cricket
Latest News:


WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Tribute to Diamond at Leicester

 

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8
 
Re: Leicestershire versus Middlesex (20th to 23rd June)
tbl (IP Logged)
23 June, 2018 20:51
Fantastic result, well done to the players. Now we need to beat Kent to get our promotion campaign on track.

 
Re: Leicestershire versus Middlesex (20th to 23rd June)
Westrock (IP Logged)
23 June, 2018 22:07
Interesting thing Cricket statistician Andrew Samson on Twitter said we are only one of three teams to chase 380+ in fourth innings for the 6th time other two are Kent and Victoria. Up the middle!

 
Re: Leicestershire versus Middlesex (20th to 23rd June)
BarmierKev (IP Logged)
23 June, 2018 23:29
Well I did not see that coming. Small margins of Hilton's stumps surviving the hit of wicket most significant.

There was a moment when he was bowling when game drifting away , he was given a wide for one that was no worse than many others. I said at the time tongue in cheek , if we lose by one run that could be significant. Glad that was not the case.

It was a shame that having a good following for first three days when we were mainly up against it, most I know, me included were unable to make the final day.



Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

 
Re: Leicestershire versus Middlesex (20th to 23rd June)
Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
24 June, 2018 01:07
Middlesex bat deep, as James Harris proved that he has a lot of batting ability, Steven Finn has the mark of all great batsmen, as bowlers sometimes have difficulties dismissing him if he gets through the first few balls, while Tim Murtagh can play some shorts. Therefore, I believed that we were capable of winning from the position we found ourselves in at the start of the day, although two factors that made me doubt whether we could do it were that it was a day five pitch, and I didn’t think our players had as much of a spark to do something special compared to in previous seasons, when we recorded a few wins from unlikely positions.

I spent the day dipping in and out of the commentary, and I didn’t put the live stream on until about 7 more runs were required. I agreed with my parents that we would leave at about 5:45pm to attend to the Taylor Swift concert at Wembley Stadium (we were given free tickets due to us living in Brent), but I said that there is no way I could leave until the cricket had finished! Therefore, my parents went ahead of me, although I eventually managed to catch them up, and we got there without missing anything. As I knew that we would have to set off at around 5:45pm, I wasn’t sure what to hope for in the cricket, as an earlier finish would have made things less stressful for my parents and I, although that would have probably meant that Leicestershire would have won. An unexpected surprise for those at the concert was Robbie Williams singing Angels. Had I been closer to the stage, I would have asked him about his views on the cricket considering he has played for both Middlesex and Leicestershire!

I would like to think that the win and the manner of it will be a springboard to our County Championship performances improving, and us possibly challenging for promotion. However, we have to be honest with ourselves, look at our squad and look at Leicestershire’s squad, and say that we should have won this match comfortably rather than spent the first half of the match on the back foot and only scraping to victory. Therefore, there is lots of room for improvement.

Matches like this prove what an excellent competition the County Championship is.

Richard Scott and David Malan have spoken to our Audioboom page about this result.

Cricinfo’s David Hopps has produced a report of day four.

 
Re: Leicestershire versus Middlesex (20th to 23rd June)
Jack Hearne (IP Logged)
24 June, 2018 01:53
Quote:
Jonathan Winsky
I would like to think that the win and the manner of it will be a springboard to our County Championship performances improving, and us possibly challenging for promotion. However, we have to be honest with ourselves, look at our squad and look at Leicestershire’s squad, and say that we should have won this match comfortably rather than spent the first half of the match on the back foot and only scraping to victory. Therefore, there is lots of room for improvement.

Matches like this prove what an excellent competition the County Championship is.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us, JW. However we should always respect our opponents. No team has a divine right to beat anyone. Victories have to be earned on merit. Some appear to be easier than others though.

 
Re: Leicestershire versus Middlesex (20th to 23rd June)
chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
24 June, 2018 07:07
and well done Ravi Patel.

20 very valuable runs, and he occupied the crease for an hour as nightwatchman, showing his betters it could be done.

We often say his batting and fielding don't help his first team chances, but he did himself proud yesterday.

