cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Tribute to Diamond at Leicester

Members Consultation.
BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
09 July, 2018 20:27
Who has received the Members Consultation in the post?
Having only just seen it,will need a thoroughly good read to see what is going on.

Re: Members Consultation.
adelaide (IP Logged)
09 July, 2018 21:24
On a quick read it sounds like if you don't organise a certain way you're probably ruled out from certain sources of funding (not just ECcool smiley. There's quite a bit in there about better reflecting the make up of the area and indeed of the cricket-playing community. Or to put it another way, about time "gammon" stopped re-electing itself!

Adelaide

Edited - how do I stop the initials of the governing body coming out as EC followed by a honey bee?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2018 10:33 by adelaide.

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
09 July, 2018 21:25
It seems that the main purpose of this consultation is to make suggestions about the governance of cricket within Middlesex, with a members' forum taking place on Thursday 30th August for further questions to be asked on this subject.

The proposals sound like a good idea, as it would only be a good thing if more funding could be received for cricket projects within the county and if there could be more diversity around the club. However, I don’t think I will respond to the consultation, which is not due to having a lack of interest in the subject, but because I don’t feel that I have much to say which will be of interest to the club.

It wouldn’t surprise me if most of our members reacted to hearing about the consultation by thinking to themselves that they are more concerned about the 1st XI’s so-far unsatisfactory season, and unless we enter 30th August on the back of an upturn in our County Championship results and/or preparing for Twenty20 finals day, it wouldn't surprise me if those attending the forum are more interested in talking about cricket than the governance of the club.

Jack Hearne (IP Logged)
10 July, 2018 19:50
Quote:
BeefyRoberts
Who has received the Members Consultation in the post?
Having only just seen it,will need a thoroughly good read to see what is going on.

Thank you, Beefy. Yes, I have received this. We are all encouraged to have our say. Perhaps some of our ideas may see the light of day.

The ECB, Sport England and the National Lottery Fund are very particular how they distribute their funds.

Some of the ideas sound better than others. There promises to be a mix of appointed and elected directors - some independent, non-independent and cricket-related. It is proposed that we will be able to elect three (instead of six) board directors.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
13 July, 2018 12:46
The proposal to give MCB Clubs two board seats is no bad idea. They support us and giving them a say is justified.

Down to three elected members voted for by MX members. I would like to see that being clarified as to 'not wearing' two hats but just one'.

Always tricky wearing two hats.

The money question, grants etc, very important to a Club who financially struggle to keep itself in the black on a regular basis. Deals not driven hard enough.

Darren Gosling (IP Logged)
19 July, 2018 22:43
Unfortunately this has come about a decade too late.

Too many Middx Committee members also wearing MCC ties has meant the conflict of interests have gone heavily in the MCC's favour.
In the 9 years Phil Edmonds was Chairman we made a profit EVERY season, with the total profit for this period £1.7m.
In the decade since Edmonds' departure we have rarely made a profit with the total losses for this period totaling £750,000.

Yet this period includes the so-called boom years of sell out T20 matches at Lords.
Gross profit on alcohol sales alone would clear half a million per T20 match and there are 5 at Lords this season.
Ironic considering the first two seasons of T20 the MCC turned their red and yellow noses up at the competition and refused us to play any T20 matches at Lords.

Having later realised what a cash cow T20 was they now of course can't get enough of it - with a francaise to follow of course at Lords. So how come Middx continue to make a loss from the wonderful deal with have with the MCC.
Because we have been royally screwed over that's why.

Another point that should be highlighted is that in 1999 the MCC overnight took away the advertising revenue for OUR matches at Lords. Looking at this revenue stream in the 10 years before it was taken away - the amount would have seen us break even for the last decade had we still had it.
Yet another massive failing on the Middx committee, Phil Edmonds was livid at the time but seemed to be the only one to voice his disapproval.

However they want to re-structure the committee moving forward I feel it is all too late now. The advent of the London based franchaise does I'm afraid all but spell the end of Middx at Lords and along with it our major sponsors who won't be sponsoring us once we are predominantly playing at outgrounds only.

The Middx committees of yesteryear have already done irreparable damage and no amount of restrucring is going to put right years of weak leadership and poor decison making.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
20 July, 2018 12:01
The ethnicity and gender requirement plus two seats for the MCB, the unintended circumstances of which, may bring about the balance in the Board which is sorely needed Darren.

The 200grand agreement, which is too one sided is one example.

And the November 1999 meeting with Phil Edmonds over the cancellation of our revenue share of advertising I well remember.

The author of that coup de grace was a certain A.R.Lewis of Glamorgan who was looking round for some cash to set up the MCC website.

As you say, PH Edmonds was incandescent with rage. And as you say, a big reason for MX being in the red since then on most occasions..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net