cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Floodlights in use at last

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Re: Middlesex v Australians
chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
09 June, 2018 08:39
Almost Radley-like. I think Clive Thornton went about 10 years (until late England selection) without missing any matches (including against universities, and tourists)

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
09 June, 2018 14:22
Impressed with Robbie White's keeping. Very tidy, no errors, and given a good work out early on by Tom Barber.

Max Holden 10-1-29-1,

We can consider playing him as a genuine all rounder in T20, but with Ashton Agar and Nathan Sowter as well (and Paul Stirling), I don't see how Ravi Patel gets a T20 game. Ravi may be playing for someone else next year.

Superb catch by Nathan Sowter to dismiss Short-

[twitter.com]

Nick Gubbins and Tom Helm selected for England Lions squad, meaning they will miss championship matches v Leicestershire and Kent later this month.

Mr. Trellis. (IP Logged)
09 June, 2018 19:52
Last Sunday in the match with Surrey the scoreboard was showing the number of balls the batsmen had faced as their innings progressed. Today it didn't. Does anybody know why?

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
09 June, 2018 20:19
Scoreboard meltdown today!
Stopped working towards end of Aussie innings,then for few seconds,all info disappeared.
The catch by Sowter was just brilliant,and you could tell from his reaction he enjoyed it!

Haringey Racer (IP Logged)
09 June, 2018 20:22
Quote:
Mr. Trellis.
Last Sunday in the match with Surrey the scoreboard was showing the number of balls the batsmen had faced as their innings progressed. Today it didn't. Does anybody know why?

I think MCC has a rule that the same template is never used twice in succession.

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
09 June, 2018 20:25
Apart from the result, the day couldn't have gone much better for Max Holden considering his all-round performance and the news that Nick Gubbins will miss Middlesex’s next two County Championship matches. Hopefully Holden will play the majority of our remaining Championship matches, and maybe even some Twenty20 matches, although the latter will probably depend on the availability and fitness of other players. I was surprised when he entered the bowling attack in the 12th over, and I assumed he would only bowl a couple of overs or until he and the other part-time bowlers had together bowled 10 overs. However, as Australia’s batsmen struggled to get him away (he bowled 38 dot balls and only conceded one boundary), he ended up bowling 10 straight overs! His batting wasn’t bad either!

Holden has spoken to our YouTube page about this match:

When Australia were 55-1 after 8 overs, it looked like they could get about 350. However, the bowling of Holden, Ravi Patel and Nathan Sowter reined them in, which ultimately helped us keep them below 300. Steven Finn, Tom Barber and Hilton Cartwright were all expensive, although at least Barber took three wickets. Maybe James Franklin and/or George Scott could have bowled some overs to see whether they would have been more economical. The fact Holden bowled 10 overs meant that we ended up not needing 4 overs from Cartwright, as it ultimately meant Finn and Barber didn’t bowl their full allocation.

As we were without Paul Stirling, Dawid Malan and Eoin Morgan, I didn’t feel too confident about our chances of chasing 284, although Australia weren’t fielding their strongest-possible bowling line-up. We started scoring at around a-run-a-ball, but as was the case in many of our Royal London Cup matches, our chances of continuing at such a rate seemed remote once our third wicket fell. While Holden was still in, it felt like we had a chance, but we were unable to register many heavy overs after the loss of our third wicket, so the gap between runs required and balls remaining ceased to be manageable. The fact the scoreboard counted down runs required and balls remaining was a consolation for it not showing the balls faced by each batsman, but I know why it didn't show both statistics.

If Patel leaves the club at the end of the season, I really hope he finds another county. However, my fear is that other counties would prefer to give opportunities to their youngsters than sign someone who turns 27 next month and whose career seems yet to have truly got started. At least the fact he has found some form gives him hope of being attractive to other counties.

Lower Mound and I found entry as easy as it tends to be for a Championship match. At the turnstile, Lower Mound asked a remember of staff why it was easier to get in than it was for last week’s match v Surrey, and the reply he was given was “better preparation”, which was very succinct! The attendance seemed similar to the Surrey match, when just over 5,000 were in attendance.

