cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Tribute to Diamond at Leicester

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Richard Scott leaves
Fozzie (IP Logged)
02 July, 2018 14:45
Richard Johnson temporarily in charge. [www.middlesexccc.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2018 07:03 by BarmierKev.

Re: Richard Scott leaves
chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
02 July, 2018 14:58
Sad, but inevitable.

His last interview with Kevin Hand was misjudged, and he seemed to have run out of ideas.

Vettori in the T20 buys us some time.

BREARS (IP Logged)
02 July, 2018 15:01
About time too, give it to Jonno

Haringey Racer (IP Logged)
02 July, 2018 15:30
A good chance for Johnno but I'm not convinced he isn't part of the problem. We seem to have lost the ability to bowl out tail-enders quickly.

Rocks&Boulders (IP Logged)
02 July, 2018 16:06
Been expecting this news.
Good luck to Johnno me old china for the rest of the season.

Jack Hearne (IP Logged)
02 July, 2018 16:12
We wish Richard Scott every success in his future career. He led us out of the Second Division and eventually to winning the County Championship. However he was unable to sustain this success.

During his tenure, he oversaw a complete restructuring of the coaching staff. There has been an increase in international recognition for our cricketers.

The List A team was unable to win any silverware but whoever the club appoints as the new Head Coach will have an impressive challenge awaiting them.

wembleylion (IP Logged)
02 July, 2018 16:14
Well done Angus, long overdue. Would love to see Franks given a role in the new set up.

Sussex Seaxe (IP Logged)
02 July, 2018 16:22
Richard has a successful record in the red ball game, until we won the Championship. For this, we should be thankful to him. Modern coaches do, I think, have a tenure beyond which they go a little stale. The days of Don Bennett are long gone; his like didn't work that closely with the first team anyway.

It is probably a good thing to make the change, although sad that it had to be mid season. I hope Richard goes on to make a good, fresh, start elsewhere and that we recruit somebody from outside who understands the club and inspires and motivates the squad.

Jack Hearne (IP Logged)
02 July, 2018 17:01
Quote:
Sussex Seaxe
Richard has a successful record in the red ball game, until we won the Championship. For this, we should be thankful to him. Modern coaches do, I think, have a tenure beyond which they go a little stale. The days of Don Bennett are long gone; his like didn't work that closely with the first team anyway.

It is probably a good thing to make the change, although sad that it had to be mid season. I hope Richard goes on to make a good, fresh, start elsewhere and that we recruit somebody from outside who understands the club and inspires and motivates the squad.

This is a balanced and fair response. This has been our most enduring coaching appointment since the retirement of the late Don Bennett. I am also not keen on mid-season departures but perhaps this news was not unexpected following recent events.

02 July, 2018 17:22
This assumes that RS is/was the problem.

Jack Hearne (IP Logged)
02 July, 2018 17:34
Quote:
freddie tittlemouse

As Head Coach, Richard Scott took the ultimate responsibility for the recent fortunes of the team. It does not have to have a personal aspect.

02 July, 2018 17:43
I wonder if Richard Scott knew he was done for when he gave Kevin Hand that interview after the Kent match. It might explain why it was so uninspiring. Alternatively, it might be the interview itself that was the final straw.

Beam me up, Scottie!

(Sm132)

adelaide (IP Logged)
02 July, 2018 17:53
There was that period under Shaun Udal when he was more or less described by Udal as the man putting out the cones. Then we had the successful years, at least in the CC, which coincided with Gus's arrival as Director of Cricket. Now we are back in the dumps again. But who exactly should get the credit/blame for what happens? Gus is seen as the driving force who got us to the title but it seems rough on Scott that he gets the blame in the bad times but not a lot of credit in the good times.

Oh, and Chris Adams is available.

Adelaide

02 July, 2018 18:12
Quote:
Jack Hearne
Quote:
freddie tittlemouse

As Head Coach, Richard Scott took the ultimate responsibility for the recent fortunes of the team. It does not have to have a personal aspect.

