cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

RIP JT Murray Middlesex legend

They think its all over. It is now
Middlesex till we die (IP Logged)
12 September, 2018 16:21
What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 13/09/2018 10:39 by BarmierKev.

Re: They think its all over. It is now
BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
12 September, 2018 19:29
Thanks Mick.
It's been frustrating for sure,and,as you say,it's been good to see the youngsters come through,some hopefully seen for a few years.
Kent seem to be the surprise package in div 2,before season started it was us,Warwicks and Sussex to be fighting for the two promotion spots.(so the bookies said!)
Low scoring game again,lack of batting points...again.

Lifer (IP Logged)
12 September, 2018 20:38
It is very sad but those of us who though we would go up had not budgeted for Toby to be missing all season and niggling injuries to Finn and Helm. Neither did I think we would fail to sign a high profile overseas batsman who might have replaced some of the low scorers.

Oh well next year

Merry like Bill (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 07:36
I went to Day 2 of the Kent game and it was an absorbing watch. Here are some random musings;

The wicket was clearly doing a lot and I lost count of the number of times we played and missed.....must've been 40+

I did miss the first 45 mins but I'm sure in the time I was there, there was only one cover driven 4 (by Eskinazi to the Mound Stand) and most of the runs came behind the wicket....on 6 occasions fine of long leg before lunch.

Kent generally bowled with discipline and it was noticeable how they left their quickest bowler, Thomas until last in the pecking order. Podmore and Stevens were the ideal bowlers for the conditions and Henry had class. We shall never know but if Murtagh had been playing, I can't see how we wouldn't have won.

On the batting front, Robson battled gamely and occasionally gave glimpses of his class but there's something odd about his balance. A couple of times he appeared to topple forward as if he was feeling for the ball and his dismissal was to a strange looking walking grope.

The move of Holden from 6 to 3 looked flawed. I know Eskinazi suffered cramp at Gloucs but this was never going to be a long game. Holden had been doing well at 6.

It's easy for me to say but Morgan surely would've been better off trying to play a one day type innings. Even an unorthodox 25 could have been crucial. It just didn't look like a wicket for @#$%& about on, as there was always a low one, a bouncy one or the pesky umpires to contend with (Mr Taylor does like an LBW doesn't he?)

James Fuller batted really well but I should imagine he's kicking himself for not trying to open up when we went 8 down. It was too much to ask Bamber and Finn (for a 2nd time) to survive on that track.

We surely picked the wrong team for the conditions. There was a bit of early talk about how good the track was going to be and it appears we were suckered in. Ok...Kent have the luxury of a top order bat who does their spinning for them and we don't. But surely Stirling at 7 with licence to whack should have been the way to go? As it was, Rayner battled gamely with the bat (like he nearly always does) and his on driven 4 was only surpassed by Finn's cracking pull shot for my shot of the day. But is it enough to have your main spinner largely selected for his brilliant slip fielding and very game attitude?

Bowling wise; Finn had little rhythm and bowled badly. Bamber got the ball up there and at least brought the batsmen forward. I've been impressed with him.

The field placing was odd. Bell-Drummond was especially adept at dropping the ball backward of point for singles (and once for a 2 to the short side!!). Given that so few runs had been scored in front of the wicket, we were crying out to either lose deep square leg or extra cover to plug the gap and make him do something different. He got settled and the game was pretty much gone by close of play.

dingy bags (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 10:19
I agree with much of the above post and would also like to congratulate Mick on an excellent report with some sound analysis.

Primrose Hillbilly (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 11:36
The one thing I would disagree with is how Morgan played.

Second time around, he had scored one run, so was just starting in a match where time was not an issue. He had to - at least - make the Kent bowlers get him out.

So he smacked one straight to midwicket, when all he had to do was look to put the easy ball into a gap, until a rank bad one came along, after he had made a few.

With all his experience, he really should have both known and done better.

He's a disgrace.

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 11:41
We need to bring back public flogging.

Lifer (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 14:11
He has not played red ball cricket for years. If we had signed decent overseas batsman he would not have played this summer

On the other hand his crafty captaincy v Warks - (while Malan was off the field) he got Simmo to stand up to frustrate Trott and lead to his dismissal. That probably won us the game.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net