cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

RIP JT Murray Middlesex legend

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Re: Middlesex versus Surrey at Lord's (Vitality t20 Blast - 5th July)
chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
05 July, 2018 16:52
Surrey won the toss, and bat first.

Ravi Patel is playing!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2018 17:00 by chunkyinargyll.

05 July, 2018 17:03
Asked how long he has had to get to know his team mates Dwayne Bravo said, 'A couple of days. Yesterday was a training day, but it was optional, and only five guys turned up'

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
05 July, 2018 17:07
PA giving the team out,with pics,and comes out with this gem....Number 47,Dwayne 'The Champion' Bravo.
Really??

adelaide (IP Logged)
05 July, 2018 20:33
That would have been a very bad match to lose! That Cartwright was a good signing though.

I know I shouldn't but I felt Smith was placed in a very unfair position on debut at the age of 17, particularly with Borthwick at the other end. Getting rid of Clarke and Pope in short order probably saved 20 or 30 runs.

Adelaide (not venturing out - hay fever horrible today)

05 July, 2018 20:38
Great to watch a Middle victory on Sky!

As the commentators said, mistakes by both sides, but ultimately Surrey made more mistakes than us.

Spin to win, as we had Stirling, Patel and Sowter, and they only had Batty (who did his usual over the top celebrations when he got two wickets in two balls).

Crucially Surrey managed only 17 runs in their last four overs. 17 year old Jamie Smith didn't really look ready for his debut, and couldn't get the ball to the boundary. Same for Borthwick, although he couldn't use inexperience as his excuse.

A Stirling effort from our chunky opening bat, and Cartwright delivered when it mattered too.

One thing which may or may not be significant:- when we were fielding, on the players balcony were (as you might expect) Vettori and Houghton. But also on the balcony was Craig McMillan. It isn't normal for someone with no connection to a club to be in the changing room, so was he just invited in as Vettori's mate, or is he inline for a job vacancy?

No idea about his coaching credentials. May mean something significant, or may mean nothing at all.

Edit to add- according to his wiki entry McMillan is currently New Zealand's batting coach, so probably not interested in being our new head coach.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2018 20:54 by chunkyinargyll.

Rocks&Boulders (IP Logged)
05 July, 2018 20:38
Get it right up the mexicans. (Sm13)

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
05 July, 2018 20:47
Cricket,and a few times playing the football anthem 'Three lions',don't think it's needed at cricket.
Unless they are going to play 10cc track 'Dreadlock Holiday' on Saturday when England play in Russia?

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
05 July, 2018 22:31
This result marks an excellent start to Middlesex’s Twenty20 campaign, although admittedly the win wasn’t against a full-strength Surrey side, and it wasn’t as comfortable as it at one stage looked likely to be.

It was an excellent match for Paul Stirling, and it was of very tittle surprise that he was named Man of the Match. What was a surprise was him bowling his full allocation, something which contributed to Ravi Patel only bowling two overs. I assumed that Patel would bowl again at the death, but it is difficult to argue with the decision to give Stirlo four overs and for Tom Helm and Dwayne Bravo to bowl at the death considering Stirlo bowled well, and Helm and Bravo kept Surrey way below the 180 that I thought they could have got. As for Stirlo’s batting, we could have ended up suffering a heavy defeat had Stirlo not been in such lethal form.

We were on course for a comfortable win when we were 88-1 after 9.1 overs, needing 71 off 65 to win, and in sight of getting the rate required below 6.00 an over. However, I knew Middlesex too well to have felt certain that we would win. When the next seven deliveries brought four wickets and one run, and I felt it was important that Hilton Cartwright and John Simpson steadied the ship, which they thankfully did. Well done to Cartwright and James Fuller on their batting. We had to wait until shortly before the end of get the rate required below 6.00.

The reason why Bravo has the nickname of Champion is because that is the name of a song he released.

George Dobell has produced a report for Cricinfo.

It was appropriate that Three Lions was played a couple of times and was sung by the crowd, as the song features the line “England's gonna throw it away, gonna blow it away, but I know they can play”, which is similar to how I feel about Middlesex, apart from the fact I am unconvinced that our middle order can play. My memory of following football stretches back to 1998, so it isn’t unprecedented for England to reach the quarter-final of a major tournament, as they also did so in 2002, 2004, 2006 and 2012, meaning that surely this country should be immune to football fever. However, I think the reason why football fever has swept through is because England finally won a shoot-out on Tuesday, and because their potential path to the World Cup final seems kind. Hopefully 2018 will be one year that England don’t disappoint and don’t fly home in disgrace. Let’s not get complacent.

The group of people in the Pavilion wearing yellow jackets were a team from the Vatican City.

adelaide (IP Logged)
05 July, 2018 23:02
On the topic of mixing religion with cricket, I did note that Bangladesh have a Kamrun Islam Rabbi playing. That really is ecumenical.

The filthiest football team I ever played (I never played Colombia) was a team from a college for trainee vicars, so from the Vatican team I would confidently expect mankading, claiming dropped catches, dissent and divine intervention when it comes to the ball.

Adelaide

Cried on Sky (IP Logged)
05 July, 2018 23:05
Okay, we won. I hate to be negative but what the hell were the batsmen doing? If not for Stirlo we’d have lost that. Fair play to Cartwright who outshone our other overseas by a factor of about 10 to 1. We were cruising and then international and rep batsmen resorted to slogging. Seriously. Also, what utterly terrible fielding in the first few overs of Surrey’s knock. We had racked up ten runs in misfields very quickly, before the game had even really begun: we were incredibly lucky tonight. Again, I’m sorry to be negative after a win but wow, no chance of winning the comp playing like that.

06 July, 2018 00:41
Have just seen the match again on Sky as its always good to beat the Mexicans.
Thought that maybe the turning point of the game was Morkel dropping Cartwright when he had just reached double figures.
I do question the mentality of our batsmen (Stirling exempted) though - the required run rate was easily achievable - wickets in hand - short boundary - the pitch was playing well so what is the point of trying to hit every ball for six?
Also have to question if both Gubbins & Eskinazi are in fact 20/20 batsmen and can only hope Malan's wretched run of form comes to an end.
Bring on Essex!!

Lifer (IP Logged)
06 July, 2018 11:11
[
The group of people in the Pavilion wearing yellow jackets were a team from the Vatican City.[/quote]

St Peter's CC the official Vatican team playing on the Nursery ground today

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
06 July, 2018 12:08
Once gain we are beholden to Paul Stirling for providing the batting ballast with 66. Add to that his 4-0-26 -3, several in the powerplay, clearly MX mom.

He was supported latterly by Cartwright 36, though on going for the big hit to win holed out. Over to JK Fuller who steered MX home with 18no.

After Stirlo's dismissal at 88, we then had a bizarre spell where three further wickets crashed to the Mexican bowlers for the addition of 1 run.

Bizarrely, leaving the Mexican bowlers on two hat tricks which were safely negotiated.

Carwright and Simmo guided us to the safer waters of 133 before Simmo holed out. Enter JK Fuller.

Bravo's 18th and 20th overs looked ook for an an 'at the death bowler'. Going for 8 runs.

This was our 6th win at Lords versus the Mexicans. They have nine wins.

Overall they lead by 19 wins to 10.

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
06 July, 2018 18:40
Paul Stirling has spoken to Middlesex's YouTube page about this match:

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net