cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Tribute to Diamond at Leicester

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Re: Kent versus Middlesex at Canterbury (SCC - 25th to 28th June)
Jack Hearne (IP Logged)
26 June, 2018 22:11
Quote:
adelaide
(BTW, didn't we have a season or two where different red balls were used in the two divisions?). Despite what has been said about lack of practice (do we know that?) I'm pretty confident that Murtagh and Harris would have made a mess of Kent's innings if things had been the other way round, just as they did against Northants match at Lord's.

So, as with any experiment what works (from the playing point of view) and what doesn't? As has been pointed out, other Div 2 matches haven't gone the same way, despite use of the same brand of ball.

Adelaide

One may recall the use of a red Duke ball during the 1990 English season. It caused much comment due to the above average run scoring. It proved to be a challenging time for the bowlers.

SouthgateEmerald (IP Logged)
26 June, 2018 22:42
Quote:
tbl
Grant Stewart has taken more wickets and scored more runs in this match than in all his first class matches to date! Well done to him, but there must have been something seriously wrong with our bowling to allow a last wicket partnership of 100. And presumably the conditions in which a no.10 batsmen scored 100 off 74 balls but our no.1 and no.3 could not last 10 overs were pretty much identical?

It’s possible we are not very good just now.? I’m having flashbacks to the stellar batting line up and Ed0

tallliman (IP Logged)
26 June, 2018 23:03
Stewart's performance brings to mind a game against Sussex at Lord's where Rana Naveed-ul-Hasan scored a big ton and then took 12 wickets for the visitors.

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
26 June, 2018 23:04

Jack Hearne (IP Logged)
26 June, 2018 23:15
Quote:
SouthgateEmerald
Quote:
tbl
Grant Stewart has taken more wickets and scored more runs in this match than in all his first class matches to date! Well done to him, but there must have been something seriously wrong with our bowling to allow a last wicket partnership of 100. And presumably the conditions in which a no.10 batsmen scored 100 off 74 balls but our no.1 and no.3 could not last 10 overs were pretty much identical?

It’s possible we are not very good just now.? I’m having flashbacks to the stellar batting line up and Ed0

May I also draw your attention to the Kent No.11 Thomas who lasted 36 balls for 1*. Some partnership!

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 11:08
Kent lost their second wicket on 46 in the first innings, and 28 in their second, so us starting on 22-2 today will make an interesting comparison. They ended up with 241 and 281 in 'normal' conditions, so you would expect our final total to be similar. Anything below 200 would suggest that Kent were the better side, and would have won anyway.

Kent went from 137-7 to 241 in their first innings, and yesterday their last wicket pair put on a hundred. Even accepting the tail can wag a little I would say that across the two innings we let them get at least 100 too many, and there is little to suggest that if we had batted in 'normal' conditions our first innings total would have been better than 250 (combination of batsmen out of form, or being inexperienced, or just being called Hilton Cartwright), so I doubt we would have won in 'normal' circumstances.

We are missing TRJ badly, as it feels like we are always one bowler short to keep the pressure on, and finish innings off.

27 June, 2018 13:53
For those that never look further than the match thread, it seems we are now favourites to sign Lewis Gregory, and Liam Plunkett.

So says George Dobell.

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 14:20
2 wickets gone in first 20 minutes

27 June, 2018 14:23
I blame the floodlights and the pink ball.

27 June, 2018 14:30
40-5

So far my views are being confirmed.

27 June, 2018 14:44
48-6.

Hilda Carthorse gone for 4.

MiddleToWest (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 15:00
I suggest a decimation. In the true sense.

27 June, 2018 15:01
68-7

5 wickets for Pod.

Haringey Racer (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 15:01
Did Kent forget to switch the floodlights off last night?

27 June, 2018 15:05
I do wish Kevin Hand would stop making it sound like we have been a victim of a gross miscarriage of justice.

Nothing in this innings suggests we would have made a game of it without the twilight zone on Monday. If we had made 300 today it would have made the point we were hard done by, but at 68-7 it doesn't look like we are going to make many more than the first.

uncle_albert (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 15:17
Couldn't agree with you more Chunky. This is embarrassing. The 381 simply papered over a whole host of cracks in the team.

A test class batsman (Malan) should not be getting a pair. Podders has a 6 for! Top 3 can't buy a run this summer.

Play the youngsters and write this season off. Its been a disaster.

Currently 136-18 in the match. Pathetic.

Fozzie (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 15:22
This boy Podmore looks promising. I wonder where Kent found him?

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 15:35
Before the season started,top table said we are going to promote youth...WELL??

I feel for those who have spent good money going to this game.

Podmore goes,and proves he is a good player,who next?

3 points from this game

uncle_albert (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 15:35
Our number 11 is our top scorer. Murtagh and Harris are my players of the season. 100% commitment and endeavour in every game. A lesson for others. Now partnership worth 24...the highest of the innings.

27 June, 2018 15:45
Some people are on the pitch. They think it's all over.

It is now.

124 all out.

I look forward to a Richard Scott 'We must take the positives from this' type interview.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net