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
09 June, 2018 21:03
The more I watch the rabbits catch today,the more I enjoy it.
Just plain brilliant

hdo (IP Logged)
10 June, 2018 00:31
Quote:
tallliman
Last championship match missed - Worcester away, end of August 2012
Last List A missed - Unicorns away in June 2013

Simmo didn't play t20 in 2013.

Fantastic research - many thanks!

As today was a friendly, I wouldn't count it as a missed match anyway. So Simmo's streak continues.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
10 June, 2018 13:14
An enjoyable day with the entrance better organised. On seeing my MX card I was waved through.

Positives. Aus. Their batting still looks adequate and they fielded tigerishly to back up their bowling. As you would expect from a side now coached by Justin Langer.

Mx. Overall I thought we bowled and fielded well with Finny once again showing faith in his spinners. Playing and bowling all three.

They bowled their full quota of 30 overs going for 132 runs around 4.5 an over below the overall scoring rate and took three wickets.

Barber gave an improved performance after showing signs of that down at Blackstone on Tuesday. Still a wide or two too many.

The batting without our three internationals was clearly not deep. Max Holden the standout with 71.

Add his 10-1-29-1 bowling stint and the MX MOM for me.

wembleylion (IP Logged)
10 June, 2018 16:30
I think the Lions call up may have gone to the wrong Middlesex opener. What a career Max could have.

Mr. Trellis. (IP Logged)
10 June, 2018 20:23
A shame that the interviewer did not ask Max Holden about his bowling.

Lifer (IP Logged)
10 June, 2018 21:47
I have been a member for 49 years and am getting forgetful. We did beat Australia once but when was it? Can't find the scorecard but I was there

SouthgateEmerald (IP Logged)
10 June, 2018 22:06
Where did the green kit come from ? Is it a one off ?

Patsy_Hendren (IP Logged)
10 June, 2018 22:51
[b][/b]
Quote:
SouthgateEmerald
Where did the green kit come from ? Is it a one off ?

The lime green kit was introduced to mark the club's support for the Felix Project. This charity was founded last year by Justin Byam Shaw (the "London Evening Standard" chairman) in memory of his late son.

It will be interesting to hear whether it follows the example of the pink kit which supported "Breakthrough Breast Cancer" several years ago.

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
10 June, 2018 22:53
Middlesex won a 50-over match v Australia at Lord’s in 2001. My dad attended, as did some of the staff at my school, but I could not do so due to the match taking place on a Tuesday.

Middlesex’s kit was one-off. The shirts will be (unless they already have been) auctioned off, so hopefully lots of proceeds will be raised for the Felix Project.

10 June, 2018 23:27
Quote:
Jonathan Winsky
Middlesex won a 50-over match v Australia at Lord’s in 2001. My dad attended, as did some of the staff at my school, but I could not do so due to the match taking place on a Tuesday.
Middlesex’s kit was a one-off. The shirts will be (unless they already have been) auctioned off, so hopefully lots of proceeds will be raised for the Felix Project.

Thank you JW. A major highlight of the 2001 victory was a splendid innings of 73 from the underestimated Ben Hutton.

Lifer (IP Logged)
11 June, 2018 11:27
Thanks JW . I could remember winning but could not find the scorecard.Must have played hookey from teaching to see it!

11 June, 2018 16:22
If I remember rightly Ben Hutton's run out in that match came courtesy of a straight drive from Andrew Strauss that was deflected onto the stumps by the bowler and was the second time in successive innings this had happened to him.

13 June, 2018 10:07
Quote:
Haringey Racer
If I remember rightly Ben Hutton's run out in that match came courtesy of a straight drive from Andrew Strauss that was deflected onto the stumps by the bowler and was the second time in successive innings this had happened to him.

What are best friends for? Accidents can happen!

13 June, 2018 10:45
Having dug out the scorecards I owe Strauss half an apology. While he was indeed the guilty party on the first occasion (at Southgate against Derbyshire) the assassin at Lord's was Robin Weston.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net