cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

RIP JT Murray Middlesex legend

Goto Page: 12345678Next
Current Page: 1 of 8
Leicestershire versus Middlesex (20th to 23rd June)
Jack Hearne (IP Logged)
12 June, 2018 16:02
An in-form Leicestershire will be our hosts as we return to the Fischer County Ground in Grace Road.

Two known absences will be Nick Gubbins and Tom Helm due to their inclusion in the England Lions squad for the triangular tournament with India 'A' and West Indies 'A' (22nd June to 2nd July). Mark Ramprakash will be coach and Steven Mullaney captain.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 25/06/2018 23:58 by BarmierKev.

Re: Leicestershire versus Middlesex (20th to 23rd June)
Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
12 June, 2018 20:43
Although his form tailed off in Middlesex’s last five Royal London Cup matches, it is a blow to be without Nick Gubbins. As well as Gubbo and Tom Helm, we will also be without Eoin Morgan, as England are in almost constant limited-overs action until 17th July, while it is uncertain whether Ireland will allow Paul Stirling and Tim Murtagh to play, as Ireland will play the first of two Twenty20 internationals v India three days after day four of this match (although I don’t think Murtagh still plays T20 for either club or country). Better news is that Dawid Malan has been made available for this match (unless of course England get a couple of injuries, call him up to their ODI squad, and no doubt leave him out like they did v Scotland on Sunday), Sam Robson scored 42 and 127 v Somerset 2nd XI at Merchant Taylors’ School, and Max Holden will surely return to our County Championship side after not playing in our previous match despite scoring 84 not out the week before. I fear that Hilton Cartwright’s time at the club may not have expired by the time of this match, so he might play. Robbie White says that he is hoping to play in this match.

Before the season started, I earmarked this as one of our most important matches of the season, as Leicestershire are one of the opponents we only play once, and I anticipated that they would yet again be rooted at the bottom of the table, meaning that if the teams around us in the table were to record 40-odd points against them during the course of the season, they it would be important that we won our match against them. However, thanks to wins against Glamorgan and Northamptonshire (admittedly the current bottom two), Leics are currently third, and they would actually be second had they beaten Durham after enforcing the follow-on. Considering the fact we have only won one of our first five matches, and Leics are in the promotion shake-up, I believe my point remains that this is a match we could do with winning, otherwise promotion for us will either not happen or it will be done the hard way.

Jack Hearne (IP Logged)
12 June, 2018 21:53
As Hilton Cartwright's current contract expires at the end of June, he remains available for selection for both SCC matches.

Patsy_Hendren (IP Logged)
13 June, 2018 08:56
Is anyone aware of the former Leicestershire captain Michael Carberry's current situation?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/06/2018 08:57 by Patsy_Hendren.

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
13 June, 2018 09:07
Just that he had a fall out with Nixon (he wouldn't be the first).

I get the impression Nixon's motivational skills are all 'route one'- as in the more BS I talk, and the louder I talk, and the more enthusiasm I show should bring about an improvement.

But without any real substance, that approach will only get you so far. That said, they are higher than us in the table.

Carberry strikes me as a calmer, quieter man than Nixon, so it's not surprising they didn't get on.

Patsy_Hendren (IP Logged)
13 June, 2018 09:16
Quote:
chunkyinargyll
Just that he had a fall out with Nixon (he wouldn't be the first).
I get the impression Nixon's motivational skills are all 'route one'- as in the more BS I talk, and the louder I talk, and the more enthusiasm I show should bring about an improvement.

But without any real substance, that approach will only get you so far. That said, they are higher than us in the table.

Carberry strikes me as a calmer, quieter man than Nixon, so it's not surprising they didn't get on.

Thank you, Chunky.

I expect that we will see the popular Dexter in the middle order although Pettini has not appeared for a while.

Fozzie (IP Logged)
13 June, 2018 14:16
Can't comment on the Nixon / Carberry situation, but I've been impressed from afar with Leicestershire this season. They suffered what might have been a crushing blow when they lost to Durham after enforcing the follow-on, but have bounced back with consecutive Championship victories. This would suggest that there is good team spirit and that Nixon's motivational style is working at least for the moment.

They also now have Mohammed Abbas in the ranks following his man of the match performance in Pakistan's victory against England. And Neil Dexter seems to be having a decent season after a miserable time last year.

Jack Hearne (IP Logged)
15 June, 2018 09:01
The satisfaction that would emerge from defeating a stronger Leicestershire XI would be significant. It is a good opportunity for Mohammad Abbas. The raised standard should help our batsmen.

18 June, 2018 09:13
Could be interesting at Leicester this week (as per 'other county matches and news thread)

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Carberry considering suing Leicestershire.

