cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

RIP JT Murray Middlesex legend

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Re: Where are our Popes, our Currans, our Virdis
07 August, 2018 23:46
[quote Seaxe_Man][quote Lifer][quote Bring back the Crusaders]Surrey seem to get their priorities in order - starting with overseas players.
They shop in Harrods and we shop in the £ shop[/quote]

That's because they own their ground, stage test matches and are the richest county in cricket.

Bet they do not have any players on contracts who are exempt from playing despite all their riches!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2018 23:48 by Bring back the Crusaders.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
08 August, 2018 13:26
Quote:
adelaide
Toby Radford took over at some time during the 2007 season (when Pybus left) and resigned in the middle of the 2009 season at a time when were bottom of CC2 (and had finished bottom of our T20 group). He resigned because a restructure (the one that brought Gus in?) had downgraded his job description.
So he had two years, albeit just one full season. It would be unfair to blame him for the mid-2009 position, given that the wider issues which led him to resign may also have influenced the performance of the team but cack seems a fair description of the position at the time. It is interesting that we went from hero to zero in T20 with the same coach, rather like we have in the CC under Scott, but maybe that is the nature of the T20 game.

I didn't think I needed to mention the 2017 relegation, as it is so fresh in our minds. People presumably didn't mention the 2016 CC for similar reasons but it does seem unfair to (in effect) say he played little part when we very very good but was to blame when we were very very bad.

I'd also query whether it is cackier to be relegated or to finish close to bottom of the table after relegation, though admittedly (unlike 2017) there was nothing remotely marginal or unlucky about 2006.

Whether it was down to Radford, to the weakness of the squad or to internal issues, it wasn't great under his tenure. It seemed to me there was a bit of rewriting of history going on, with his record being played up and Scott's played down. I think that sort of thing should left to the White House!

Adelaide

Dug out the Year Books on this period of turbulent Middlesex CCC history, Years 2007 to 2010.

These record the following:

2007 Director of Cricket JE Emburey Academy Director T. Radford

Not mentioned for obvious reasons was that Richard Pybus was the initial Head Coach but not listed.

As we know he quit mid season because as stated he had no Lords Office. Plus a remark that his wife did not like shopping in London I seem to remember.

We finished 3rd in Division 2 with Radford taking over the reins from Pybus.

2008 Head Coach T A Radford and Richard Scott appears as 2nd Xi coach.

In the Championship 2nd Division, we again finish 3rd. Plus for the one and only time T20 Champions.

2009 ARC Fraser is listed as Director of Cricket. R J Scott as Head coach.

As we know Radford resigned in July due to perception (correctly) that his job had been downgraded. (constructive dismissal?)

This was the year of the restructuring and a new hierarchy. True to form it was out with the old in with the new.

In his notes Vinny said he regretted his decision after working six hard years at the Middle. VC also added the dressing room was not a happy place in 2009. Given some of the personalities, unsurprising.

At any rate we finished 8th in Division 2.

2010 RJ Scott Head Coach we finished 8th again in Division 2.

In summarising, Radford's one and half seasons brought two 3rd places in the CC, so, not to cacky.

And no, I don't see that any of the above is connected to not fancying vassal status.

Just the good old Middle at work.

That is my case for the Defence M'Lud.

Seaxe Boy (IP Logged)
08 August, 2018 14:11
I agree with Seaxe Man. As I recall, there was a restructuring following the relegation in 2006. John Emburey briefly became Director of Cricket with the English-born Richard Pybus appointed as the 1st XI coach. Ed Smith was also appointed captain.

Following the changes, Toby Radford was promoted to Head Coach with Richard Scott brought in from Dorset (where he had been Director of Cricket) replacing Jason Pooley as Assistant Coach.

Prior to the Executive Board replacing the General Committee in 2010, the role of Managing Director of Cricket was created in 2009. Angus Fraser was appointed from a reputed shortlist of four.

WayOutWest (IP Logged)
09 August, 2018 09:54
JW makes an interesting point about Middlesex providing most players for the England U 19 squad. However, it depends on who takes credit for the players as both Jack Davies and Ethan Bamber started at Berkshire age group and still play for the all conquering minor counties side.

In addition Tom Scriven started with Berkshire in age group cricket and Euan Woods is most definitly a Berkshire youth product. So perhaps a minor county can rightfully claim to have provided the most players.

Berkshires link with MCCC is the best chance of Middlesex getting back to the top table in my biased view. As an aside the Berkshire 2nds take on Gloucestershire 2nds today and have a certain Dalrymple in the line up. No idea if this is a son of Jamie or indeed, Jamie himself.

Seaxe_man1 (IP Logged)
15 January, 2019 15:03
Quote:
adelaide
Toby Radford took over at some time during the 2007 season (when Pybus left) and resigned in the middle of the 2009 season at a time when were bottom of CC2 (and had finished bottom of our T20 group). He resigned because a restructure (the one that brought Gus in?) had downgraded his job description.
So he had two years, albeit just one full season. It would be unfair to blame him for the mid-2009 position, given that the wider issues which led him to resign may also have influenced the performance of the team but cack seems a fair description of the position at the time. It is interesting that we went from hero to zero in T20 with the same coach, rather like we have in the CC under Scott, but maybe that is the nature of the T20 game.

I didn't think I needed to mention the 2017 relegation, as it is so fresh in our minds. People presumably didn't mention the 2016 CC for similar reasons but it does seem unfair to (in effect) say he played little part when we very very good but was to blame when we were very very bad.

I'd also query whether it is cackier to be relegated or to finish close to bottom of the table after relegation, though admittedly (unlike 2017) there was nothing remotely marginal or unlucky about 2006.

Whether it was down to Radford, to the weakness of the squad or to internal issues, it wasn't great under his tenure. It seemed to me there was a bit of rewriting of history going on, with his record being played up and Scott's played down. I think that sort of thing should left to the White House!

Adelaide

Or maybe people like Soubry who has Trump like qualities and the duffer who was Attorney General.

Scott had two good red ball seasons 2011 and 2016. Some being harsh might say, in spite of, rather than because of.

2016 one of those unfathomable seasons when the players all clicked together.

Plus that is out of ten seasons, so 20%. Not great. On the white ball front a big fat 0%

Primrose Hillbilly (IP Logged)
21 January, 2019 13:48
To revert to the original point, I hope that our new DOC will apply the maxim of "if you're good enough, you're old enough".

Did we chicken out by letting Max Holden go to Northants, so we could run the rule over him from afar?

Reducing the number of matches in the CC, as well as the number of limited over competitions, was meant to encourage players to recognise that they had to make the most of these limited opportunities, so someone who came through from the Second's, and then gutted it out and made runs against e.g. Yorkshire was really worth taking note of.

However, may I suggest that there might be something to be learned from the culture in the Mexicans, (of which a bit has been written over the last 12 months,) that both nurtures the Popes, Currans and Virdis, and creates .....something .... that makes it easier for them to succeed at first team level, because these guys make the most of their limited opportunities, and thrive.

So, "if you're good enough, we will pick you, but we will also create the support network to maximise your chances of success", might be a good - albeit lengthy - mantra for the future.

The second bit might take a bit longer to establish, but would pay a lot of long term dividends.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net