cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

RIP JT Murray Middlesex legend

Mike Brearley book 'On form' for Diamond
BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
11 September, 2018 18:58
Folks,
As you are probably aware,we have a sponsored player this year in memory of our great friend Diamond.
The player is Martin Andersson,not a bad start to his promising career at the Middle,and I'm sure Diamond would agree with us there.
So,at the players sponsor party,we were lucky enough to win a prize.
The prize is a signed copy of the Mike Brearley book titled 'On Form'
We are going to have an auction of the said book,and monies raised will be passed to Diamonds daughter,Elle,to put to the charity of her choice in memory of our friend.
Going to start the bidding at the book cover price of £20.
Postage will be free,as I will pay that myself.

Length to run this? Don't really want it to drag on,so cut off date October 6th,day before the forum.

Thanks to anyone who would like to place a bid.

Beefy

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2018 16:05 by BarmierKev.

Re: Mike Brearley book 'On form' for Diamond
BarmierKev (IP Logged)
11 September, 2018 21:15
£30 from me.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Fozzie (IP Logged)
12 September, 2018 08:01
I was saying yesterday that Diamond would have had some choice words to say about this season, but one thing that I'm sure would have pleased him is sponsoring Martin Andersson.

Great prose to win, and an excellent idea. I bid £35.

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 10:44
This now main focus.

Ok £40. Must remember not to bid against myself

Barmy Kev

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 11:27
The book is in a cupboard,not been opened to any page at all and in prime condition.
Will up the bid to £45.

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 12:45
Just like to add a piece more,had a private message from one of our posters who has kindly offered to donate a banknote towards the book without entering the auction..Thank you.

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
27 September, 2018 08:08
Amazing what a win does. £50 from me

Lab Rat (IP Logged)
28 September, 2018 22:49
Great idea. I'm afraid I won't put in a bid as I recently bought a copy of this book for a friend. Have any of you read it, and can give me a brief opinion / review of the book?

Primrose Hillbilly (IP Logged)
04 October, 2018 08:09
Lab Rat,

I have had a copy of this waiting to be completed for over a year now.

I keep on picking it up and thinking .....hmmmm ....I'm going to have to come back to that chapter when I'm feeling a bit brighter, after about 15 minutes with it.

There is one chapter, "Seeing The Wood and The Trees", where JMB examines how actors might get themselves into their "groove" which I tired to read one sunny day in Regents Park, and found myself looking to see how many more pages I had to endure before I got to the end of the chapter, and could put it down.

There are a lot of anecdotes from Brears' time, which shed light on his friendship with Derek Randall for one, but some more up to date ones - Warne vs Daryll Cullinan, as well as some from earlier era's.

As an examination of ..... whatever its subject matter really is, this is an opus a whole lot more serious than "The Art of Captaincy", and probably best summarised by the cliché of a truly "weighty tome".

Caveat Lector.

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
04 October, 2018 10:29
Just to let everyone know the book auction ends this Saturday at midnight.
Also,thanks to two of our Middle family for additional donations to add to the book final amount.
Will,of course let you all know the full amount and where Ellie,Diamonds daughter,is going to send the money to.

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 07:55
Ok folks,I'm pleased to close the auction for the mentioned book.
Kev,you are the book owner,and thank you for the bid of £50.
Will contact your good self about arrangements for sending book and cash as well.
Also,there have been 3 additional donations that has made the full amount come to £100.

Will contact Ellie soon and let her know,will also leave a,message on this thread to let you know the charity being sent to.

THANK YOU FOR TAKING PART IN THIS MEMORY OF OUR STILL MISSED GREAT FRIEND DIAMOND.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2018 07:56 by BeefyRoberts.

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 17:49
At the forum today,I had two more contributions to the 'book fund',thank you.

We have a total of £130 now.

THANK YOU

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
09 October, 2018 05:38
Just an update.
Spoke with Ellie,she said...'Wow,that's awesome,thank you all so much.We will be donating the money to the London Air Ambulance fund'

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
11 October, 2018 11:45
Another update,with recent addition to the book fund,I'm pleased to announce we have now raised £150 for our friend Diamond.
Thanks all

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 10:08
Money has now been transferred to Ellie.
Once again both Ellie,and her mum,Pauline send their thanks for this donation.

Our friend,Diamond,won't be forgotten.

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
13 October, 2018 06:20
And today,running at Newmarket 4.15.
Horse called Mr Diamond,not a good price (12-1)
but,for £1 e/w,just has to be backed!

dingy bags (IP Logged)
13 October, 2018 09:54
Glad you haven't put all the donated money on it, Beefy!

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
14 October, 2018 10:31
4th position

According to Sporting Life match report Diamond ironically finished 4th having run out of steam at the end. I blame the fag , burger and pint taken before the race.

Barmy Kev

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
11 November, 2018 11:05
Ellie,Diamonds daughter has put a post on Facebook,with my poor (to say the least) PC skills I can't put a link up!
But,she thanks everyone for donations etc and the total raised was £175 in the end.

Just a little update for all to see.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net