Who said anything about a personal aspect? If there is a malaise at the club there could be any number of reasons.

TOP TIER PAVILION (IP Logged)
02 July, 2018 18:26
(Sm132)
GOOD
(Sm132)

Jack Hearne (IP Logged)
02 July, 2018 19:16
Quote:
adelaide
There was that period under Shaun Udal when he was more or less described by Udal as the man putting out the cones. Then we had the successful years, at least in the CC, which coincided with Gus's arrival as Director of Cricket. Now we are back in the dumps again. But who exactly should get the credit/blame for what happens? Gus is seen as the driving force who got us to the title but it seems rough on Scott that he gets the blame in the bad times but not a lot of credit in the good times.
Oh, and Chris Adams is available.

Adelaide

We need to be level headed about this and draw a line between the roles of Managing Director of Cricket and Head Coach.

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
02 July, 2018 19:42
It is sad that Richard Scott has lost his job, but something had to change, as the deterioration in Middlesex’s County Championship performances in the two years since winning the title must be amongst the worst in sporting history for a side who has managed to keep most of their main players under contract (although admittedly a few players have spent time on international duty or in the treatment room, while some of our other players have had form issues, all of which is unhelpful for our performances).

Considering our next two Championship matches are three and seven weeks away respectively, it feels like a natural time to make a change, as it gives everyone at the club certainty about who will be coaching us for the remainder of our campaign.

I am very thankful for Scott taking us from division two, making us an established division one club, and leading us to the runners-up spot then title winners. It is just a shame that those successes turned out not to be the springboard to several more high finishes.

A lot of people on social media seem to want Angus Fraser to go too. However, I don’t know whether that would be a good idea, as I am not sure if there are many natural replacements around. I imagine that Gus sees his immediate future at Middlesex, otherwise he would have surely put himself forward for a scouting role in the new England set-up. Coming to think of it, the appointment of Steve Rhodes as Bangladesh head coach has created a scouting vacancy in the England set-up, so maybe Scott could fill it.

Whatever Scott’s next career move is, I wish him good luck.

Congratulations to Richard Johnson on being appointed in the top coaching job at Middlesex for the rest of the season, which is a great reward for the time he has spent in our coaching set-up since retirement in 2007. If he does well, it would boost his chances of either becoming our permanent head coach or getting a job as an international bowling coach. I am actually surprised that no international team has picked him up yet.

It will be interesting to see who the permanent head coach will be. If we look for someone already at the club, we could go for Johnson, 2nd XI coach Alan Coleman or one of the current senior players. Or we could go for a former Middlesex player or someone who has not been at the club before.

02 July, 2018 19:54
Jonathan- I thought Richard Johnson had ruled himself out of international jobs in the past, as he doesn't want to spend too much time away from home.

If things pick up in the last 7 championship matches then I suppose RJ could be promoted to the top job.

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
02 July, 2018 20:15
10 years is a pretty good run in a position in sport.
Yep,we had promotion from Div 2 and of course the championship 2 years ago.
But,as we all know the results since 2016 have been poor,and change was needed.
We will never know if Scottie was pushed or jumped,that is club confidentiality.
Who will come in?
Myself,I would like to see us not sign an overseas big name player next year,and use the money to sign a big name coach,be it from our isles or overseas,it doesn't bother me,just want our club rebuilt and back in the top flight of county cricket.
At Leicester,it was a bit strange that Scott on 3rd day sat on his own for about hour until joined by two members of the coaching staff,so wonder he was thinking.
Have had couple of chats with him in the past,and was approachable and open to chat to.

But,as we all really knew,change is needed.
So,had good and bad times with him,and wish him luck for the future.

Added...Good luck to Jonno for the rest of the season.
Let's see how the rest of our county season lays now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2018 22:09 by BeefyRoberts.

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
02 July, 2018 21:42

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net