cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

RIP JT Murray Middlesex legend

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Essex v Middlesex 20/20 thingy
BarmierKev (IP Logged)
06 July, 2018 11:07
Football's coming to the home of Essex. Despite, our win yesterday I feel we need to up our game to get anything out of this.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2018 08:57 by BarmierKev.

Re: Essex v Middlesex 20/20 thingy
Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
06 July, 2018 12:13
Certainly Stirlo will need batting support.

On last night's evidence JK Fuller should bat in front of Champion Dwayne.

Jack Hearne (IP Logged)
06 July, 2018 12:34
The Middlesex coach Daniel Vettori has announced a 13-man t20 squad versus Essex at Chelmsford. They

Malan has been called up to the England It20 squad since the club's original statement. Eskinazi has been appointed acting captain.

Bravo, Cartwright, Eskinazi (c), Fuller, Gubbins, Harris, Helm, Holden, Patel, Scott, Simpson (wk), Sowter, Stirling.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2018 18:50 by Jack Hearne.

Lifer (IP Logged)
06 July, 2018 12:35
Not really. Stupid shot but Bravo has a tradition of making his first scoring shot for a new franchise a 6.
McCullum did this at Merchant Taylors in his first outing for us.

Apologies - his first scoring shot was a single so he had no excuse! I was there and forgot!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2018 12:41 by Lifer.

Fozzie (IP Logged)
06 July, 2018 15:09
Quote:
Jack Hearne
The Middlesex coach Daniel Vettori has announced an unchanged 13-man t20 squad versus Essex at Chelmsford:
Bravo, Cartwright, Eskinazi, Fuller, Gubbins, Harris, Helm, Malan (c), Patel, Scott, Simpson (wk), Sowter, Stirling.

I thought that Malan was due to return to the England set-up, so was surprised to see him named in the Middlesex squad for tonight. So, it would seem, was Mala himself, who tweeted that he couldn't be in two places at one time. A revised 12 man squad list has been issued, with no indication of who will be captain tonight.

Doesn't really bode well...

Rocks&Boulders (IP Logged)
06 July, 2018 17:30
Won the toss and batting first.

Jack Hearne (IP Logged)
06 July, 2018 17:38
Eskinazi will captain Middlesex at Chelmsford tonight with the debutant Holden replacing Malan:

Stirling, Holden, Gubbins, Eskinazi (c), Simpson (w), Bravo, Cartwright, Fuller, Helm, Sowter, Patel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2018 18:45 by Jack Hearne.

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
06 July, 2018 18:04
I doubt anyone foresaw Stevie Eskinazi captaining Middlesex in this match. Clearly he is identified as having great leadership and match-reading skills. Congratulations to him on this honour.

I am glad to see Max Holden included despite not being named in the initial squad. As much as I like George Scott, surely Holden is more of a like-for-like replacement for Dawid Malan than Scott. During Surrey’s innings yesterday, I thought to myself that someone like Holden or Scott should have played instead of Hilton Cartwright, as Cartwright didn’t bowl, so felt like a wasted selection. Thankfully Cartwright justified his selection with his batting, so hopefully tonight he will once again find a way to make a great contribution. If Holden performs well tonight, then hopefully this won’t be his only Twenty20 appearance this season.

I can’t work out where Dawid Malan stands with England, as he wasn’t in the squad for their second and third Twenty20 internationals v India the last time I looked at the squad, yet there he is carrying the drinks at Sophia Gardens tonight, with there being expectation that he will be at Gloucestershire’s Bristol headquarters for the third Twenty20 international on Sunday rather than playing Glos at Uxbridge that day.

We have eight bowling options, but hopefully all of our main bowlers will do well to thus negate the need to look beyond our main bowlers.

With Paul Stirling out, we will need our next few batsmen to bat a lot better than they did last night.

06 July, 2018 19:24
179-6 feels like a decent total, although we will have to see whether Middlesex can defend it. It was very helpful that Stevie Eskinazi and John Simpson shared 92 off 55 for the fourth wicket, before they typically both fell in the space of three balls.

I was disappointed when I heard that we had retained the services of Hilton Cartwright for our first three matches, and I have not changed my mind, as his innings yesterday and the fact he scored 27 not out off 18 (including 18 of the first four balls of the final over) tonight leaves me wishing he was available for our whole Twenty20 campaign.

