cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

RIP JT Murray Middlesex legend

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Middlesex versus Essex at Lord's (Vitality t20 Blast - 16th August)
Seaxe Boy (IP Logged)
13 August, 2018 11:15
Middlesex participate in their penultimate group match.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 18/08/2018 10:43 by London Leprechaun.

Re: Middlesex versus Essex at Lord's (Vitality t20 Blast - 16th August)
Fozzie (IP Logged)
13 August, 2018 11:41
We remain optimistic (Sm105)

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
13 August, 2018 13:34
Thanks for that posting full of incredible information.
Optimistim is at it highest now,as we have our last home t20 of the season.
My 3rd rest day,so will be poping along for my 2nd t20 of the season.
Who knows,might go out with a bang!

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
13 August, 2018 14:16
Our thoughts are with the players, the Middlesex coaching staff, and in particular Dan Vettori.

We must hope they can produce a consolation win against a team who are almost as bad as us.

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
13 August, 2018 20:15
I am confident that Middlesex’s players and officials will have a strong desire to avoid finishing bottom of the south group. Despite winning only 2 of our 12 matches, that is actually better than Essex and Hampshire from our group and Northamptonshire from the north group, all of whom have recorded just 1 win. However, Essex and Hampshire sit above us, as they have recorded 3 and 2 no-results respectively, whereas we have barely seen any overs lost to the weather, let alone seen any of our matches washed-out. For the purposes of our hopes of avoiding finishing bottom, this is a truly massive match, as a defeat would surely consign us to the bottom spot, but a win could result in Essex or Hampshire finishing there, depending on what happens in Friday’s final round of matches. I can’t believe Sky have decided they would prefer to televise Kent v Somerset on Thursday rather than this one!

The fact our line-up for a 2nd XI friendly v Hampshire on the Rose Bowl Nursery Ground includes Max Holden, Martin Andersson, John Simpson, Ollie Rayner and Steven Finn suggests that they won’t play on Thursday, unless they get substituted out of the 2nd XI match, which is possible considering the status of the match probably affords the teams to make the rules up as they go along. Hopefully Robbie White will play on Thursday, whether that be as just a batsman or as a wicket-keeper. Nathan Sowter may return, as he was part of our warm-ups at Beckenham yesterday despite not being named in the squad.

Lower Mound says that he will make sure he meets the dress code required to sit in the Upper Tavern, so hopefully that will prevent the problems of two weeks’ ago. We have still not received a reply from the club on the issue. I am confused about where members are expected to sit if they prefer to wear casual clothes, as they can’t simply sit in a non-members’ area, as these areas are reserved for people who have purchased a ticket just for the individual match. It seems that members who don’t meet the dress code must sit in the Lower Compton, which is not a great reward for being a member.

Seaxe Boy (IP Logged)
13 August, 2018 21:19
With a note of optimism, we may yet avoid our least successful season since the t20 Cup began in 2003:

2011 P.16 W.2 L.12 NR.1 Tie.1
2014 P.14 W.2 L.11 NR.1
2018 P.12 W.2 L.10 (with 2 to play)

15 August, 2018 15:46
Predictable squad of 14 named-

Malan, Barber, Eskinazi, Finn, Franklin, Fuller, Harris, Morgan, Patel, Scott, Simpson, Sowter, Stirling, White.

A hundred for Martin Andersson in the 2's today, but it will take more than that to get Franklin out of the side.

15 August, 2018 19:26
Once again, I looked at the Middlesex squad hoping to see some interesting inclusions or omissions to freshen things up. Once again, I have been disappointed.

