cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

RIP JT Murray Middlesex legend

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Re: Richard Scott leaves
chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
06 July, 2018 13:36
Quote:
Seaxe_Man
Chunky. Jack Hearne. Young Jack or old Jack. They were cousins. One from Bucks and the other from West Drayton.
JT Hearne (Old Jack) was the first, an excellent bowler who did sterling work for the middle way back in the late 19th and early 20th century from the the top of my head.

JW Hearne was more the all rounder who scored one Test century. He suffered from ill -health throughout his lengthy career and died in his home town of West Drayton in 1965.

I think also that JW Hearne had 96(71 for MX) career centuries. I think without referencing.

Both men are MX Legends. JT is second to Titmus in the wicket taking stakes. JW third. Just checked.

Seaxe_Man-

You'd have to ask our Jack Hearne which Jack Hearne he is.

There again, he does seem to have a multiple personality disorder, as he is also EH Hendren, and Patsy Hendren.

So my bet is both Jack Hearne's.

smiling bouncing smiley

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
06 July, 2018 13:38
And chunky. With regard to the non declaration versus Essex. Scott was on the field and seemed to be conducting the committee meeting before we batted again.

So suspect he had a large finger in that particular pie.

Essex members chatted to then and later, said they could not believe that they had been let off the hook.

Gave them momentum for their championship win as we did in 2009, when after saving the game, a ridiculous target of 240 odd was offered off about 45 overs.

The Essex one day bats duly obliged with time to spare. This gave them momentum for their eventual promotion in 2009.

adelaide (IP Logged)
06 July, 2018 14:55
And doesn't one of the multiple personalities - Hendren and Hearne, is it? - itself have a multiple personality?

Adelaide

lower pavilion (IP Logged)
07 July, 2018 14:40
I have to completely disagree with the majority of the posts on this thread.

Cricket is becoming more and more like football. In both sports, it seems to me, it is always the coaches that get the blame rarely if ever the players.

When we won the County Championship in 2016 for the first time in 23 years, many members said this was all down to the players. When we got relegated last year, many of the same members were saying this was all down to the coaches.

For me Richard Scott will always be remembered as the coach who presided over the team that won the County Championship for the first time in 23 years.

I for one will miss him, and I thank him for all he has done for Middlesex CCC, and wish him all the very best.

Thank you Richard Scott.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2018 17:03 by lower pavilion.

adelaide (IP Logged)
07 July, 2018 14:50
Quote:
Seaxe_Man
And chunky. With regard to the non declaration versus Essex. Scott was on the field and seemed to be conducting the committee meeting before we batted again.
So suspect he had a large finger in that particular pie.

Essex members chatted to then and later, said they could not believe that they had been let off the hook.

Gave them momentum for their championship win as we did in 2009, when after saving the game, a ridiculous target of 240 odd was offered off about 45 overs.

The Essex one day bats duly obliged with time to spare. This gave them momentum for their eventual promotion in 2009.

Kevin Hand has said on air that the batsmen wanted to do one thing, the bowlers another, and that James Franklin made the call. If Mr Hand was also told how much (if any) input Richard Scott had he didn't say, though at that point the role of the coach wasn't being discussed.

Adelaide

PaulR_enfield (IP Logged)
07 July, 2018 21:31
Agree in general with Adelaide, but the whole problem for me is that we as mere supporters/members don't really know who is responsible or accountable as we have a captain, a head coach (& various assistants) and an MD of cricket who is unlikely to sack himself when things go wrong as they have for the past season and a half but was very happy to be interviewd as the main man by the press & tv when we won the championship.

Oh for the days of 1971 to 1997 when we had two club captains in that period and the same coach and there was never any doubt who was responsible for the performances of the first team.

Jack Hearne (IP Logged)
08 July, 2018 07:57
Quote:
lower pavilion
I have to completely disagree with the majority of the posts on this thread.
Cricket is becoming more and more like football. In both sports, it seems to me, it is always the coaches that get the blame rarely if ever the players.

When we won the County Championship in 2016 for the first time in 23 years, many members said this was all down to the players. When we got relegated last year, many of the same members were saying this was all down to the coaches.

For me Richard Scott will always be remembered as the coach who presided over the team that won the County Championship for the first time in 23 years.

I for one will miss him, and I thank him for all he has done for Middlesex CCC, and wish him all the very best.

Thank you Richard Scott.

I personally like this well balanced article. Several good points have been made We may live in a changing world but we can be civil whilst expressing ourselves.

Primrose Hillbilly (IP Logged)
08 July, 2018 11:34
Well, as Lower Pavillion is an avowed follower of the Chelsea based soccer franchise, funded by a gentleman who now carries an Israeli passport, he may know more about any relative proximity to Oikball that cricket has achieved than most.

MCCC is a club run for and by members, CFC is ..................... not. We do at least get to elect some of our officers and have members forums where we can make our feelings known.

It is always the players who must take responsibility for what happens on the pitch, it is in their hands that a bat or ball is held.

The coach is not - as Udall appallingly said - only responsible for putting out the cones. He is- imho - responsible for the preparation, morale and supervision of everything to do with the squad of players. He must act over and above the captain, as he may have to take the skipper to one side and tell him some hard facts.

As cricket is a team game made up of individual performances, the coach needs to get the players to gell and play for the common good. At times of a strong captain, that might not be necessary, at others it might be, and the ideal is a great working relationship between skipper and coach.

Not helped by the fact that Franco's form last year meant he was not always an automatic selection, but this year the drift has worsened.

However, fact of life - you've got a player who may hit form and make shedloads of runs ........ or you've got a coach who's presided over a rudderless entity that won the CC two years ago ............. Holden or Scott - you choose.

Did Scott drop Holden to try to start saving his career?

Looks like the p's that b decided that Scott had no idea how to turn it round.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
09 July, 2018 12:13
Adelaide. If Richard Scott had nothing to do with the follow on, early declaration decision to do neither....

Why was he on the field pretty clearly taking a leading role in the discussion with much arm waving?

Mr Kevin Hand has his reasons for not mentioning that I imagine.

James Franklin made the call allegedly...which time has proven to be the wrong call.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2018 12:16 by Seaxe_Man.

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
10 July, 2018 20:17
Richard Goatley has told the Evening Standard that Middlesex will this week advertise for Richard Scott’s successor, and that the club have given themselves three months in which to make an appointment.

The Standard speculates that Richard Johnson, Mark Ramprakash and Daniel Vettori are contenders. With regards to Ramps, I wouldn’t be adverse to him being appointed, but I know I can’t speak for all of our supporters! With regards to Vettori, he would have to either give up his role at Royal Challengers Bangalore or miss the start of the county season to become our coach in all formats, which I doubt he will be keen to do. Cricinfo yesterday produced an article saying that Vettori isn’t a particularly good coach.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net