cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

RIP JT Murray Middlesex legend

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Middlesex versus Derbyshire at Lord's (SCC - 18th to 21st September)
Seaxe Boy (IP Logged)
12 September, 2018 23:46
Middlesex play Derbyshire in their final home match of the 2018 SpecSavers County Championship. Play commences at 10.30 a.m.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 23/09/2018 16:51 by BarmierKev.

Re: Middlesex versus Derbyshire at Lord's (SCC - 18th to 21st September)
chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 06:28
Logically you would think White or Simpson will come in as keeper (taking Morgan's place in the side, and letting Eski concentrate on his batting).

If we assume Morgan isn't available then the only other option would be George Scott.

As there is nothing in this for either side, we might as well let Tom Lace continue to play for Derbtshire.

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 08:24
Tom Lace won't be playing for Derbyshire,as rules dictate unable to vs parent club.
Wicketkeeper? I would keep Eski in that position as he is improving as he plays,it's been a good,brave move to have him and think it should continue for last 2 games.

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 18:49
After there was a lot of internal and external expectation that Middlsex would challenge for promotion, it is disappointing that we will head into our penultimate match of the season unable to finish any higher than 4th. Still, it could give us some momentum to take into next season - and would certainly give us some pride - if we finish this season as strongly as we can. We are three points behind Derbyshire as part of a group of five teams separated by 18 points who will probably finish between 4th and 8th. Surely we would prefer to finish closer to 4th than 8th.

Something else we have to play for is the avoidance of the tag of having the fewest batting points in the country. We have 9, which is level with Glamorgan and 2 behind Kent. However, with this match being at Lord’s, I am not confident.

Even if Eoin Morgan is not required for trials of The 100, surely there is no way he can retain his place for this match, as his last 10 County Championship innings have yielded just 45 runs, and his selection for the match v Kent denied a place for someone like Paul Stirling, Robbie White or George Scott. On one hand, Richard Johnson has said that players who do not play well enough will find themselves out of the side, while Angus Fraser said at the mid-season forum that internationals such as Hilton Cartwright are not undroppable. However on the other hand, Morgan and Cartwright appear to have played every match for which they have been available, so maybe this rule only applies to John Simpson and Steven Finn.

Hopefully James Harris, Tim Murtagh and maybe even Tom Helm will be available. However, James Harris and Ethan Bamber deserve to retain their places, as does Martin Andersson due to the fact he is an all-rounder, one for the future and another candidate for Morgan’s position (and Andersson has inside knowledge of Derbyshire!). Unless we envisage requiring some overs of spin, it would be a bit pointless to once again select Ollie Rayner or another spinner.

The weather forecast for this match seems good, so unless the pitch is different to those seen at Lord's this season, a draw can probably be ruled-out.

dingy bags (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 19:48
I am pretty sure that Tom Helm will not play again this year. Other than that, I have given up trying to guess our selections, or batting order.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 07:54
Eoin Morgan is not taking part in the 100 ball practice, as according to Hoult in the Telegraph, he is playing for Middlesex next week.

14 September, 2018 07:57
Fantastic news.

(Sm60)

14 September, 2018 14:38
Steve Finn will miss the last two matches, which makes sense.

[www.middlesexccc.com]

14 September, 2018 18:58
2018 has proven to have been a difficult year for Steven Finn, as I don’t think he has been fully fit all season, and has consequently been unable to perform to his best. Injuries to Finn, Toby Roland-Jones and Tom Helm must be considered one of the many factors in how the season has gone for Middlesex, as those three players have been restricted to a grand total of 10 County Championship appearances and have taken 18 wickets. Hopefully they will come back strongly in 2019 and help make it the year we get promoted.

Thankfully, Tim Murtagh and James Harris have had excellent seasons, James Fuller has had his moments, and Ethan Bamber has hit the ground running.

It is tempting to write-off Finn’s chances of ever returning to his best or playing well enough to be considered for international selection. However, I am sure he will be motivated by the fact that similar things have been said about most of the Watford FC first-choice XI, and look at how they have done so far this season! So, I have faith that Finn has several good years left in him.

