cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

RIP JT Murray Middlesex legend

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
Kent versus Middlesex at Canterbury (SCC - 25th to 28th June)
Jack Hearne (IP Logged)
23 June, 2018 19:10
Following the pleasure from today's unexpected away victory over Leicestershire, we travel to the Spitfire St Lawrence Ground at Canterbury for Monday's SCC match versus the high flying Kent.

We are aware that a good victory must lead to a greater level of consistency. We trust that several of our cricketers are starting to turn a corner. We must back them to deliver on a regular basis.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2018 20:59 by BarmierKev.

Re: Kent versus Middlesex at Canterbury (SCC - 27th to 30th June)
chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
23 June, 2018 19:13
Quote:
Jack Hearne
Following the pleasure from today's unexpected away victory over Leicestershire, we travel to the Spitfire St Lawrence Ground at Canterbury for Wednesday's SCC match versus the high flying Kent.
Good luck for Wednesday's match.

It starts on Monday.

Floodlit.

1.30 pm start.

Re: Kent versus Middlesex at Canterbury (SCC - 25th to 28th June)
Chesham Steve (IP Logged)
23 June, 2018 19:39
Thought it was 2PM.

23 June, 2018 19:41
You might be right.

Kevin Hand said 1.30, but he is far from invincible.

Edit- confirmed 2 pm.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/06/2018 19:48 by chunkyinargyll.

Chesham Steve (IP Logged)
23 June, 2018 19:50
Kent website and BBC website both say 2PM. Toss maybe at 1.30.

23 June, 2018 21:07
One obvious change from the last match should see Steve Finn miss out (he didn't seem completely fit). James Fuller may get his first chance this season.

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
23 June, 2018 22:19
On the interview after game,Richard Scott did say there could be a couple of changes for the Kent game.He didn't give any clues,of course,but we will soon see.
Said squad heading to Kent tomorrow afternoon.

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
24 June, 2018 01:53
As my focus for the last few days has been on the match v Leicestershire, it was only on Saturday that I realised that the next round of County Championship matches will start on Monday, meaning that Middlesex, Kent and a few other counties will be playing back-to-back matches with only one day’s rest.

Richard Scott suggested that it is a certainty that we will make changes. Tom Barber and George Scott should be at the front of the queue to come into our side considering they were the two players in the squad for the Leics match to miss out. However, I imagine that many of our supporters would prefer James Fuller to Barber. About the only other player who may have a chance of coming into the side is Robbie White.

I am not sure if we will make any changes in our batting department, as most of the batsmen who played at Grace Road got a start, although admittedly they didn’t always convert it into a big innings. To replace Steven Finn with Fuller sounds like a sensible idea, as Finn appears not to have found the form we know he is capable of. Due to injuries (I think to his elbow and hamstring), Fuller has not played a first-class match since his excellent all-round performance (3-72, 93, 3-125 and 36) v Somerset at Taunton in July 2016, and has not played a 1st XI match of any kind since playing in a Royal London Cup match v Kent at Canterbury in May 2017. We will have to see whether we are planning any other changes in our bowling department.

With Kent currently 2nd and 28 points ahead us, a win for us would claw us into the promotion race and potentially have the same effect as that aforementioned win at Taunton, which came the week after we beat Yorkshire at Scarborough. Hopefully Joe Denly and/or Harry Podmore won't haunt us. Both players have been in good form this season.

24 June, 2018 07:01
In the second innings, Sam Robson looked back to his old self, until he got the unplayable shooter. If he had been all over the place, like he was in the first innings, I'd have said, 'Leave him out', but I think he'll keep his place.

It would be tough to leave Maxi out, but if we want to give someone from the 2's a chance it is probably better to swap a youngster for a youngster.

dnb (IP Logged)
24 June, 2018 08:36
Paul Sterling is in the Ireland squad for the two t20s against India on 27/29 June so he will presumably be missing this match.

