cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

RIP JT Murray Middlesex legend

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Middlesex versus Surrey at Lord's (Vitality t20 Blast - 5th July)
Jack Hearne (IP Logged)
28 June, 2018 06:08
A new campaign commences at Lord's on 5th July under coach Daniel Vettori. We wish the team every success.

The club have signed three new overseas cricketers this year. They are the all-rounders Ashton Agar (for the final eleven group matches) and Dwayne Bravo (for the first six matches).

The contract of Hilton Cartwright has been extended until Sunday 8th July which enables him to act as cover as for Agar during the matches versus Surrey, Essex and Gloucestershire.

A vice-captain has yet to be announced, in case there is a need to cover for club captain Dawid Malan.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2018 08:18 by BarmierKev.

Re: Middlesex versus Surrey at Lord's (Vitality t20 Blast - 5th July)
Jack Hearne (IP Logged)
28 June, 2018 13:19
Middlesex versus Surrey at Lord's:

* Malan*
* Stirling
* Gubbins
* Eskinazi
* Simpson+
* Bravo
* Cartwright
* Fuller
* Helm
* Sowter
* Patel

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2018 18:51 by Jack Hearne.

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
28 June, 2018 21:23
Hopefully a change of format and a change of management will bring some success to Middlesex’s season. We reached the quarter-finals in 2016 and should have the desire to perform better than we did during our inconsistent 2017 campaign (when we recorded five wins and seven defeats), so I would like to think that that gives us a lot to work with. We all know what happened the last time we played a Twenty20 campaign in a year ending with an 8!

England have limited-overs matches until 17th July and begin a Test series on 1st August, so that will restrict Eoin Morgan and Dawid Malan’s availability, with Morgan obviously out of the Surrey match alongside Jason Roy, Tom Curran and Sam Curran, unless any of those players are deemed unlikely to play in England’s Twenty20 series v India and are made available for their county. We will have to see who will captain us when Malan is away with England (or if he becomes unavailable for another reason), as it could be Steven Finn like it was for our Royal London Cup campaign, or maybe Morgan or John Simpson.

Despite the presence of Ashton Agar, I imagine that we will play one out of Nathan Sowter and Ravi Patel in each of our matches, as we will probably want to bowl more than four overs of spin in each match. However, I am not sure if we will find a place for all three of those players in our side.

Agar is capable of taking wickets, bowling economically and scoring runs, so hopefully he will make several great contributions.

This fixture usually draws an excellent attendance to Lord’s. However, it was been widely-reported that Mexicans have recently had difficulties crossing the border, so that could affect the attendance. Two pieces of good news for those hoping that this competition attracts large attendances across the country are that there is no World Cup football next Thursday, and the scenario whereby England play a quarter-final on Friday 6th July (which would have happened had they finished top of their group and won their round-of-16 match) and thus potentially affect the evening's cricket attendances has been avoided. A lot of people will be hopeful that this competition is well-attended in order to prove the point that a new 100-ball competition is unnecessary.

Jack Hearne (IP Logged)
28 June, 2018 21:43
JW has provided a good analysis. As Agar is deemed an all-rounder then perhaps we could accommodate all three spinners.

It is also worth noting that as Bravo is another all-rounder (who bowls medium-fast), we could start the campaign with three seamers and three spinners forming a balanced bowling attack.

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
29 June, 2018 05:32
Besides Agar and Sowter, we have Stirling, Holden and Malan, who can easily bowl 4 overs between them. I doubt we will see Ravi Patel at all in T20.

Having a different coach could work to our advantage this year (because Scott seems to be running on empty). The disadvantage is the same as last year, namely Vettori, rightly picking what he thinks is the best side, won't see the 'bigger picture' (need to keep Patel happy, and the need to get White, Scott and Andersson some game time).

It would be galling if this time next year Ravi Patel is putting in a career best performance against us, because he has moved elsewhere.

