cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Tribute to Diamond at Leicester

Ollie move
BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
19 June, 2018 10:42
Club has announced Ollie is to join Hampshire for an 'initial one month loan.
He is available to play vs Grumbleshire for Hampshire this week.

Re: Ollie move
lower pavilion (IP Logged)
19 June, 2018 11:27
I think this is rather sad news, even though this is only I hope for one month. I like Ollie Rayner, and he is one of my favorite current Middlesex players. That magical game at the Oval when he took 15 wickets for 118 runs, will for me, go down as one of the greatest individual performances I have witnessed from a Middlesex player, and I go back a very long way, and of course doing that at the Oval, just made it even more memorable for me.

On a broader issue, cricket is sadly becoming like football. For various reasons, players seem to play for so many different clubs. Indeed, if one includes T20 tournaments, there are some players who could play for perhaps as many as four or five clubs in any given year.

When the domestic T20 season starts soon, players will join a club for a few weeks, then with a wave goodbye, off they go to play for someone else in a different part of the world.

In my youth, more often than not, players played for just one club throughout their careers and they became synonymous with that club.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/06/2018 11:43 by lower pavilion.

19 June, 2018 11:50
Interesting development. Unfortunately his bowling erformances since the Oval triumph have not lived up to his promise and his batting has gone backwards.

If the move is initially only 1 month how many cc games will he play? Or do they see him as a 20/20 player?

This is obviously a great opportunity for Ravi Patel or Sowter.

lower pavilion (IP Logged)
19 June, 2018 12:18
Needless to say, I sincerely hope Patel and Sowter, and of course the rest of the team do well.

However, even though this moves away a bit from the subject of the thread, I stand by what I say in my above post.

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
19 June, 2018 12:19
Oh, and there was me thinking it would be Ravi on the move.

Something had to give, but I assumed it would be Ravi.

Don't like the sound of 'for an initial one month period'. It sounds like he might be hoping it becomes permanent.

Edit- having read press release it doesn't sound quite so bad.

Cover for Hants because Crane and Dawson are unavailable, and Ollie doesn't sound disenchanted with us.

[www.middlesexccc.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/06/2018 12:24 by chunkyinargyll.

hantssabre (IP Logged)
19 June, 2018 12:41
And Brad Taylor is injured so wouldn’t think it will be any more than a short term loan

tallliman (IP Logged)
19 June, 2018 13:28
Very interesting......hopefully this will mean some first team action tomorrow for Ravi/Sowter.

Haringey Racer (IP Logged)
19 June, 2018 17:39
Anyone for a sweepstake on the number of missed chances at second slip at Leicester?

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
19 June, 2018 20:23
This move took me by surprise, as I assumed that Ollie Rayner was part of Middlesex’s plans for their two upcoming County Championship matches and therefore not available for a loan move. Then again, he has only taken four wickets in five matches this season (albeit in early-season conditions), so despite Rayner having an economy of 2.22 in our Championship campaign so far, maybe the club felt it was time that Ravi Patel was given a go as reward for his Royal London Cup performances, which would have made Rayner available.

It would be interesting to know how this move came about. Did Hampshire ask Middlesex (and maybe other counties) whether there were any spare spinners available? If so, did we give them a choice of any of our three spinners? Or did we say that only Rayner was available? Did Hampshire specifically want Rayner?

It looks like Rayner will play in Hampshire's next two Championship matches. Considering he is not in our Royal London Cup or Twenty20 plans, it would be a surprise if Rayner features in Hampshire’s T20 plans and/or in the RLC final a week on Saturday, but he may have to play if their injured/unavailable spinners don’t return by then.

Although I have been fearful about Patel’s future in county cricket, I am not so worried about Rayner, as surely he has done enough in his career to either convince Middlesex than he should remain with us, or convince another county that he is worth investing in.

I don’t think a sweepstake is a good idea, as Middlesex held one ahead of the football World Cup, and Rayner picked out the Mexicans, which can’t have made him popular with our supporters, although of course Mexico won their opening match v Germany. I picked out Nigeria in my workplace’s sweepstake, so I wouldn't feel confident about entering one about Middlesex’s slip-catching.

dingy bags (IP Logged)
19 June, 2018 22:18
I am a big Ollie fan and I was his shirt sponsor for a couple of seasons. His significant contribution to our championship-winning season should never be forgotten. The Durham game at Lord's, when I suddenly realised we had a chance, featured one of those memories that you can replay in your mind. I was directly behind Ollie, on the north turret of the pavilion when he bowled Borthwick, round the wicket to the left handed, with a ball that drifted in, bit and turned and flattened off stump.

I will also not forget his reaction to the fans when the trophy was won, both on the field and in The Tavern afterwards.

BUT, as I have said to a couple of people during the 50 over games, I feel it is time for a change and that Ravi should finally get a run in the side. I shall be hugely annoyed if he does not make the XI, by the way.

Ravi won't catch like Ollie can but I have rather given up on the idea that Ollie can be relied upon to score any runs on a regular basis. My side for tomorrow has Simmo at 7 and Harry at 8, so not much lost there. We are missing Toby for his bowling, of course, but he had gone above Ollie in the order, as well. Eski, Robbo and Mala should be able to take care of the close catching.

Ollie was not going to play any T20, so this all makes sense to me. I am rather sad but, unlike a few other decisions, I can understand the logic.

19 June, 2018 22:33
Ollie only gets picked when spin is unlikely to be a deciding factor, when he is selected in more of a 'containing' role, and to keep the over rate in the green. On those occasions he gets the nod because of better fielding and potentially (although these days it is only potentially) better batting.

When it might spin Patel (and now maybe Sowter too) seem to come in to the reckoning, so it's hard to see how he gets to prove himself in spin friendly conditions.

Ravi will have to take this chance. I still don't see how Vettori will pick him in T20, because there are so many other spin options, all of whom are better bats and better fielders.

The next two championship matches could determine whether or not Ravi gets a new contract.

He's got his chance, and he needs to take it.

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
20 June, 2018 21:20

22 June, 2018 21:34
Ollie 2nd innings against Yorkies-

7 overs, 3 maidens, 5 runs, 2 wickets.

Jack Hearne (IP Logged)
23 June, 2018 19:18
Rayner debuted with second innings figures of 33-9-54-4.

This finished as a drawn day/night SCC match between Hampshire and Yorkshire at the Aegis Bowl.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 23/06/2018 22:54 by Jack Hearne.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net