cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

RIP JT Murray Middlesex legend

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Re: Kent versus Middlesex at Canterbury (SCC - 25th to 28th June)
Rich 880 (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 16:05
A new low from a team in very serious freefall and a bad advert for county cricket. I pity those who paid money to watch this trash. Unforgivable !

tbl (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 16:11
I wonder if there are any other examples of a no.11 batsman not only being top scorer in an innings, but also scoring 3x as much as any other batsman in that innings.

dingy bags (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 16:39
I am actually and utterly shocked. I have not been able to look at any scores this afternoon so I logged in expecting us to be putting up a reasonable show, at least.

After the spirited effort to win at Grace Road, I did not expect this. And, like others, I don't want to hear excuses: crossbow bolts, dodgy covers, rakes, spinning pitches, unavailable players and now a bendy ball at twilight (cue for a song). Kent's best two bowlers aren't even playing and, in theory, they should have had half an eye on the weekend final!!!

A serious upswing necessary for the rest of the season. On past experiences, T20 is not really the place for us to start that.

wembleylion (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 17:21
An absolute disgrace, the way this club and almost all of its players have gone backwards is heartbreaking.A complete clear out from top downwards is needed urgently, there is something seriously wrong. I can see a big drop in membership next season unless they do something.

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 17:25
No post match interview yet.

Maybe they are in 'lock down '.

I think they are contractually obliged to make someone available. I don't think, 'Now is not a good time' is an option, but I bet they wish it was.

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 17:30
I think Scottie was watching the German footie game to make him feel better.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

27 June, 2018 17:34
Hot off the press- Kevin Hand interview with Richard Scott-

[twitter.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/06/2018 17:36 by chunkyinargyll.

27 June, 2018 17:47
Not sure I agree with much of what he says there, but spot on in his condemnation of D/N 4 day games. For a less biased view...

[www.espncricinfo.com]

27 June, 2018 17:48
Richard Scott adopting the politician's trick of, 'When in trouble, deny everything, and blame everyone else' (in this case conditions making it 'a lottery'- but that really is unconvincing, even though he seems to believe it)

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 17:54
Although not there,watching scores,getting texts and phone calls.
One text from someone who is usually very calm and laid back was received after the humiliation was complete,and,I could feel anger through the words.
Are there problems behind the scenes?
Promotion this year? Looking doubtful,but what do I know?
We have few players resting now for the t20 circus,any seconds game they could play in to regain any form?
Another thing worries me...how many times have we returned to the real game of county cricket after the t20 and had a bad game?

Ivor's Tache (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 18:14
After the T20 last year was when the serious slide in Championship form kicked in. I tend to think there must be issues behind the scenes but, if there are, the club is somehow keeping a lid on it.

Attention diverted to football World Cup until Thursday week v the Mexes

27 June, 2018 18:18
I'd love to know if there was some bust up with Compton that we haven't been told about.

A complete refusal to pick him come what may is ridiculous, and a huge part of fans beginning to wonder if it is time for change.

27 June, 2018 19:13
I can't see too many 2nd team players banging on the door of the 1st team. Presumably Cartwright is off but Robson Stirling and Holden are not scoring enough runs. Beyond Murtagh and Harris the bowling is threadbare.

tallliman (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 19:55
The thought that we could well bat for 80 overs, be 200/2 and then the ball would start to misbehave under lights and roll us over must be a strong one.

I spent a day at Trent Bridge yesterday, the ball did more and was more difficult to see in the twilight than the rest of the day even after 40 overs. To have that in your mind must be difficult to cope with.

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 20:02
You will have to go back around 75 years to find the last time both the Spitfires have had such a good day and the Germans have had such a bad day. However, you probably won’t have to cast your minds anywhere near as far back to find bad days for Middlesex, as it seems that we have had a quite a few bad days in the 75 days since this season’s County Championship campaign started (although it actually started well when we won our opener v Northamptonshire at Lord’s).

There is absolutely no hiding the fact that this has been a terrible performance by us and great one by Kent. I wasn’t too sure at the close of day one, but I am certain now.

I don’t think there is any benefit in saying that this result spells the end of our promotion hopes, but we are left with a big mountain to climb. Our next Championship match will be at Lord’s, when we play Warwickshire for the only time this season. When the fixtures were published, I anticipated that the fact it would our only meeting with them would mean that it would be helpful for our promotion prospects if we beat them and thus take points off them. I still think that that is still the case, although I would go as far as to say that it is vital that we beat them, as a defeat would probably be it for our promotion hopes.

The decision for us to let Harry Podmore leave for Kent looks very poor now, but I don’t think we anticipated that Toby Roland-Jones would miss the vast majority of the season, that some of our other fast bowlers would have injury/fitness/form concerns or that Podmore would perform so well for Kent. However, surely we should have anticipated that it would be unlikely that TRJ or Tom Helm would play the whole season, as Helm’s involvement with England Lions isn’t a great surprise, while TRJ may have been away with England a lot had he been fit.

Cricinfo’s Matt Roller has produced a report of today.

I am not sure how many people have much positive to say about the concept of playing day/night first-class cricket in England. I am sure that even people involved with a county who has performed well in these matches have reasons to be skeptical. I doubt that Kent’s finance department are happy that the only evenings which saw play in this match were Monday and Tuesday, which are probably the two evenings on which people are least likely to fancy the idea of going to cricket. However, even if it is accepted that day/night first-class matches don’t work well here and even if it is decided that England will not host any more day/night Test matches (not that there is any indication that such a decision will be made, although they are not staging a day/night Test this summer due to India objecting), I imagine that these matches will continue in county cricket, as England will probably play a couple of day/night Tests in each of the coming years, meaning that ECB are likely to insist that day/night Championship matches continue in order to prepare players for day/night Tests.

Fozzie (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 20:51
That's a really hard-hitting report by Cricinfo, but fully justified. The time has come to stop casting around for excuses and blaming others for our poor results and performances.

Haringey Racer (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 21:00
I'm sure it's bad form to quote one's own posts but my comments during the Leicester game seem even more relevant today

Quote:
No doubt the batting will get all the blame but how often have the bowlers let the last few wickets put on 150+?
Is the problem that they aren't as good as they think they are? Or is it that they are being given the wrong instructions?

Never mind Arrowgate: that wasn't the reason we were relegated it was because the batsmen didn't score enough runs and the bowlers didn't take enough wickets.

Despite the winter's review nothing has changed: near enough the same players and coaches achieving the same results but now in Division 2.

Quote:
The second innings turnaround mustn't be allowed to deflect from the inadequacies of the first two days.

28 June, 2018 08:56
Harry Podmore interview-

[www.kentcricket.co.uk]

Most telling comment- 'If there's no competition, people get comfortable, and start slacking'.

GPM (IP Logged)
28 June, 2018 11:19
The attitude and mind set of both the management and players remind me of the Middlesex teams of the late 1960's and early 1970's before Mike Brearley took over the captaincy. Keep your chin up Middlesex supporters, I am sure we will see good times again.

Lifer (IP Logged)
28 June, 2018 11:31
Quote:
chunkyinargyll
Harry Podmore interview-

[www.kentcricket.co.uk]

Most telling comment- 'If there's no competition, people get comfortable, and start slacking'.

But the thing is Podmore wasn't prepared to compete - he wanted guaranteed first team cricket and left when he didn't get it

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net