Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Let the 2019 season begin

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Ravi Patel to leave Middlesex
adelaide 08 February, 2019 13:54
I thought Max Waller had recently signed a white ball only contract, like Trego, so I'd be surprised if he were looking for a loan. Leach is supposed to be looking for a white ball loan. Bess might be looking for a general loan as he is often omitted from the red ball side too. Or even a permanent move, in which case I would hope that we would be interested.

Adelaide

Seaxe_man1 08 February, 2019 14:15
Waller is a regular in the T20 Somerset side but not the RLC. All three Somerset spinners say that they are down the pecking order for 50 over cricket.

Reason. Roelof van de Merwe is the preferred option in the RLC. They hope it does not escalate to a Craig Keiswetter / Jos Buttler type dilemma back in 2013.

Bagpuss 09 February, 2019 06:40
No doubt the ECB will attempt to shrink England's red ball woes by reducing the Championship to ten matches, played half in March and the remainder in October, three of them under floodlights and without any England contracted or overseas players. And when that doesn't work they can move on to eight supercounties™ , which has been their plan all along.

Seaxe_man1 12 February, 2019 11:15
With ten extra counties Bagpuss, the Minor Counties Championship should be worth watching.

Played at weekends as well. Could be like boxing with multi governing bodies.

adelaide 12 February, 2019 12:09
That would be ten extra counties with permanent grounds and other infrastructure against existing minor counties who play on club grounds and need (and therefore have) little in the way of administrative infrastructure.

That may be overstating it but there is surely a huge step jump - and not just in playing ability - between the best of the Minor Counties and the worst of the Championship counties.

I suspect that is is more likely in these doomsday scenarios that some of the existing Championship counties would fold. Any subsequent club with the same name would bear little similarity.

Adelaide

chunkyinargyll 12 February, 2019 12:28
I can remember a time when Somerset and Lancashire 2nd XI's used to take part in the Minor counties championship (as well as county 2nd XI matches).

Maybe they should have stuck to it.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Wiki says Somerset were the last first class county to play in the minor counties championship, only leaving after 1987.

The county 2nd XI championship started in 1959, so for a while some counties continued to play in both.

Seaxe_man1 14 February, 2019 15:35
Quote:
adelaide
That would be ten extra counties with permanent grounds and other infrastructure against existing minor counties who play on club grounds and need (and therefore have) little in the way of administrative infrastructure.
That may be overstating it but there is surely a huge step jump - and not just in playing ability - between the best of the Minor Counties and the worst of the Championship counties.

I suspect that is is more likely in these doomsday scenarios that some of the existing Championship counties would fold. Any subsequent club with the same name would bear little similarity.

Adelaide

All bar MX (and Surrey) own their real estate, so their bargaining position is better than MX's, who as one of the non franchises, would be the most likely to fold.

With ten extras teams (or maybe nine) with a lot of admin experience between them. Pretty sure that they could run the show if push comes to shove.

They could certainly form a board probably better than the current ECB. Would'nt necessarily be crashing over the cliff.

The no longer Minor Counties Board.

The franchise eight appear to be Yorks, Lancs, MCC, Glammy, Warwicks, Hampshire, Notts, Surrey. Good luck to all who sail.

Devon back in the sixties applied to join the first class set-up and were rejected.

Admittedly Somerset would have felt the draught as a number of their current players are Devonians.

To whit. Bess, Green, Gregory and the two Overton's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/02/2019 14:10 by Seaxe_man1.

adelaide 15 February, 2019 11:48
If the doomsday scenario came to pass, what would a joint Minor/Displaced Counties competition look like?

My guess is that it would become similar to the current Minor Counties competition, with few pros and little infrastructure. There's an argument that owning and having to maintain an underutilised county ground would actually become a millstone in that scenario. I would imagine that sponsorship income would drop like a stone and the income from hosting business or other events is hardly going to increase. Paying for a business event at a venue which used to be used for first class cricket does not have the same cachet as being where the greats (still) play.

The other scenario is that somehow the existing counties carry on not too dissimilar to what they are now but playing Minor Counties. I doubt that is feasible but if that was the outcome there would be a huge disparity between the traditional Minor Counties and displaced counties - much larger than that between CC1 and even the foot of CC2, I think.

Thinking real doomsday, what is the position of life members if a county goes belly up or becomes a glorified Minor County? I suspect that they would be stuffed but it could be argued that they were signing up for their life, not that of the county.

Adelaide

Seaxe_man1 15 February, 2019 14:29
That is one scenario Adelaide. Leaving aside the existing Minor Counties, who do get grants from the ECB anyway. The ten shall we say, still getting a lump from the ECB could form their own competition.

Many among those ten are able and do, host pop concerts and the like plus are also able to run indoor events out of season.

From where will the ECB get its red ball players from?. A problem with numbers 1 to 3 at the moment in the England side. The franchise eight. Seems unlikely.

Also a huge swathe of England without first class cricket, running from Worcs through Derby, Leics, Northants, Essex, Mx, kent, Sussex, finally Glos and Somerset would'nt leave a lot of chance for youngsters in those areas to progress or be noticed.

There are media elements (sky for one) ( not the sharpest tool in the box) who think cutting back to 6 teams and playing ten games is a good idea.

The thesis offered being, that talent is spread too thinly.

After the current players have retired. Even thinner I would suspect.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net