24 June, 2018 09:52
If Paul Stirling can’t play, then surely that would give a chance to George Scott or Robbie White.

When day/night matches were played in the County Championship last season, the sight of spectators leaving at about 8:00pm was apparently as common as the stated aim of day/night first-class cricket, which is for spectators to attend after work for the last couple of hours’ play. Personally, I am not sure how excited I would be if Middlesex hosted a match like this (which would probably require permission from MCC and St. John’s Wood residents), as although it would give me an opportunity to see four evenings of cricket, I don’t know when I would find time to do things like posting on MTWD, watching EastEnders, having a bath and checking the news. These matches probably don’t work as well in Britain as they would in other parts of the world. ECB are clearly under no obligation to agree for England to play day/night Test matches or to arrange day/night matches in their domestic competition, as India appear to have refused to play any day/night Tests on their tour of England later this summer and their tour of Australia before Christmas.

With this match taking place shortly after the summer solstice, there will be barely be any need for the floodlights to be switched on.

tallliman (IP Logged)
24 June, 2018 13:08
This may be a rare week where it'll be hot enough to be fun watching cricket at 10pm in this country. Not sure what use the floodlights will be though as Jonathon says!

24 June, 2018 15:13
Squad named-

Malan (c) Andersson, Barber, Cartwight, Eskinazi, Fuller, Harris, Holden, Murtagh, Patel, Robson, Scott, Simpson (wk) white.

24 June, 2018 15:17
I guess Andersson, White and Barber will be the three to miss out, but good to see Andersson at least make the squad, as he is always a good performer for the 2's.

24 June, 2018 15:29
By the way, guess who is top of the Kent batting averages in the championship.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Podders!!!!!!

24 June, 2018 18:51
The official reason for Steven Finn being omitted is that he felt some soreness in his left knee at Grace Road. As I anticipated, either James Fuller or Tom Barber are set to replace him.

It would be a surprise if Martin Andersson plays considering I don’t think he has previously been named in a County Championship squad. He is probably more capable than George Scott of being the long-term solution to Middlesex’s problem with the position of all-rounder, as I think Andersson bowls more than Scott. Had Hilton Cartwright not scored important runs at Grace Road, I imagine that there would have been calls for him to make way for either Andersson or Scott. Cartwright will surely retain his place and make what I think is scheduled to be his final appearance for us, so hopefully he will once again make a great contribution, preferably without getting out when set (although that is better for the team than being out within his first few balls) and without running any partners out.

Kent have named a 12-man squad for this match consisting of 7 Sam Billings (c), 23 Daniel Bell-Drummond, 16 Zak Crawley, 6 Joe Denly, 58 Sean Dickson, 4 Heino Kuhn, 25 Calum Haggett, 1 Harry Podmore, 33 Adam Riley, 12 Adam Rouse (wk), 9 Grant Stewart and 5 Ivan Thomas. They are resting Darren Stevens and Matt Henry due to their recent heavy workload, and no doubt with an eye on Saturday’s Royal London Cup final v Hampshire.

24 June, 2018 19:03
That is excellent news.

Matt Henry has an eye watering 49 championship wickets in 6 matches, at an average of only 13.41

And 42 year old Stevens dinky dobblers have taken 23 wickets at 18.17

That means Podders with 20 wickets is their most successful bowler on display, with 20 wickets at 22.95

25 June, 2018 13:57
Kent won toss, and bat first.

George Scott makes his championship debut.

Andersson, White and Barber the three left out.

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
25 June, 2018 15:32
3 wickets down,2 for Cartwright.
JK Fuller been given official warning for bowling a beamer,un-intended but rules are rules.
We have an umpire from Goa,another invitation umpire?

hdo (IP Logged)
25 June, 2018 17:49
Not a bad effort so far - Kent 134-6 after 45 overs. Will we allow their tail to wag, or will we finish them off for under 200?

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net