Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Let the 2019 season begin

Tom Lace goes on loan to Derbyshire
Discussion started by chunkyinargyll , 28 August, 2018 13:32
Tom Lace goes on loan to Derbyshire
chunkyinargyll 28 August, 2018 13:32
[www.middlesexccc.com]

A bit of a surprise.

I didn't see that coming, but good luck to him if he can make his championship debut for them.

Re: Tom Lace goes on loan to Derbyshire
BarmierKev 28 August, 2018 14:50
Godleman comes out to bat and from Tom “Billy don’t be a Hero”

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

chunkyinargyll 28 August, 2018 15:04
Oh yes- Paper Lace.

Jonathan Winsky 28 August, 2018 20:08
I am surprised about this, as I didn’t anticipate Tom Lace’s professional debut coming any time soon, whether that be for Middlesex or elsewhere. Someone at Derbyshire must have seen or heard something good about him in order for him to have got onto their radar. Lower Mound has seen Lace in our 2nd XI, and he rates him and James Cracknell highly. Lower Mound often tells me that Lace and/or Cracknell should have been given a chance during our Twenty20 campaign.

Hopefully this loan will stand Lace in good stead to push for selection into our 1st XI next season, especially as we presently find ourselves short on batting options. Then again, a successful loan could also result in Derbyshire or another county taking an interest in Lace, in which case he would have to decide whether his future is best-served at Middlesex or elsewhere.

It appears that we don’t see Derbyshire as our rivals in the race for promotion, as we would have surely not done this deal otherwise. If Lace plays v 3rd-placed Kent at Derby in the match starting tomorrow, we will be hoping he can help Derbyshire win. I don’t know whether he will be allowed to play when Middlesex play Derbyshire at Lord’s in three weeks’ time, or whether it has been agreed that he can’t play. Unlike in football, I don’t think loan players are considered ineligible to play against their parent club, unless the two clubs enter into such an agreement.

Lifer 28 August, 2018 21:03
We don't have a shortage of batsmen. We have a shortage of fit fast bowlers. Murts with Ireland Helm, TRJ unfit Finn not really reliably fit.

All the best to Tom

Jonathan Winsky 28 August, 2018 23:26
What I meant by Middlesex being short of batting options is that we will enter tomorrow's match v Sussex at Lord’s unable to make many changes to the batting line-up which played v Northamptonshire at Wantage Road, which is far from ideal considering some people would like to see Eoin Morgan left out. Unless Martin Andersson is given a County Championship debut or we play an extra bowler, we will field the same batting line-up for the second match running. The reason why we find ourselves in this position (despite entering the season appearing to have strength in depth) is because Paul Stirling is away with Ireland, George Scott is not fully fit (but is able to play as a batsman for the 2nd XI), Robbie White is now playing instead of John Simpson rather than alongside him, and Nick Compton and James Franklin appear to no longer be in our plans.

So, unless there is an incoming or two in our batting department this winter, it wouldn't take much for Tom Lace to be involved in our 1st XI in 2019.

chunkyinargyll 29 August, 2018 10:45
Tom Lace makes his debut today, but Kent are batting first.

Bring back the Crusaders 30 August, 2018 09:30
Agreed we don't have a shortage of batsmen we just have a shortage of batsmen who can score runs!!

Old Enfield Colt 30 August, 2018 15:54
Quote:
chunkyinargyll
Tom Lace makes his debut today, but Kent are batting first.

Opening with Billy Godleman, scored 40 off 64 balls before being LBW to Ivan Thomas. Great effort, but seems to be an extremely batsman friendly pitch.

chunkyinargyll 01 September, 2018 11:59
Tom Lace had a decent first class debut, making 40 in the first innings, and 43 in the second.

chunkyinargyll 30 November, 2018 16:21
Loan extended for all of 2019, although he won't play in games against us, and we can recall him if there is an injury crisis (or any other sort of crisis!)

[www.middlesexccc.com]

Jonathan Winsky 30 November, 2018 19:14
This move is good news for Middlesex, Derbyshire and Tom Lace, as a full season of playing 1st XI cricket (assuming he plays most of Derbyshire’s matches) will benefit Lace more than a season in our 2nd XI.

Hopefully this loan will go as well as Max Holden’s loan at Northamptonshire in 2017, something which increased the experience with which Holden entered the following season at Middlesex.

chunkyinargyll 13 June, 2019 14:49
A bump for this thread to congratulate Tom Lace on his maiden championship hundred (all be it for Derbyshire against Glamorgan)

So far shared in a 200+ partnership with old boy Billy Godleman (who also has a hundred).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net