cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

RIP JT Murray Middlesex legend

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Middlesex versus the Mexits.
Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
01 October, 2018 09:48
In a spare moment I came up with the following team of ex Middlesex players still playing at first class level up to to Test level.

Would be interesting to pit them against our current eleven in a four day game.

Difficult to call I would say and the result would be interesting.

Mexit Team.

1 Billy Godleman capt
2.Joe Denly
3.Cameron Steel
4.Peter Trego
5.Neil Dexter
6.Adam Rossington wk
7.Ryan Higgins
8.Tim Southee overseas
9.Chris Wright
10.Harry Podmore
11.Ravi Patel

12/13 men Josh Davey and Gareth Berg.

Bat pretty much all the way down. Plenty of all rounders 4 to 9. Spin twins Joe Denly and Ravi Patel.

Seam attack very good. Harry Podmore, Tim Southee and Chris Wright to open with back up from Ryan Higgins, Neil Dexter and if required for a few overs, Peter Trego.

And I would say, a fair fielding side to boot.

A bonus. Cameron Steel to supply leg breaks.

Re: Middlesex versus the Mexits.
Bagpuss (IP Logged)
01 October, 2018 10:20
Disappointed Josh Davey didn't make your starting XI. He's been brilliant this year (the first where he's played more than the role of a bit-part bowler, only picked in April or if enough people are injured). Only Craig Overton and Lewis Gregory bowled more overs and took more wickets, his 34 wickets came at an average of 25.35, with an economy rate under 3. Had a knack of coming back and taking important wickets in his 2nd and 3rd spells too.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
01 October, 2018 10:52
Thanks for the information Bagpuss and based on that, Josh a good call. Hard to drop my seamers who all had a good season.

But could slot him in for Patel which extends the batting further. Plus leave the spin with Joe and Cameron.

At this rate the Mexits will roll us over.

Denly not used by our bright sparks as a spinner, I hope has a good tour of Sri Lanka. Popular bloke in his time with the Middle.

adelaide (IP Logged)
01 October, 2018 11:06
IIRC Davey was seen as an all rounder here (and for Scotland) but he bats no 10 or 11 for Somerset. I suppose both the Overten can bat but he is also often behind Leach.

Adelaide

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
01 October, 2018 12:07
I don't think Ravi Patel qualifies (unless S_M knows something we don't) as although we have discarded him, no one else has picked him up yet.

So Josh Davey has to come in.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
01 October, 2018 13:59
I must admit chunky, that you have me over the proverbial barrel there with Ravi Patel.

I was a bit influenced by his parting tweet where he stated that he wanted to continue his first class career.

I can think of four or five who may be interested.

Should one of those be Glamorgan. Needs to look at that. Robert Croft is Head Coach.

Now there is a bloke who knows a lot about quality spin bowling who can give advice.

Nonesuch was available at The Middle even if they deigned interest.

Also Glammy have a spinners track at St Helens Swansea, where in 2009 I saw Croft and Cosker spin us to defeat despite 10 wickets for Udal in that match.

Now, will the Middle be playing there in 2019?

adelaide (IP Logged)
01 October, 2018 14:56
Quote:
Seaxe_Man
Also Glammy have a spinners track at St Helens Swansea, where in 2009 I saw Croft and Cosker spin us to defeat despite 10 wickets for Udal in that match.

I was there on what turned out to be the last day. I knew where I was when I heard someone say "Weather's tidy today". Match was lost by letting Glamorgan's second innings get to 50 odd before bringing on the spinners, not a mistake Glamorgan made. Also heard Croft shouting "Come on, Dai" as Jamie Dalrymple was bowling, which I found very amusing.

Annoyingly, it went on just long enough to ensure that I missed the last bus to Briton Ferry and had to splash out for a taxi. Tend to forget how lucky Londoners are with buses that actually run in the evenings.

A-dai-laide

Primrose Hillbilly (IP Logged)
02 October, 2018 07:34
Hmmm, ......... on a point of order, can we really claim some of these to be genuinely ours?

Sorry to be a bit pedantic, but ......

If homegrown and came up through the ranks - like Harry Podmore, Chris Wright, they're Middlesex originals. Joe Denly and Neil Dexter came from Kent and Joe went back there, and didn't Peter Tregogo back to Zummerzett after his spell with us?

Appreciate this is spoiling a bit of fun, but perhaps we might take a bit of comfort from how few of our alumni whom we let go are not taken up and become stars at their new berth?

Poddy rather rankles, but at the time of his departure, I said good for him, he wants to play first team cricket, he's backed himself, and now he's back in Div 1.

hdo (IP Logged)
02 October, 2018 07:43
If we're looking for Middlesex originals, might I offer Boyd Rankin as an alternative option?

adelaide (IP Logged)
02 October, 2018 11:10
Stuart Poynter played a game for us, I think.

