward to this game,always enjoyable playing the aussie touring side.
And,venturing into pavilion as well!

tallliman (IP Logged)
08 June, 2018 16:42
Forgive me for not being up with the 2's but who is Mr Lace?

08 June, 2018 18:33
Quote:
tallliman
Forgive me for not being up with the 2's but who is Mr Lace?

Tom Lace is a wicketkeeper-batsman who signed a summer contract in 2017. His highly rated batting has appeared to have eclipsed his wicketkeeping.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
08 June, 2018 19:24
Tom Lace I believe plays his club cricket for Ealing. Seen him a few times with seconds. Looks a decent player.

08 June, 2018 19:53
Bearing in mind that Eoin Morgan, Dawid Malan and Paul Stirling are unavailable/rested due to international duty, Middlesex’s squad for this match could barely be any stronger. Considering Ireland’s Twenty20 series in Netherlands doesn't start until Tuesday, it probably wouldn’t have caused Stirlo much harm had he played, but at least his absence creates an opportunity for someone else.

The only other regular member of our limited-overs side not in the squad is John Simpson, which means that Robbie White will keep wicket and make a List A debut, which will be a deserved reward for his recent 2nd XI performances. I have always had the assumption that if Simmo had to miss a major match, then Stevie Eskinazi would keep wicket. However, as I don’t think Eski has kept wicket much in the last couple of years, it would be a bit unfair to expect him to suddenly reprise such a role. By contrast, White has regularly kept wicket for the 2nd XI of late. I wonder who our second-choice keeper officially is.

It is nice to see George Scott in the squad. Like White, he has been in good form for the 2nd XI recently. Scott scored 221 and 55 in a Second Eleven Championship match v Sussex this week, yet finished on the losing side.

I am not sure what has happened to James Fuller, as he was included in the squad for a few of our Royal London Cup matches. However, he is not in the squad for tomorrow, meaning the wait continues for him to make a first appearances for our 1st XI since 7th May 2017. If he appears in our Twenty20 and/or County Championship campaign in the coming months, his appearance would mark the end of an even longer wait, as his most recent first-class and Twenty20 appearances both came in July 2016.

I wasn’t too sure if Steven Finn would play in this match after he missed Wednesday's match v Gloucestershire at Bristol as he - in the club’s words - “felt some discomfort in his knee during warm ups and on the club physio's advice will take no part in the game as a precaution”. However, with Malan, Simmo and Morgan not in the squad, I am not sure who would captain us otherwise!

If Hilton Cartwright, Eski and Nathan Sowter all play, more than a quarter of our side will be Australian to varying degrees!

hdo (IP Logged)
08 June, 2018 22:23
When did Simmo last miss a match??

tallliman (IP Logged)
09 June, 2018 07:44
I'm trying to think of an easy way to look it up.....prob best to use the end of season averages and check appearances.....

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
09 June, 2018 08:26
Quote:
Bring back the Crusaders
£30 to queue up for 10/15 minutes to get in - 15 minutes to queue up for a pint at £6 and no hot food - think I will pass on this one!!
Last Sunday Lords couldn't cope with a crowd of around 5,000 if 10,000 are expected the ground will go into 'melt down'.
Always though football fans had a bad deal until Sunday!!

Sounds like ' there's nothing so lonesome, morbid or drear, than to stand in the bar of a pub with no beer' Slim Dusty.

tallliman (IP Logged)
09 June, 2018 08:27
Last championship match missed - Worcester away, end of August 2012

Last List A missed - Unicorns away in June 2013

Simmo didn't play t20 in 2013.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2018 08:31 by tallliman.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net