Fozzie (IP Logged)
29 June, 2018 17:33
Personally I think the bigger picture is to perform well in this competition, particularly after the disappointing performances in the other two competitions. It's hard on Ravi, but if it was considered a priority to keep him happy the club wouldn't have signed an overseas slow-left-armer in Agar.

George Scott got 6 games under Vettori last season, so let's trust that he will not simply pick what seems on paper to be the strongest team. But I'd like to see us give it our best shot at winning the competition rather than be talking at this stage about preparing for the future.

Fozzie (IP Logged)
29 June, 2018 17:38
Looking further ahead beyond our opening three matches, can anyone explain why we don't play st all between 8-19 July, when as far as I can see most other teams are playing twice in this period?

30 June, 2018 18:02
I think that the pitch for this match could be the same one as that used for today’s high-scoring Royal London Cup final. If so, then that could be helpful for spinners, although used pitches sometimes result in low-scoring matches.

Although Dawid Malan has been named in England’s squad for Tuesday’s first Twenty20 international v India due to an injury to Tom Curran, it wouldn’t surprise me if Malan once again carries the drinks. As long as there are no further injuries in the England camp, I would have thought that Malan will be able to play for Middlesex v Surrey and that he won’t be asked to stay with the England squad for the final two matches of the series on the Friday and Sunday.

adelaide (IP Logged)
30 June, 2018 20:46
Malan is such an obvious like-for-like replacement for Tom Curran but if the only skill required is carrying out the drinks...

Adelaide

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
02 July, 2018 10:41
Probably a full house for 1st game,against the Mexicans and live on Sky.
Usually,The Tavern is not available to be used just for a drink,as need to book a table to dine before the game.
The standard bag check will no doubt be in place,so,after a few teething problems for other home games and 'large crowds' I would recommend an early arrival.
Is the Middlesex Room open for a drink before the game?
SJW station will be heaving after the game,Walk to Baker Street Stn same.
Could use Warwick Avenue for alternative station if needed,only 10 min walk.

02 July, 2018 19:16
I hope that all the turnstiles will be open and well-staffed at the North Gate, Grace Gates and East Gate. Last year, Lower Mound and I discovered that there is another entrance at the far end of Wellington Place (near the North Gate), which gave us easy access into Lord’s for Twenty20 matches, so I will probably use it again. I think it is for Middlesex and MCC members only, although I don’t see how normal ticket-holders can’t get in by using it too.

I hope that Ashton Agar will be able to play in this match and our two subsequent matches. However, I am not totally sure if he will, as he today played in a Twenty20 match between Australia and Pakistan in Harare in Zimbabwe, which is part of a triangular series between those three countries that runs until Sunday 8th July. When I arrived from work this evening to find Lower Mound informing me that a big story had broken at Middlesex, I was fearful that it was to say that Agar had had to pull out, but thankfully that wasn’t the case.

[edited as I initially wrote that 8th July is going to be a Monday]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2018 19:20 by Jonathan Winsky.

03 July, 2018 14:00
Hilda Carthorse has been retained for our first three T20 matches-

[twitter.com]

Clearly someone thinks she is doing a good job.

Fozzie (IP Logged)
03 July, 2018 14:02
I guess that Agar's absence for the first three matches may provide an unexpected opportunity for Ravi.

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
03 July, 2018 15:07
Lord's Twitter page now saying only single tickets available for Thursday,so a sell out looks on.
Rock up early folks!

03 July, 2018 18:01
My first reaction when I heard that one of Middlesex’s overseas players for the first three matches will be Hilton Cartwright rather than Ashton Agar was disappointment, as I wouldn’t have been sad had we seen the last of Cartwright, and I wouldn’t have been sad had we gone without an overseas player. It may be disruptive to our plans that we will have to start without Agar. However, you never know, maybe just maybe, Cartwright could do well during in these three matches. He marked his final Royal London Cup appearance by scoring 60 not out off 40 balls.

Tom Curran has now been ruled out of all of the limited-overs matches between England and India, although it doesn’t look like Dawid Malan has been called-up for the any of the remaining matches, so hopefully he will be able to play in Middlesex’s Twenty20 campaign until the start of the Test series.