 
Re: Leicestershire versus Middlesex (20th to 23rd June)
dingy bags (IP Logged)
24 June, 2018 08:28
I am feeling a complete pr*tt today. I had intended to go to Leicester but, to be honest, got the hump on Thursday looking at the collapse on the internet while watching the seconds win by one wicket. How was I supposed to know it was an OMEN?!

By Friday, I was really depressed with the state of our cricket, not looking forward to the rest of the season and looking for an excuse not to bother to make the trip. My target was one down at the close.

Yesterday, I did not even check the score until just before lunch.

From about 3.00 I was glued to Kevin Hand!

Will I ever learn?

Only one observation from afar. James Harris took 1-107 first innings and 3-43 in the second. I don't think he has played for the seconds in the last three or more weeks, unlike Timmy Murtagh. I wonder if this is something that needs a look. Ceefax view is that he 'needed a gallop' as they say.

 
Re: Leicestershire versus Middlesex (20th to 23rd June)
Jack Hearne (IP Logged)
24 June, 2018 08:48
Quote:
dingy bags
Only one observation from afar. James Harris took 1-107 first innings and 3-43 in the second. I don't think he has played for the seconds in the last three or more weeks, unlike Timmy Murtagh. I wonder if this is something that needs a look. Ceefax view is that he 'needed a gallop' as they say.

You are very perceptive. There is a strong case for maintaining 'match fitness', in addition to one's mental or physical well-being. Obviously one can not select everyone but this practice has obviously helped the evergreen Murtagh.

With regard to Harris, he came up against a vastly improved Leicestershire XI (especially Ackermann and an indefatigable tail). However he never gives up, a quality which came to the fore with his batting yesterday.

 
Re: Leicestershire versus Middlesex (20th to 23rd June)
snicko (IP Logged)
24 June, 2018 08:55
Quote:
dingy bags

“.....Only one observation from afar. James Harris took 1-107 first innings and 3-43 in the second. I don't think he has played for the seconds in the last three or more weeks, unlike Timmy Murtagh. I wonder if this is something that needs a look. Ceefax view is that he 'needed a gallop' as they say.

Harris actually bowled very well in the first innings and found the edge more than any of the others. Had Raynor been at second slip (covering also 3rd as Ollie can do, it would have been a different story as chances were missed).

Agree that he needs to play more regularly - Baffled why he is overlooked for our white ball teams, his career stats are excellent and past England squad selections were for his white ball cricket.

 
Re: Leicestershire versus Middlesex (20th to 23rd June)
Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
24 June, 2018 10:23
No-one has a divine right to beat any opponent. However, had Middlesex lost to Leicestershire, then I doubt our supporters would have accepted our players and officials saying “oh well, that’s how it goes”. If we had a financial crisis and lost many of our players from 2016, then maybe it would be acceptable if we struggled past Leics, but the fact is that our squad has barely changed from 2016, and surely many members of our squad have high ambitions. If we can’t beat sides like Leics, Derbyshire, Glamorgan and Gloucestershire, then we can forget about returning to division one, let alone winning division one (although admittedly our failure to beat Glam and Glos were both partly influenced by the weather and pitch).

 
Re: Leicestershire versus Middlesex (20th to 23rd June)
Jack Hearne (IP Logged)
24 June, 2018 11:22
Quote:
Jonathan Winsky
No-one has a divine right to beat any opponent. However, had Middlesex lost to Leicestershire, then I doubt our supporters would have accepted our players and officials saying “oh well, that’s how it goes”. If we had a financial crisis and lost many of our players from 2016, then maybe it would be acceptable if we struggled past Leics, but the fact is that our squad has barely changed from 2016, and surely many members of our squad have high ambitions. If we can’t beat sides like Leics, Derbyshire, Glamorgan and Gloucestershire, then we can forget about returning to division one, let alone winning division one (although admittedly our failure to beat Glam and Glos were both partly influenced by the weather and pitch).

It is not a case of accepting falling standards. If our cricketers are better than the opposition then they have to prove it consistently on the field of play. If there is not sufficient confidence in our established figures then we have to investigate alternative options. This is what we have been practising.

