Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Let the 2019 season begin

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Ravi Patel to leave Middlesex
Primrose Hillbilly 31 December, 2018 17:40
Even allowing for my felicitous reference to "hoe" fixtures at Zummerzett (now corrected), Adelaide, I am afraid you appear to have missed the point I was making.

Leach on England duty + Bess injured, or vice versa leaves both unavailable. I cannot speak for the strength in depth of the Cidermen's spin dept. but stranger things have happened than an experienced spinner from another county to be added to a squad, especially given the trend that Johnno and Compton set, let alone Trego.

there was also an allrounder who went down there, who might have domne something for us, but who didn't feature at all down there ..............?.

Most cricketers are more than "said to be unhappy" at not being selected, by the way. They want to play first team cricket, not to carry the drinks or play in the Second's - enny fule no !!!

Rumours, schmooomers.

adelaide 01 January, 2019 13:07
PH - I think I got your point. Mine is that SCCC would probably only look to add a spinner if they were actually intending to continue with extremely spin-friendly pitches. My impression is that the Lancashire pitch was an aberration which they won't want to risk repeating.

They also have van der Moewe and Waller in their squad, so I doubt they would be looking for a spinner specifically for white ball either. I have no more idea than you whether there are any other up-and-coming spinners in their squad.

I hope Ravi finds a decent berth somewhere - if that is still what he wants to do. While the road from Lord's to Taunton is well-trodden, I don't think that really affects the chances of Ravi being taken on at Taunton. I'm inclined to think that Bess to Middlesex is marginally more likely if he continues to struggle for a place, as it is not going to help him get into the England team.

So there you are; I've "seen" your rumour and raised it with another one! Not sure that either Is much more likely than Root to Lancashire or Batty to Somerset...

Adelaide

chunkyinargyll 01 January, 2019 13:17
Talking of rumours-

How about Bairstow to Middlesex?

Out of contract, and still hasn't signed his Yorkshire deal yet.

(Sm159)

Yorkie fans appear to be divided down the middle as to whether or not they should be concerned that he is yet to put pen to paper.

adelaide 01 January, 2019 17:17
Chunky - How often would we see Bairstow play though?

Mind you, just suppose we were playing Yorkshire in a vital end-of-season match and the ECB said that Bairstow could play for us. The resultant explosion in God's Own County would be understandable but also quite something to behold.

Adelaide

dingy bags 08 January, 2019 18:57
Ravi has tweeted thay he will be working at Merchant Tailors School (his alma mater, of course) in various cricket-related capacities.

Good luck to him - and who's going to bowl his overs in white=ball cricket.

adelaide 09 January, 2019 00:25
Just a thought.

If Ravi is working at Merchant Taylor's, rather than playing for another county, might we yet see him again in Middlesex whites and/or colours? Though he may have no wish to, of course.

Adelaide

Seaxe_man1 09 January, 2019 14:38
Given the favourable comment in his white ball matches in the Yearbook.. It makes sense to have retained his services for those matches.

Seaxe_man1 09 January, 2019 14:41
I would add as well. Between 2015 and 2017. Ravi bowled only 135 overs for 20 wickets. Not over indulgent by any stretch.This was red ball cricket.

In 2018 was not seen from mid season onwards.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2019 14:46 by Seaxe_man1.

adelaide 09 January, 2019 16:18
The implication in Gus's note on Patel was that bowling in white ball mode had messed up his confidence for red ball mode. That probably says a lot about priorities in the game these days.

It is noticeable that Surrey have kept Virdi away from white ball cricket. So too Somerset with Leach and Bess, though I did read that Leach wanted to play white ball. There are of course spinners who play well in all forms but I am not sure how many of those started after T20 was with us. 50 over white ball cricket is much closer than T20 to CC.

Adelaide

Seaxe_man1 09 January, 2019 16:52
I would add to GF's comments Adelaide that 135 red ball overs not much help either in three seasons.. In England spinners need lots of game time to mature. Not provided by Mx.

adelaide 09 January, 2019 17:43
SM1 - Agreed, though he was injured quite a bit. Lord's pitches certainly did not help. If you want wickets which favour your strong seam attack, it is not surprising that your young(ish) spinner does not get much of a look in. I had hoped that he would get a regular spot in CC2 but it was worse - pitches pretty much everywhere were seam-friendly. Ollie's slip catching and his potential (rarely seen in recent years) to score decent runs just about kept him afloat but for Ravi it pretty much all depended on his bowling.

