cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

RIP JT Murray Middlesex legend

Women playing in men's teams
chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
05 August, 2018 07:18
We haven't got a Middlesex County League thread this year (lack of interest?) but I do check out the scores on a Sunday morning.

A shout out for Emma Albery, who opened the batting for Finchley, and made 25.

We are talking Division one of the league here, so the same level our fringe players play at the weekend.

I think Sarah Taylor might have played a couple of games for Sussex 2nd XI at some point, but getting to open the batting in the league is still quite an achievement.

It's interesting from the point of view of wondering how good the women are. Emma isn't in the England frame (yet) so that must mean all the England women would do well in top class Saturday league cricket.

[www.middlesexccl.com]

Re: Women playing in men's teams
Surbiton crusader2 (IP Logged)
05 August, 2018 09:34
I beĺieve Bryony Smiith is on Addiscombes books. Saw Rhianna Southby play for Sunbury squires team at Ripley six years ago

SC2

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
05 August, 2018 12:13
I'm indebted to someone who has sent me an alternative scorecard that suggests the one I linked to might be an error.

This one has Majid Ali opening the batting (which I guess is much more likely to be correct)

[middlesexccl.play-cricket.com]

Still, the card I linked to is the one from the official Middlesex County League site.

Looks like I was wrong!

Sussex Seaxe (IP Logged)
05 August, 2018 19:06
I think it is great when women play in men's sides if they are of the right standard. I played against Caroline Atkins in the past and she was a lot better than my (admittedly fairly weak) side, on a Sunday afternoon.

I always recall with amusement the occasion when Stefan Piolet, who went on to play for Warwickshire and Sussex, was caught by a girl at mid on, off the bowling of an extremely ordinary slow left armer in an under 15 game I was umpiring. Piolet was unamused and the boys in our team were amazed; the girl went up in everyone's estimation!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net