I would have picked last year's Iceman ahead of this year's Podmore. Not so sure about this year's Berg.

Adelaide

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
02 October, 2018 12:39
Primrose H. I specified ex Middle not necessarily originals. In Trego's case, I think Mrs Trego called him back.

Joe Denly was let go by our hierarchy. They saw no potential.

7 out of 11 originals, so not bad.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
02 October, 2018 12:55
Quote:
adelaide
Quote:
Seaxe_Man

I was there on what turned out to be the last day. I knew where I was when I heard someone say "Weather's tidy today". Match was lost by letting Glamorgan's second innings get to 50 odd before bringing on the spinners, not a mistake Glamorgan made. Also heard Croft shouting "Come on, Dai" as Jamie Dalrymple was bowling, which I found very amusing.

Annoyingly, it went on just long enough to ensure that I missed the last bus to Briton Ferry and had to splash out for a taxi. Tend to forget how lucky Londoners are with buses that actually run in the evenings.

A-dai-laide

On day three Croft and firstly AJ Shantry, then Cosker ran like Usain Bolt for every single they could garner: aware that a low scoring match was on.

They added 53 for the last two wickets. And so it proved, Glammy winning by 22 runs.

There you go boyo. Croft and Cosker took 15 wickets in the match.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
02 October, 2018 13:08
Quote:
hdo
If we're looking for Middlesex originals, might I offer Boyd Rankin as an alternative option?

Technically you are correct hdo. However I don't think he played for the MX first eleven.

I saw him once at Richmond, with the seconds, donkeys years ago. Shortly after the then Ireland coach, Mike Hendrick, persuaded him that Derby was a better bet.

After a short spell there, he moved to Warwick.

Up to 2018 he had played 103 matches including one Test. Wicket haul 334 wickets including a few at Uxbridge, alleged to be a no no for bowlers.

So, I guess Mr Rankin is fairly happy before and if he retires to the family farm in Northern Ireland.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
02 October, 2018 13:14
Quote:
adelaide
Stuart Poynter played a game for us, I think.
I would have picked last year's Iceman ahead of this year's Podmore. Not so sure about this year's Berg.

Adelaide

Yes Adelaide I think you are correct. Born Hammersmith close to the Mighty Whites Ground. Listed as Middlesex in 2010.

hdo (IP Logged)
02 October, 2018 13:20
Quote:
Seaxe_Man
Quote:
hdo

Technically you are correct hdo. However I don't think he played for the MX first eleven.

You're right, although I'm absolutely astonished to find that out. Obviously I was aware that Rankin's career hadn't exactly taken off at Middlesex, but I was convinced that he'd played a decent number of games in the first XI. Memory playing tricks on me there.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
02 October, 2018 13:37
The other Kent player that you mentioned Primrose H. To whit Neil Dexter.

I spoke to him in the Tavern when news that he was released was general knowledge.

He was to put it mildly, rather miffed that MX had let him go.

I did say to him by way of consolation. Neil, you have a MX record which will stay on the books.

He scored a century in each innings versus Kent. We still lost the match by 10 wickets but it prolonged the match into day 4.

Match staged at Uxbridge, September 9.10,11,12 2009. Dex's scores 146 and 119. Not done too many times by MX batsmen and am glad to say I saw both innings.

tallliman (IP Logged)
02 October, 2018 17:48
Dexter is one of 29 instances (less numbers of players) where someone has scored 2 tons in a game.

Is Compton eligible yet? ;-)

Primrose Hillbilly (IP Logged)
02 October, 2018 18:08
Dex was a very good cricketer indeed, and I have to believe that he was responsible for Joe Denly gracing our ranks for a few seasons as well.

Were they not reported as being seen in the same Canterbury pub around that time, which was thought as significant on here.

It rather retrieved the situation, given that we had lost a couple of seamers to Kent before Dex came to us. Tim somebody or other........???? Help me, please ..... a fringe first team player .....

Great partnership breaker bowler, who could really swing the ball, and the way he moved through the gears at Wantage Road towards a ton in 2014 was as smooth an acceleration as I ever saw.

Does this mean we have Ed Smith's Blue Skies thinking to combat as well, as the brains behind the Mexits' strategies and ruses?

hdo (IP Logged)
03 October, 2018 09:11
Quote:
Primrose Hillbilly
It rather retrieved the situation, given that we had lost a couple of seamers to Kent before Dex came to us. Tim somebody or other........???? Help me, please ..... a fringe first team player .....

Racking my brains here, but can't think of any names! Only Tim Bloomfield, who was long gone by then.

adelaide (IP Logged)
03 October, 2018 09:32
Simon Cook? Though he scores poorly on the "Tim" front and timing is probably out.

Adelaide

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net