cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

RIP JT Murray Middlesex legend

Worst batting performance ever?
Darren Gosling (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 21:13
Having checked the historic County Championship Tables, Essex with 16pts in 1998 have recorded the lowest ever batting points in a season.
We would have to take maximum batting points from our remaining two matches to avoid doing worse.

I wouldn't mind if we had batsmen that were rubbish - but three have Test hundreds and another an England Lions hundred which just proves how badly we have under-performed with the bat this season, 9 points really is pathetic.....

Re: Worst batting performance ever?
chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 06:22
Darren-

The figures don't lie, and we should have done better.

I know I've made this point before, but I still feel our bowling unit has questions to answer,

Harris and Murtagh have been superb, but by and large there hasn't been much to back them up.

That means that if we are bowled out for, say, 180, that may well be a par score for the conditions, but unfortunately it is often our bowling that lets the opposition get 250-280 in reply, and in low scoring matches that is a big first innings deficit to recover (although we've managed to on a few occasions)

Not TRJ's fault he was ruled out after match 2, and Finn has clearly had fitness problems all season, and there must be concerns that Helm will be one of those players who can never go more than a few weeks before another injury strikes.

But it's the usual story that on the face of it we had the squad we needed. If a top order of Robson, Gubbins, Eskinazi, Malan, Morgan, Holden AND Compton (I include him, because he is still on the staff) had performed, no extra signings should have been needed. I know I sound like a broken record, but players want to play. If you overload with big names that expect to play, all that happens is the ones in reserve will want to leave at the end of the season (plus it blocks young players getting the odd first team appearance here and there). It's like trying to fill a bucket with a hole in it.

Re: Worst batting performance ever?
Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 08:02
Totals of 400+ are generally reliant on strong performances from the top three on a regular basis.

For the past two seasons that for MX has not happened.

The last time those kind of totals were gained on a fairly regular basis was when Chris Rogers was at the top of the MX order.

Sadly, since his departure, no one has filled his boots.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net