I was rather hopeful nothing major would happen at Middlesex or on MTWD yesterday or today in order for me to watch the football. I won’t post again until half-time despite there being a few more things I would like to write about.

04 July, 2018 14:40
Squad named-

Malan (c) Bravo, Cartwright, Eskinazi, Fuller, Gubbins, Harris, Helm, Patel, Scott, Simpson (wk) Sowter, Stirling.

Finn misses first three games with bruised knee.

adelaide (IP Logged)
04 July, 2018 16:50
Noted in an article on the BBC website that David Warner has replaced the injured Dwayne Bravo as captain of Winnipeg Hawks.

Yet another stay of execution for Cartwright?

Adelaide

04 July, 2018 18:50
As much as I like Steven Finn, the fact he hasn’t been in the best of form this season means that it doesn’t feel like a massive blow that he will miss the start of Middlesex’s Twenty20 campaign. At least it means that Jameses Fuller and Harris are both in contention after not playing in our 2017 campaign, which is great news considering Fuller is well-suited to limited-overs cricket, while Harris seems to currently be in good form.

There was no hint of injury when Dwayne Bravo spoke to our YouTube page:

My guess why BBC state that he is injured is because they have made that assumption after hearing that his has left the Global T20 Canada. I am beginning to lose trust in BBC, as Five Live’s commentary of Sweden v Switzerland yesterday featured Pat Nevin saying that Sweden would give England nothing to worry about in the event of England beating Colombia (as they later did), while a compilation of football songs on Radio 1 this morning included Queen’s We are the Champions. Thank you for cursing England’s chances of winning the World Cup!

Quote:
Jonathan Winsky
Tom Curran has now been ruled out of all of the limited-overs matches between England and India, although it doesn’t look like Dawid Malan has been called-up for the any of the remaining matches, so hopefully he will be able to play in Middlesex’s Twenty20 campaign until the start of the Test series

Despite not being named in the England squad, Middlesex’s official website says that he will travel to Cardiff after tomorrow's match and presumably to Bristol on Sunday for the last two Twenty20 internationals, which would rule him out of Middlesex’s second and third matches.

John Simpson has spoken to ECB Reporters Network ahead of this match.

Surrey have named a 14-man squad for this match consisting of Jade Dernbach (captain), Gareth Batty, Scott Borthwick, Rory Burns, Rikki Clarke, Matt Dunn, Ben Foakes, Will Jacks, Morne Morkel, Ryan Patel, Mathew Pillans, Ollie Pope, Jamie Smith and Freddie van den Bergh.

Fozzie (IP Logged)
04 July, 2018 20:44
I hope that someone will draw to the attention of our team that Northants this evening threw away a commanding position by being fined 6 runs for a slow over rate, losing the match as a result.. (Though they did rather compound their problems by giving away 5 wides in the final over...)

04 July, 2018 21:55
Northamptonshire are worse than Middlesex at controlling their over rate! Last season, Northants were deducted 5 County Championship points after presumably finishing a match with an over rate of -5, which is a figure we tend to manage to avoid reaching. Maybe they should have bowled more than 6 overs of spin tonight considering their two most economical bowlers were both spinners.

There should be no excuse for either Middlesex or Surrey failing to bowl their overs in time tomorrow, as the scoreboard at Lord’s nearly always shows the cut-off time for limited-overs matches, and if that isn’t enough, then the Edrich stand scoreboard usually shows a countdown clock until the cut-off time when the match is shown on Sky.

John Simpson’s interview today hinted that we will make great use of our spin bowlers during this tournament, something which would be helpful for our over rate. The fact this match may be played on the same pitch as Saturday's Royal London Cup final and the fact there has been hardly any rain recently may cause the pitch to be conducive to spin.

Simmo also said “Teams who lose 4-5 wickets in the powerplay rarely win matches". I know that it is often said that teams who lose 3 wickets in the 6-over powerplay are about 90% likely to lose the match, so I certainly don't want us to lose 4-5 wickets in this period!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net