I suppose one rather unflattering (to the club) way to look at is this. The English game is not blessed with high class spinners. If you think you have got one, you need to cherish them and not let spin be squeezed into being an over rate tool. That may mean different types of pitches (I don't mean Ciderabad) even if it does not play to the strengths of the established attack. It probably also means protecting them from having to bowl what suits T20 but would be regarded as near filth in the CC.

But in order to be that unflattering, I am making too many assumptions. Even the most promising players do not always develop, for all kinds of reason - confidence, injury, peaking early - and it might be that whatever the club had done we would be in the same position.

Adelaide

Seaxe_man1 13 January, 2019 11:52
Adelaide. Your comments on Lord's tracks are fair. However, during the Scott era, there were a number of away matches where a second spinner was justified. Scott ignored that.

adelaide 13 January, 2019 15:39
If Scott actually picked the team...

Whatever the policy was, it served us well enough in 2016 but I suppose that is a possible trade-off - success right now against what might have been better for county and country further down the line.

Adelaide

Seaxe_man1 14 January, 2019 10:36
Quote:
adelaide
If Scott actually picked the team...
Whatever the policy was, it served us well enough in 2016 but I suppose that is a possible trade-off - success right now against what might have been better for county and country further down the line.

Adelaide
If Mr Scott was not picking the side Adelaide.. This begs the question who was?

adelaide 14 January, 2019 13:08
Let's put it this way. Even if you select the team, you may well be quite heavily influenced by your boss's views on the balance of the attack, even if there is no direct intervention in selection.

I'm not sure who selected the team during Udal's captaincy when that ridiculous line about Scott just putting out the cones appeared.

Adelaide

Seaxe_man1 14 January, 2019 14:08
2009 was not a great year for Mx Cricket spinwise.It was not until 2017 that this became apparent. During that period Tom Smith still at Glaws was thrown over and as stated previously, his successor lacked support.

Seaxe_man1 15 January, 2019 14:27
Quote:
adelaide
Let's put it this way. Even if you select the team, you may well be quite heavily influenced by your boss's views on the balance of the attack, even if there is no direct intervention in selection.
I'm not sure who selected the team during Udal's captaincy when that ridiculous line about Scott just putting out the cones appeared.

Adelaide

Plus during Udal's captaincy era. There was the ridiculous declaration against Essex in 2009 which gave Essex a chase of about 240 off 45 overs.

Essex a good one day side, thought Christmas had come early, and duly knocked off the runs.

That win propelled Essex to promotion.

The onfield captain was Morgan, who with his team worked hard to avert defeat, only for Udal from the balcony, to insist on a giveaway declaration. Nice one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/01/2019 14:29 by Seaxe_man1.

Jonathan Winsky 19 January, 2019 10:33
Harrow St Mary’s CC have written on Twitter that Ravi Patel has been appointed as their Head Coach and will be running a coaching service named R-Stars Cricket Coaching, so he is likely to be heavily-occupied considering this is in addition to his duties at Merchant Taylors’ School. And surely he will play for Harrow St. Mary’s as well as coach them, unless he believes that he has more to gain from coaching than continuing to play.

Seaxe_man1 23 January, 2019 13:05
Harrow St Mary's is his club. So will play for them I imagine, as now no longer a contracted Mx player.

Their ground is a nice spot out in the country near Headstone Lane Station. Is a tidy walk from there down a country lane.

Seaxe_man1 08 February, 2019 13:08
Cricket Paper article by DR Pringle pages 6 and 7 adds to the debate about England's opening problems and spin bowling.

Article states that pitches are deliberately prepared to be seam friendly, regardless of when the matches are played.

This cuts across any spin bowling aspirants. Exception Somerset who prepare spin pitches.

Currently Leach, Bess and Waller are looking for white ball loans as they are surplus to the Cidermen's requirements in the RLC.

Pringle also remarks that Bayliss, as is the norm, blamed county cricket for the the Test defeats.

Kind of overlooks that England players play little if any county cricket anyway. So not a direct correlation. Especially as young players of promise disappear to the Lions pdq for their further development.

Incorrect selection for the first Test had more to do with that defeat than county cricket.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net