cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Tribute to Diamond at Leicester

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Re: Richard Scott leaves
adelaide (IP Logged)
02 July, 2018 22:26
Quote:
Jack Hearne
Quote:
adelaide
There was that period under Shaun Udal when he was more or less described by Udal as the man putting out the cones. Then we had the successful years, at least in the CC, which coincided with Gus's arrival as Director of Cricket. Now we are back in the dumps again. But who exactly should get the credit/blame for what happens? Gus is seen as the driving force who got us to the title but it seems rough on Scott that he gets the blame in the bad times but not a lot of credit in the good times.
Oh, and Chris Adams is available.

Adelaide

We need to be level headed about this and draw a line between the roles of Managing Director of Cricket and Head Coach.

I like to think that I am being level headed. Lack of (or poor) recruitment is not the coach's responsibility, nor is a policy decision not to pick two very senior players. Wherever the line is drawn between the two (and it is often left vague in sport) it is certainly not obvious to me which side of the line our problems have sprung from.

Adelaide

Jack Hearne (IP Logged)
02 July, 2018 22:35
Adelaide clearly understands the distinction between the two roles. I hope that others do.

The Head Coach took his responsibility for running the team. Good luck to his successor.

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
02 July, 2018 22:56
Quote:
Jack Hearne
Adelaide clearly understands the distinction between the two roles. I hope that others do.
The Head Coach took his responsibility for running the team. Good luck to his successor.

Have gone and sat on the naughty step,as it sounds like the headmaster is telling us off!

I would of thought player recruitment is organised by the coaching staff,and club management,not one person can decide,bit like other sports where all arrivals and departures are discussed at top level first.

Still,let's wait and see what happens at the end of the season with everything.

adelaide (IP Logged)
02 July, 2018 23:30
Quote:
BeefyRoberts
Quote:
Jack Hearne

Have gone and sat on the naughty step,as it sounds like the headmaster is telling us off!

Doesn't it just. Though my headmaster at school didn't change his name as often as the stairs move at Hogwarts.

Adelaide

Darren Gosling (IP Logged)
02 July, 2018 23:44
Better late than never - he should have gone in September when we were relegated if only Goatley had the balls to make a decision....

03 July, 2018 02:24
Well things cant get any worse.
No doubt the hierarchy at Middlesex will appoint Nick Compton in the role !!!!
Its not what you know its who you know at our club.

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
03 July, 2018 07:26
Quote:
adelaide
Quote:
BeefyRoberts
Quote:
Jack Hearne

Doesn't it just. Though my headmaster at school didn't change his name as often as the stairs move at Hogwarts.

Adelaide

(Sm22)

Primrose Hillbilly (IP Logged)
03 July, 2018 08:09
Phew ..... at least the club have reacted in some way to the woeful drift that deteriorated into a full scale rush to the bottom.

Much harder to arrest such a slump and will take as long to repair as when the decline started - possibly that fateful day of not enforcing the follow on vs Essex.

The players need to find a way of winning the next game, whatever that format is. Winning creates its own momentum. Johnno's job is to get them into that mindset.

Good, talented players don't become bad ones overnight. But no matter how much talent a player has, they will not get looked at as much in a losing team than they would in a successful one. That's why the "talented" ones leave to further their ambitions, and play in a better shop window.

Johnno's got a challenge ahead of him, as he needs to get our lot winning this year to such an extent that whoever is out of contract that we want to keep decides they have a brighter future with us than anywhere else.

As reagards the T20's,...........I'm now definitely heading off to Ladbrokes !!!

03 July, 2018 13:02
Quote:
chunkyinargyll
Quote:
adelaide
Quote:
BeefyRoberts
Quote:
Jack Hearne

Adelaide

(Sm22)

Please excuse my ignorance, but does Jack Hearne have an official role at Middlesex CCC and if so, what is it?

03 July, 2018 13:17
I hadn't realised Jack Hearne looked like Freddie Mercury!

[www.espncricinfo.com]

03 July, 2018 13:56
Wasn't he Mr. Pastry on TV?

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
03 July, 2018 14:23
One thing for sure. The spin department was a poor relation during the Scott era. Joe Denly one spin asset who was ignored during his time at MX.

He has tied us in knots after returning to Kent on a couple of occasions.50 overs 2017 at Canters of fond memory.