Everyone who played v Kent at Beckenham is included in our squad, alongside Robbie White, Steven Finn and Nathan Sowter. If any of that trio play tomorrow night, it will be interesting to see who makes way. The chances of White reclaiming the wicket-keeping gloves from John Simpson may have been reduced by Simmo scoring 85 retired not out* in the 2nd XI friendly v Hampshire, although I would prefer it if the club decided to rest Simmo until the resumption of our County Championship campaign on Sunday, and select White for our final two Twenty20 matches. If Finn plays, it would probably come at the expense of either Tom Barber or James Harris, as it would weaken our batting if we leave out James Fuller. Harris recovered from conceding three boundaries off his first three balls at Beckenham to take 3-20 in his remaining 3.3 overs, although the club may prefer to keep him fresh for Sunday. Barber is hopefully one for the future, so it would be nice if he could remain in the side. If Sowter plays, hopefully it won’t be at the expense of Ravi Patel.

Essex have named a 13-man squad for this match consiting of Ryan ten Doeschate (27) (C), Adam Wheater (31) (WK), Ravi Bopara (25), Varun Chopra (6), Matt Coles (1), Sam Cook (16), Simon Harmer (11), Dan Lawrence (28), Aron Nijjar (24), Peter Siddle (64), Shane Snater (29), Paul Walter (22) and Ashar Zaidi (99).

* Simmo participated in the first two days before being substituted out, and was 85 not out at the close of day two. However, the Total Cricket Scorer card has recorded his innings as ‘absent’.

15 August, 2018 21:34
Why on earth would Harris need to be kept "fresh" for Sunday? It's only Thursday tomorrow and he can only bowl 4 overs.
Ludicrous. How many days of first team cricket has Harris played in the last month?

15 August, 2018 23:21
It is difficult to second-guess which players Middlesex see as needing a rest, and which players they are happy to select for all formats.

I had a more thoughtful reply to the above post, but it failed to post when my connection reset.

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
16 August, 2018 12:03
Still got rain lobbing it down in Uxbridge,but forecast looks much better for the evening,with how good the drainage is at Lord's,can't see a problem getting the game on.
With team selection,and a much more important county game starting Sunday (check my travel comment if going by train on Sunday),if players are dropped/rested and do play the county game,doesn't really matter for this one.
Still like to see a win for our last game at Lord's in this year's t20 competition!

16 August, 2018 13:00
If this rain continues I think all the players will be getting 'a rest'
One point for a NR still leaves us at the bottom of the table and will probably mean Sussex will have to beat us in the last game to stand any chance of qualifying.

16 August, 2018 17:55
Essex won toss, and elected to bowl first.

Congratulations to James Franklin for keeping his place in a losing side.

Simpson keeps wicket, so no White. Sowter returns, so no Patel.

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
16 August, 2018 18:37
Sat in tavern stand,and must be shortest boundary I have see for many a year.
Stirlo looking on fire

16 August, 2018 18:50
On the commentary just now-

Middlesex spent today interviewing candidates for Head coach job.

A couple of them said to be 'high profile' (well, we already know one is Andy Flower).

tbl (IP Logged)
16 August, 2018 19:52
As we are out of this competition why are we not playing a few youngsters? What is the point of playing all our experienced players?

Old Enfield Colt (IP Logged)
16 August, 2018 20:16
Quote:
tbl
As we are out of this competition why are we not playing a few youngsters? What is the point of playing all our experienced players?

Point made by Kevin Hand on the radio, nobody likely to start @ Northampton on Sunday should probably play tomorrow @ Hove ? Does this destroy the integrity of the T 20 Comp ( who cares about the integrity of the T 20 ? ).

16 August, 2018 20:19
I wonder if Kevin Hand knows something?

Although he did suggest a lack of knowledge about our 2's when he had Andersson down to bat at 11 in his alternative side for tomorrow.

Old Enfield Colt (IP Logged)
16 August, 2018 20:25
Quote:
chunkyinargyll
On the commentary just now-
Middlesex spent today interviewing candidates for Head coach job.

A couple of them said to be 'high profile'.

Based on the commentary, surely Don Topley must be in the running ?

[ ** Only Joking ** ]

16 August, 2018 20:30
Topley does my head in.

Ar least after tonight I won't have to listen to him again until next season.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net