cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

RIP JT Murray Middlesex legend

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Re: New head coach is Stuart Law
Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
24 September, 2018 19:27
I am very happy about this appointment, as Stuart Law knows county cricket very well and must clearly be a good coach considering he presently is West Indies head coach having previously worked with Sri Lanka and Bangladesh.

It seems that Law will not officially start his role at Middlesex until January, but it would be nice if he could at least issue some instructions or advice between now and then, such as with regards to whether he feels we need to try to make some signings, or with regards to which overseas player we should sign.

I kind of expected us to continue having separate coaches for Twenty20 cricket and the two other formats. To state the obvious, our decision to instead appoint Law as coach for all formats must have been largely influenced by our regression in Twenty20 under Daniel Vettori. However, another factor must be that we have more confidence in Law’s coaching ability in Twenty20 than we had under Richard Scott. Vettori has now lost two coaching roles in recent months, as he was let go by Royal Challnegers Bangalore last month.

I would like to think that Law would like Richard Johnson to remain in our coaching set-up and that Johnno would like to work under Law. However, if Johnno gets an offer to be head coach elsewhere or he changes his mind about being reluctant to work in an international set-up, then it would be understandable if he leaves.

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
24 September, 2018 19:52
Angus Fraser interview on appointment of Stuart Law.

[audioboom.com]

24 September, 2018 19:54
What no Daniel Vettori
Things are looking up already!!

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
24 September, 2018 20:34
A possibility (I put it no higher than that) that Ed Joyce could be our new batting coach (which would mean giving up his Ireland role)

24 September, 2018 21:39
Angus Fraser’s comment about one of the factors in Middlesex’s decline over the last two years being due to players getting married, having children or receiving international call-ups is a repeat of something he has said at a couple of recent forums.

He seems to have ruled out the possibility of us signing players from other counties this winter, although admittedly he had said that in a previous interview.

Gus also said that he is hopeful Richard Johnson will remain at the club.

Seaxe Boy (IP Logged)
24 September, 2018 21:41
Congratulations to the highly capable Stuart Law upon his appointment as Head Coach.

Darren Gosling (IP Logged)
24 September, 2018 23:19
I agree, unexpected but very welcome news.
I had hoped for an Aussie and definitely didn't want an ex-Middx player.
Losing Vettori a Brucie Bonus!
Just need to replace the Director of Cricket now....

adelaide (IP Logged)
25 September, 2018 09:33
Quote:
Jonathan Winsky
Angus Fraser’s comment about one of the factors in Middlesex’s decline over the last two years being due to players getting married, having children or receiving international call-ups is a repeat of something he has said at a couple of recent forums.

I found the comment very strange at the time and to me there is an element of covering of the backside about it. International call-ups, yes, I can understand that for all sorts of reasons, not least that playing at a higher level can reveal flaws, which then cause doubt.

But most people in most careers, including the majority of top sportsmen surely, don't find their focus messed up by having children. Or by "getting married" (I put it in quotes because for plenty of couples they were living with their partners beforehand anyway). If anything, I would have thought it healthy to have something else o focus on away from the game, as without that there is the danger of obsessing on issues within your game.

All of us are different, though, so perhaps Gus has observed one or two such cases where it does seem to be correlated and is generalising from that. If I knew that was my prospective employer's attitude, however, I might think twice about moving to that employer.

Adelaide

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
25 September, 2018 11:17
As Stuart Law is covering all three formats: I would hope that means being competitive in all three competitions.

He was certainly excellent in all competitions in his Lanky/Essex days.

This has certainly not been the case for the past ten years, when the white ball side was seen as an irritation and even before that.

The little bloke with the squeaky voice being the exception. He was shoved through the turnstile rapidly, for fear he might repeat his success.

A considerable saving was made with the T20 coach's departure. MX now need to be a little more prudent with the overseas selection(s), if they are still to be pursued. This was the general view on this site from earlier posts.

Haringey Racer (IP Logged)
25 September, 2018 12:37
Quote:
adelaide
Quote:
Jonathan Winsky

I found the comment very strange at the time and to me there is an element of covering of the backside about it. International call-ups, yes, I can understand that for all sorts of reasons, not least that playing at a higher level can reveal flaws, which then cause doubt.