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
18 June, 2018 13:08
Will be at game this week.
Last time we visited for a county game was when we won Div 2 title,who can forget Bergie and his famous 6,4,6,?
Leicestershire treated us really well,allowing us to take over the t20 dug-out for whole game.
The chief executive of Leicestershire came to us frequently chatting,and making sure we were ok,and the club were just so friendly.
'Phil the Coat' (as we called him) was great,in his white coat,ringing the bell and being so helpful.
One evening,we were looking how to get bus back to the city centre,so,we asked someone (as you do!).This guy pointed us in the right direction. Within a few minutes,a car pulled up,the same guy offered to drive us to our hotel,he had to clear back seats of all sorts of things and 4 of us squeezed in!
He dropped us at the door of hotel.
James Taylor was still at Leicestershire at the time,he was a very approachable player,and as I left the offices (went to thank them for their hospitality after game) JT was there,had a little chat with him,wishing him all the best for his career...I liked him as a player.

Yea,Leicestershire are a really nice friendly club,be good to go back and hopefully see some old friends again.

Thursday of the game,our Diamond Shirts will again be worn,our mate liked it at Leicestershire as well.We do our best to take Diamond to as many games as we can.

18 June, 2018 15:20
James Franklin won't be playing, as he has just said on Sky commentary that we have given him a few weeks off (not sure how many) so he can coach in Canada's T20 domestic competition.

adelaide (IP Logged)
18 June, 2018 17:22
Unpaid leave? Does that mean he won't be around for some of our T20?

Adelaide

18 June, 2018 17:25
Yes, unpaid leave (he did make that clear) but I'm not sure how long the comp lasts.

Jack Hearne (IP Logged)
18 June, 2018 17:31
Quote:
chunkyinargyll
Yes, unpaid leave (he did make that clear) but I'm not sure how long the comp lasts.

Cricket Canada have announced that their inaugural "Global t20 Canada" competition [www.gt20.ca] will run between 28th June and 15th July 2018.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/06/2018 17:35 by Jack Hearne.

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
18 June, 2018 18:02
James Franklin did OK in Middlesex’s Royal London Cup campaign, so I was finally starting to like him! However, as he is not part of our long-term future, I am supportive of the continued omission of him from our County Championship side. Despite being an ever-present in our RLC side, I am uncertain whether how big a part he plays in our Twenty20 plans, as we will have a similar player in Dwayne Bravo for six of our group matches, and will also have Ashton Agar for our whole campaign. Some players have found life after playing cricket a struggle, but Franklin appears not to have those worries considering the work he is doing in the media and in coaching.

We are currently playing a Second Eleven Championship match v Hampshire at Radlett, and our line-up includes Robbie White and Nathan Sowter, and excludes Tom Barber, Max Holden, Ravi Patel and George Scott, so that may give some clues as to who is or isn’t in our plans for the match v Leicestershire. As I have already written, Holden really really should play in this match. After performing well in our RLC campaign, it would be nice if Patel plays, whether this be alongside Ollie Rayner or instead of him. Rayner can’t have made himself popular amongst our supporters after being photographed wearing the shirt of the Mexican national football team!

18 June, 2018 18:09
Think Ravi might go out on loan, JW.

No inside info, but it would be the logical thing to do. Rayner normally preferred in championship, and Agar, Sowter, Holden, Stirling and Malan (assuming Rayner isn't picked) all spin options in T20. Despite a good RL campaign, I don't see how Ravi gets in the side, and contract up at the end of the season. If I was him, I'd be asking for a loan.

And England have just scored in some football match or other.

hdo (IP Logged)
19 June, 2018 09:42
Ollie Rayner has been sent out on loan to Hampshire for their next two County Championship matches.

Presumably this means Patel or Sowter is playing vs Leicestershire, and that Rayner has been overtaken as the club's first choice spin bowler.

adelaide (IP Logged)
19 June, 2018 09:50
I think "overtaken" is the wrong word. I think it is more that the younger spinners (or at least one of them) are going to be given the opportunity to overtake him, with an eye to the future. Consistent with the youth policy (so watch out Murts) which has seen Compo sidelined and Franklin given leave to take part in Love Island (OK, OK ... to coach Canada). Whether it is consistent with winning promotion is another matter. The slips will be a lot weaker as a result.

Adelaide

19 June, 2018 11:30
Well, I knew something had to give. I just got the wrong suspect.

It doesn't sound like this is a permanent move for Oliie- just that Hants are missing Crane and Dawson at the moment.

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
19 June, 2018 11:57
Separate thread for Ollie is available!

Has the squad for Leicester been announced yet?

The club have put an article on official website about the last visit in 2011,brings back memories....was it really 7 years ago?!

Goto Page: 12345678Next
Current Page: 1 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net