I would not personally second guess what our fellow supporters would do, in light of a possible slump but some may prove more durable than others.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/06/2018 19:24 by Jack Hearne.

 
Re: Leicestershire versus Middlesex (20th to 23rd June)
Rocks&Boulders (IP Logged)
24 June, 2018 12:32
What a win in the end. (Sm152)

Bring on the Kent.

 
Re: Leicestershire versus Middlesex (20th to 23rd June)
adelaide (IP Logged)
24 June, 2018 15:01
Jonathan

Surely the entire population of Brent didn't get free tickets to see Ms Swift?


Adelaide

 
Re: Leicestershire versus Middlesex (20th to 23rd June)
Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
24 June, 2018 17:27
Mx last lost to Leics in a championship fixture in 2009 at Grace Road. As the Diamond Four left Grace Road on Friday evening we expected this to be the next at 82 for 3.

And from what we had witnessed on the previous three days (excluding myself, missed Thursday) that seemed a likely outcome.

Exception being Murts fivefer on day one.

I agree with chunky in the position the match was in, Ravi batting as nightwatchman for an hour plus and scoring 20 must have frustrated the hosts. No early wickets. Tough for Eski runout on 97.

Good to see MX taking the fight on. Better late than never. More of the same will be needed at Canterbury where Kent are currently flying.

 
Re: Leicestershire versus Middlesex (20th to 23rd June)
SouthgateEmerald (IP Logged)
24 June, 2018 21:25
Quite astonishing ..... I don’t understand the sitch with Harris. I think he’s the best cricketer at the club.

 
Re: Leicestershire versus Middlesex (20th to 23rd June)
hdo (IP Logged)
25 June, 2018 10:18
Quote:
adelaide
Jonathan
Surely the entire population of Brent didn't get free tickets to see Ms Swift?


Adelaide

Personally I'd shut the curtains if she were performing in my back garden, but each to their own.

 
Re: Leicestershire versus Middlesex (20th to 23rd June)
adelaide (IP Logged)
25 June, 2018 10:49
Don't forget the earplugs, hdo. Young people today don't know what music is etc etc. As Frank Muir put it, something awful happens to popular music when you get to the age of 35.

Back to the match - the highlights on the website seemed very sketchy and seemed to think that Dexter was caught rather than "stumped". I was particularly disappointed that the divine intervention that kept Cartwright's bails (he typed carefully) intact was not included. Perhaps that is down to Leicestershire. The highlights were from behind the bowler's arm, unlike the live feed, so there must have been two different cameras doing the business.


Adelaide

 
Re: Leicestershire versus Middlesex (20th to 23rd June)
BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
25 June, 2018 11:15
We all thought Dext was stumped,then someone said was he ran out? The majority went for stumped,although as he walked off,didn't look impressed to say the least.
I was just walking out of bar as Cosgrove was walking back when he was out in first innings,man chewing wasp came to mind!
Language was,shall we say,not for those with a
nervous disposition!

Although we hadn't played at Grace Road (forget the name change!) since 2011,still got the same friendly welcome.

 
Re: Leicestershire versus Middlesex (20th to 23rd June)
25 June, 2018 12:15
Quote:
SouthgateEmerald
Quite astonishing ..... I don’t understand the sitch with Harris. I think he’s the best cricketer at the club.

What's a sitch? Sounds like something out of Harry Potter?

 
Re: Leicestershire versus Middlesex (20th to 23rd June)
tallliman (IP Logged)
25 June, 2018 17:51
Quote:
BeefyRoberts
We all thought Dext was stumped,then someone said was he ran out? The majority went for stumped,although as he walked off,didn't look impressed to say the least.
I was just walking out of bar as Cosgrove was walking back when he was out in first innings,man chewing wasp came to mind!
Language was,shall we say,not for those with a
nervous disposition!

Although we hadn't played at Grace Road (forget the name change!) since 2011,still got the same friendly welcome.

It was stumped because it was effected by the keeper and Dexter wasn't attempting a run.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net
 

Who is online?

Total users online:  

Most users online:  

Users on this site:  

Where are they?