Academy graduates likewise.

Hopefully that will now change. Spin twins. Never heard of em.

Scott's red ball cv does'nt look too bad until 2017. 50 overs and until Uncle Dan took over, T20 not too clever either.

03 July, 2018 14:48
I can't be bothered to go back to check the matches concerned, but my memory of the first 5 or 6 games last year was that they were all rain ruined draws (well over a day, sometimes much more lost) and that we were on top in those games. In one or two, they hadn't progressed far enough to know if we would have won, or if they would have been well fought draws. By the time the Essex game came around, because of the weather, retaining the championship was already looking difficult, as others had managed some positive results, whilst we had all those draws.

As far as I know it is still the captain who decides if he wants to enforce the follow on, so the Essex game must go down as a Franklin blunder, rather than a Scott blunder.

And then it was like we knew we couldn't win the championship, so settled for mid-table. Except with 2 out of 8 getting relegated settling for mid-table (because it's just destined to not be our year, because of weather related draws early on) was always dangerous, because it only need a little bad luck, and you end up 7th.

But, even so, I fully expected us to bounce straight back up again.

Seaxe_Man- whilst you are here, what was Jack Hearne like as a player?

smiling bouncing smiley

Fozzie (IP Logged)
03 July, 2018 15:18
I haven't checked the matches either, Chunky, but I think your memory is a bit faulty. The opening match away st Hants wasn't rain-ruined - we had to bat the whole of the last day to save the match. The Essex game was the opening home fixture, and th st was beautiful weather for the first 3 days, which we dominated. Rain denied us on the last day, though of course that was essentially our fault. It was clearly an opportunity wasted, though there certainly wasn't the feeling that we had blown it for the season. Despite the tactical error we were looking very strong.

We then had a couple of high-scoring draws, followed by an awful defeat at Lancs, an equally convincing win over Yorkshire and the day-night defeat at Chelmsford (ok, I have now checked). Very inconsistent, but not much in the way of rain-affected matches. Maybe it was different in Argyll?

Haringey Racer (IP Logged)
03 July, 2018 15:28
That Essex gane was another where we couldn't break a lower order partnership: not great in terms of runs but Harmer and Wagner held out for 15 overs for the 8th wicket. Irrespective of the follow-on we had plenty of time to force the win before the rain came.

03 July, 2018 15:35
Fozzie-

You're right.

The Essex game came much earlier than I remembered it, so at the time I suppose it didn't seem like a big deal.

There was definitely one year in the not too distant past when everything was drawn because of weather, but having had a look back at the scores, it wasn't last year.

Jack Hearne (IP Logged)
03 July, 2018 18:36
Quote:
chunkyinargyll
Fozzie-
You're right.

The Essex game came much earlier than I remembered it, so at the time I suppose it didn't seem like a big deal.

There was definitely one year in the not too distant past when everything was drawn because of weather, but having had a look back at the scores, it wasn't last year.

The recent season that you are trying to recall was the beginning of 2016. Voges bucked the trend with a fine victory of Hampshire. There were three centurions including Simpson and Voges.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2018 22:41 by Jack Hearne.

Fozzie (IP Logged)
03 July, 2018 21:12
Quote:
Jack Hearne
Quote:
chunkyinargyll
Fozzie-
You're right.

The recent season that you are trying to recall was the beginning of 2017. Voges bucked the trend with a fine victory of Hampshire. There were three centurions including Simpson and Voges.

That was 2016 at OMT, surely - the first win in our Championship season.

03 July, 2018 21:18
Yes.

2016. First 6 games drawn (just checked) Don't know how on earth I merged that in to the 2017 season by mistake.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
06 July, 2018 13:30
Chunky. Jack Hearne. Young Jack or old Jack. They were cousins. One from Bucks and the other from West Drayton.

JT Hearne (Old Jack) was the first, an excellent bowler who did sterling work for the middle way back in the late 19th and early 20th century from the the top of my head.

JW Hearne was more the all rounder who scored one Test century. He suffered from ill -health throughout his lengthy career and died in his home town of West Drayton in 1965.

I think also that JW Hearne had 96(71 for MX) career centuries. I think without referencing.

Both men are MX Legends. JT is second to Titmus in the wicket taking stakes. JW third. Just checked.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net