I hope the only use Middlesex have for Eoin Morgan next week is to carry the drinks!

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 12:08
Derby have moved above MX on the back of their win at Northants despite recording one win less.

This is due to having accrued 28 batting points to our nine and the 19 point difference equals a win.

It also says that so far, Derby have batted three times as well as MX in the first innings.

Eoin Morgan to carry the drinks....hmmmmmm

16 September, 2018 21:33
Speaking to BBC, Dawid Malan says that his hopes of returning to the England side have been hampered by it being difficult for batsmen to score runs at Lord’s, which he says has the “16th or 17th lowest average score in county cricket this year” and where an individual score of 30 seems to be a good innings.

I think he should technically have said that Lord’s has the 16th or 17th highest average score or one of the lowest (depending on whether or not outgrounds are factored in), although I can understand his point.

The difficulties of batting at Lord's cannot be used as an excuse for Middlesex's lack of first innings leads or any problems we have away from Lord's.

Westrock (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 13:35
Squad announcement [www.middlesexccc.com]

WayOutWest (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 16:15
Tom Lace is in the Derby squad so I presume he will play.

tbl (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 18:03
Is there really much point in playing the likes of Murtagh and Robson? I would like to see youngsters given a chance in what is essentially a dead fixture.

17 September, 2018 18:37
Or give Compton an outing - I can't remember what he looks like.

17 September, 2018 18:49
Apart from Steven Finn, everyone who played v Kent at Lord’s last week is in Middlesex’s squad for this match, which means that Eoin Morgan remains in contention to play. Hopefully at least one of George Scott, Paul Stirling and Robbie White will play. At least Tim Murtagh and James Harris are in the squad.

Although it would be nice if most out of Scott, White, Martin Andersson and Ethan Bamber play, I am equally as keen for us to select a line-up for our final two matches who can help us end the season on a strong note, as that could give us some momentum to take into next season and ensure we finish as high in the table as we can, as everyone around the club would spend the winter with a bitter taste in their mouth if we finish something like 6th-8th in division two.

Derbyshire have named a 14-man squiad for this match consisting of 1. Billy Godleman, 27. Tom Lace, 10. Luis Reece, 77. Wayne Madsen, 18. Alex Hughes, 14. Gary Wilson, 20. Matt Critchley, 16. Harvey Hosein, 65. Anuj Dal, 11. Daryn Smit, 28. Tony Palladino, 7. Hardus Viljoen, 69. Lockie Ferguson and 41. Ravi Rampaul. I wasn't sure if Lace would be allowed to play, as on one hand I am not aware of any ECB rules saying that loan players cannot play against their parent club, but on the other hand I believed that maybe there would be an agreement that Lace couldn't play. I am not sure whether to hope he has a good match, or hope he has a few off-days!

Richard Johnson has spoken to our YouTube page ahead of this match:

18 September, 2018 08:05
Richard Johnson- 'You always pick your best players when they are available'

Oh- and Eoin Morgan too.

Primrose Hillbilly (IP Logged)
18 September, 2018 08:44
So, the tension mounts.

Will it be ten committed Middlesex players + Morgan, or just eleven committed Middlesex players.

Can't wait.

Very murky and windy in NW5, as at 09.46, so start may well be delayed.

18 September, 2018 09:18
Quote:
chunkyinargyll
Logically you would think White or Simpson will come in as keeper (taking Morgan's place in the side, and letting Eski concentrate on his batting).

At least I got that right.

Robbie White keeps wicket.

No toss, meaning we bat first.

Primrose Hillbilly (IP Logged)
18 September, 2018 09:24
Whoopppeeee!!!

Just eleven cricketers committed to playing for Middlesex then.

A slightly baffling decision, for we afficionado's of the new and exotic ways of getting out cheaply school of batting, but maybe it's done for the good of the team overall.

I guess my helpful suggestions on career advancement that might have offered to Eion Morgan may just have to stay zipped.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net