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
06 July, 2018 20:02
Don Topley- 'Having 18 teams dilutes the playing ability'

Yes, Mr Topley- and having 18 commentators dilutes the commentating standard as well.

06 July, 2018 20:18
Despite Varun Chopra having scored little more than a run a ball and Ravi Bopara having just come in, the Essex commentators feel confident that the hosts will win, although Chopra has just been stumped. Their cause has been helped by Adam Wheater having scored 45 off 18 and them still having seven wickets in hand. However, if Middlesex can keep boundaries to a minimum and take a few more wickets, our chances of winning will be nowhere near dead.

06 July, 2018 20:51
I imagine that Dwayne Bravo will get much of the blame for this defeat considering his 3.5 overs went for 53 runs, while the 9 balls he faced yielded just 6 runs. However, the commentators felt he was slightly unlucky, especially as he had an early catch dropped. He made a decent fist of defending 8 off the final over, taking it to the penultimate ball. Maybe James Fuller should have been brought on for the penultimate over to enable Tom Helm to have bowled the final over. Maybe Paul Stirling should have bowled some overs after his three wickets last night, especially as Nathan Sowter and Ravi Patel both went at an economy less than the rate required.

06 July, 2018 22:01
Yet again: Stirling was out cheaply and we lost.

06 July, 2018 22:52

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
07 July, 2018 07:23
John Simpson was Steven Finn's vice captain in the 50 over comp, but it looks like Stevie Eskinazi is Dawid Malan's vice captain in T20 (and Sam Robson vice captain in championship),

A bit like 'pass the parcel' it is difficult to keep up.

I don't think Eski has his county cap yet. If he does, I don't recall an announcement, so, overseas stars apart, when was the last time an uncapped player captained Middlesex?

As to the game itself- at least we were competitive, but the usual rules apply- If Stirlo does well, we win, and if he doesn't, we don't.

Shouldn't be down to just one person though.

Beeamazed (IP Logged)
07 July, 2018 07:48
Without wishing to start a witch hunt,our latest expensive "Gun" player
is a third of the way through his contract and has done not a lot.
We don't seem to get it right very often..😞

07 July, 2018 09:10
So far, Dwayne Bravo’s performances have been:

v Surrey: batting: 1 off 2; runs conceded off each over bowled: 13 off 4th, 5 off 13th, 4 off 18th and 4 off 20th.
v Essex: batting: 6 off 9; runs conceded off each over bowled: 17 off 4th, 13 off 16th, 14 off 18th and 9 off five balls in the 20th.

With the bat, he hasn’t done much. With the ball, he did well v Surrey after the first over he bowled, but last night didn’t go well. I imagine that the decision to sign him was as much influenced by a desire to attract people to matches as it was to hopefully boost Middlesex’s performances. I don’t know whether Stevie Eskinazi felt under any obligation to give Bravo his full allocation of overs. Last night on commentary, Kevin Hand said that we surely had to continue with Bravo at the death due to his experience. No bowler has a divine right to bowl their full allocation, as James Fuller has only bowled 2 and 3 overs respectively in our two matches, while Ravi Patel only bowled 2 overs v Surrey.

Hopefully Bravo will leave our supporters with some good memories before he leaves.

adelaide (IP Logged)
07 July, 2018 11:00
And Stirling didn't bowl at all, not that I'd propose him as death bowler. Hoses for courses, perhaps but I'm not sure why the course was so different. Perhaps Eski just doesn't like him!

Adelaide

Westrock (IP Logged)
07 July, 2018 11:06
Quote:
adelaide
And Stirling didn't bowl at all, not that I'd propose him as death bowler. Hoses for courses, perhaps but I'm not sure why the course was so different. Perhaps Eski just doesn't like him!

Adelaide

Maybe there’s a hosepipe ban due to the weather!

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
07 July, 2018 11:30
Quote:
chunkyinargyll
Don Topley- 'Having 18 teams dilutes the playing ability'
Yes, Mr Topley- and having 18 commentators dilutes the commentating standard as well.

Spot on chunky. Topley singing from th Graves/Atherton/Sky songsheet.

Any dilution is due to the ECB removing players for their purposes not the counties.

Despite the Graves/Topley mediocrity. Crowds for The Blast are very unlikely to be bettered by Harrison's new audience for his mish mash.

And as Lords was near capacity on Thursday night - to get more in - have to sit on each other laps. Drinks all over the place.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net