Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Let the 2019 season begin

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
England v Sri Lanka
Discussion started by tbl , 21 September, 2018 18:25
England v Sri Lanka
tbl 21 September, 2018 18:25
England squad

3 new caps - Burns, Denly and Stone.

Burns selection seemed inevitable given his form, and Stone looks to be worth a chance, but Denly is a very strange choice. Jennings is a lucky man given his poor form this summer.

Re: England v Sri Lanka
hdo 21 September, 2018 18:55
Wonder how well Leach will perform.

Dickythetrick 21 September, 2018 20:17
Denly really isn’t a surprise, he’s been playing great cricket in all formats over the season. Is there a bit of resentment because there’s no middlesex players?

tbl 21 September, 2018 20:42
I wasn't expecting any Middlesex players to be selected. Malan was the only real contender and might feel hard done by given his success last winter but I understand why the selectors preferred a youngster like Pope as the spare batsmen.

Denly is a real left field selection. This season he has 798 runs @ 36.27 in Division 2. That is in line with his FC career average, so he hasn't done anything out of the ordinary. His bowling is mainly used in one day cricket, so I don't see what he is adding to the test squad. I wish him well and hope to be proved wrong.

chunkyinargyll 21 September, 2018 20:59
I doubt that Dawid has helped his cause by saying on more than one occasion (including today's post match interview) words to the effect that others have been given more chances than he's had.

Criticising Ed Smith (justifiably or not) isn't going to help you win any marginal decisions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/09/2018 21:00 by chunkyinargyll.

Jonathan Winsky 21 September, 2018 22:23
Rory Burns’ call-up is deserved. However, it remains to be seen how Joe Denly would perform if he were to be selected, as most of the success he has enjoyed in first-class cricket has come in division two, which means that Test cricket represents a big step up.

The Test series will be a big challenge for England, as their home record in recent years has been quite good, with impressive series results being punctuated by disappointing match defeats. However, their away record over the last two winters has been very poor, as their last 13 matches have resulted in 10 defeats and 3 draws, while they have historically struggled in the sub-continent. Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and West Indies’ recent experiences in the sub-continent are unlikely to boost England’s confidence.

England will also be keen to perform well in the limited-overs matches ahead of next summer’s World Cup on home soil, although admittedly the conditions they will face in Sri Lanka are unlikely to bear much resemblance to what they will face at the World Cup.

freddie tittlemouse 22 September, 2018 10:26
Denly's spin capabilities are probably a factor.

Somebody should remind Malan that the way to get selected is to score oodles of runs and there's not been a lot of that in evidence this year.

Sri Lanka versus England 2018/19
Seaxe Boy 05 October, 2018 09:14
Despite the doubts expressed about Denly through his recent involvement with the second division, I remain confident that he will step up to the mark if required.

The recently retired Cook amongst several others, proved that all cricketers should be picked on merit. As we have discovered, it is a tougher division than it is often given credit for.

County figures are often a guide but some cricketers have been known to exceeded expectations at the highest level.

Malan amongst a surprisingly high number of batsmen proved short of runs during the 2018 season. Burns, Denly and Pope for different reasons are worth taking a look at.

It is appropriate that an increase in spin bowling options has been taken into consideration for this series.

Re: Sri Lanka versus England 2018/19
adelaide 05 October, 2018 11:00
Given the nature of CC2 pitches this season, a batting average of X in CC2 may even be better than the same in CC2, so those decrying Denly's inclusion because he is only CC2 are probably barking up the wrong tree. By the same token, perhaps CC2 seam bowlers' averages should not count for that much. Not that the selectors just loom at averages of course.

Adelaide

adelaide 05 October, 2018 17:07
Lot of talk about the ambidextrous spinner. What's all the fuss? I was ambidextrous as a bowler - equally rubbish with both arms.

Adelaide

Seaxe Boy 30 October, 2018 02:52
The early signs indicate that Denly may prove to be a wise selection. He produced a career best bowling performance with the new ball in the t20 International.

His perceived versatility in the batting order may also come in useful.

Seaxe_Man 30 October, 2018 14:51
With the retirement of Alastair Cook. The selectors over the past six years have used 12 openers with him. None nailed the place down.

So the national selectors now have two problems instead of one. Burns has rightly on form being given first shout.

Joe Denly also on form, deserves to be an option, especially as he offers alternative legspin.

The third skill fielding, passed muster when with MX.

The fact that during the Scott regime his bowling skills went unnoticed: not a major surprise.

Scott and spin bowling was like two magnets with the same polarity.

The legacy of which will be with us in 2019.

BarmierKev 01 November, 2018 22:42

BeefyRoberts 02 November, 2018 01:43
Kevs link just about sums up the whole tour.
Who,in their right mind,would arrange a tour during the monsoon season?
Now,hotels are double booked so the teams might be unable to use them.
You just can't make it up!!

Jonathan Winsky 02 November, 2018 23:12
The Daily Mail report that the issues surrounding the second Test at the Pallekele Stadium in Kandy have now been resolved after the Sri Lanka sports minister intervened and has turfed out more than 100 England supporters from the Earl’s Regency Hotel so that the rooms can be used by players and officials from Sri Lanka and England.

As a way of compensation - and appropriately considering the name of the town where the match takes place is Kandy - those who have been turfed out have been given sweeteners, which include travel to and from the new hotel and the ground, and free food and drinks at the hotel, at the ground and on the coach.

adelaide 03 November, 2018 00:02
Quote:
BeefyRoberts
Kevs link just about sums up the whole tour.
Who,in their right mind,would arrange a tour during the monsoon season?
Now,hotels are double booked so the teams might be unable to use them.
You just can't make it up!!

You might also ask whether you have to be truly Barmy to travel out to Sri Lanka to watch during the monsoon season. At last the England team have the excuse of being paid to go there and watch the rain.

Adelaide

Jonathan Winsky 06 November, 2018 19:17
I watched the last 30 minutes of the morning session, which ended with England five wickets down, something which left me fearful that they would be bowled out cheaply and be on their way to yet another away series defeat. However, I needn't have worried, as I then remembered that part of the reason for their recent 4-1 series win at home to India was the amount of runs they scored down the order. Sure enough, the runs by their lower-middle-order today has seen them make an excellent recovery.

About the only disappointment about Ben Foakes today is that Chris Woakes isn’t playing, which means my dream of those two playing in the same side as Ben Stokes is yet to be realised. However, if Foakes performs like he did today, maybe it will happen at some point. The only problem is that there seems to be a bit of competition for the roles of wicket-keeper and all-rounder, which jeopardises my dream. Where there isn’t much competition is for the role of opening batsmen, which is why England often make bad starts and find themselves requiring the players down the order to rescue them.

Seaxe Boy 06 November, 2018 23:05
A stoic recovery from the debutant Foakes who is closing in, on a maiden century. He has engaged in several useful partnerships with Buttler, Curran and Rashid.

Seaxe Boy 07 November, 2018 06:04
1st Test 2nd Day

England 342 (97 overs)
(Foakes 107, Curran 48, Jennings 46, Perera 5/75)
Sri Lanka 34/2 (13 overs)

Anderson & Curran have taken the new ball with a wicket apiece. Leach first change.

Jonathan Winsky 07 November, 2018 19:23
It was an excellent day for England thanks to their three spinners sharing eight wickets to give them a 139-run first innings lead, then their openers unbelievably seeing out 12 overs before the close. Unless England's batting doesn't go well tomorrow, they should be able to set Sri Lanka a big target.

One consolation for Sri Lanka is that due to only two days having so far been played, their run chase is likely to take place on a pitch which will be less worn than it would have been had it taken place on day five.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net