But most people in most careers, including the majority of top sportsmen surely, don't find their focus messed up by having children. Or by "getting married" (I put it in quotes because for plenty of couples they were living with their partners beforehand anyway). If anything, I would have thought it healthy to have something else o focus on away from the game, as without that there is the danger of obsessing on issues within your game.

All of us are different, though, so perhaps Gus has observed one or two such cases where it does seem to be correlated and is generalising from that. If I knew that was my prospective employer's attitude, however, I might think twice about moving to that employer.

Adelaide

And there in a nutshell, is Stuart Law's first job. Get rid of the excuse culture.

Lifer (IP Logged)
25 September, 2018 14:14
A considerable saving was made with the T20 coach's departure. MX now need to be a little more prudent with the overseas selection(s), if they are still to be pursued. This was the general view on this site from earlier posts.

Unless we sign a high profile overseas batsman and two overseas T20 players available for the entire competition you will not see much improvement.

Our overseas recruitment has not been good since the days of Vinny and Lovett.

Lifer (IP Logged)
25 September, 2018 14:14

Unless we sign a high profile overseas batsman and two overseas T20 players available for the entire competition you will not see much improvement.

Seaxe Boy (IP Logged)
25 September, 2018 14:19
Quote:
Seaxe_Man
As Stuart Law is covering all three formats: I would hope that means being competitive in all three competitions.
He was certainly excellent in all competitions in his Lanky/Essex days.

This has certainly not been the case for the past ten years, when the white ball side was seen as an irritation and even before that.

The little bloke with the squeaky voice being the exception. He was shoved through the turnstile rapidly, for fear he might repeat his success.

I tend to agree with SM's take on this, especially over the overseas registrations. They should be considered if they are really necessary, similar to the Kolpak signings, rather than simply 'ticking a box'.

All new signings are a call on judgment but if the right target becomes available then consideration ought to be given.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
25 September, 2018 15:02
Quote:
Lifer

Exactly my point Lifer...

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
25 September, 2018 15:08
Quote:
Haringey Racer
Quote:
adelaide
Quote:
Jonathan Winsky

Adelaide

And there in a nutshell, is Stuart Law's first job. Get rid of the excuse culture.

Spot on HR. One excuse that can't be used this time....is the game(s) played at outgrounds...a good old favourite going back many years.. it's never because we did'nt play well enough...the ground was the problem..

adelaide (IP Logged)
25 September, 2018 15:39
Other excuses that won't come up for this season - Arrowgate, Ciderabad, dodgy covers, inability to play under floodlights at Lord's, bore draw pitches at Lord's...

It is a bit harder to eradicate an excuses culture if it comes from above rather than below.

I'm not "anti-Gus" but it would have been better to keep those thoughts to himself.

Adelaide

25 September, 2018 19:21
The reason why I am interested in Angus Fraser’s views on why Middlesex have declined since 2016 is because several members of the squad which won that season’s County Championship were upcoming youngsters or players approaching the peak of their career, which made it a surprise that some players’ performances have gone backwards rather than forwards.

The Evening Standard’s Will Macpherson is confident at Stuart Law’s appointment will beign success to the club.

01 October, 2018 18:23
Dawid Malan has spoken to ECB Reporters Network about looking forward to when Stuart Law begins working at Middlesex.

The article states that Law is our first head coach for 20 years to not have connections to the club, so clearly whoever wrote the article has forgotten about the brief spell at the club in 2007 of Richard Pybus, who I think is one of only two of our previous head coaches to have been appointed without having previously worked for the club in a playing or coaching capacity, with the other one being John Buchanan. Hopefully Law’s time at the club will work out far better than Pybus's and Buchanan’s.

adelaide (IP Logged)
01 October, 2018 20:07
Quote:

Fresh ideas in the spin department, yes (after all, Ollie is not a spin bowler at all, it seems), Macpherson also refers to fresh ideas in the wicketkeeping department. That's more controversial, given that Simmo has been pretty damn good over the years. He has not had a good season and needed to be rested but more or less writing him off seems very unfair.

Adelaide

03 October, 2018 11:56
We may have a solution to the no. 7 position which has been a hole for some years in Andersson. As for spinner, no solution visible.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net