cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

RIP JT Murray Middlesex legend

Our Glass Now That Little Less Fuller
Primrose Hillbilly (IP Logged)
04 October, 2018 11:14
JK leaving and heading for Hampshire.

If you can bowl at 90 mph, and can control it, you're on the England radar, it was said. He always went at over 4, and never ran through a side - 'nuff said. Batting rather indisciplined, I thought.

Probably saw the writing on the wall with Martin Andersson and Ethan breaking through, and concluded Tom Helm could not not always be injured, Toby possibly coming back, and the dependables, Tim and 'Arry doing so well.

A bloke's got to make the most of his opportunities.

Good luck to him.

Re: Our Glass Now That Little Less Fuller
adelaide (IP Logged)
04 October, 2018 11:28
Not to mention competition from Tom Barber as the erratic speedster...

Adelaide

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
04 October, 2018 11:51
28 years old, and we hadn't capped him (although that was due to him missing a season and a half with injuries).

Definitely need to sign a replacement for him.

Even if TRJ, Finn, and Helm are fully fit next year, that only leaves Harris, Murtagh (possibly in last year) and Bamber, who will be at uni for the first part of the season. (oh, and Barber, but I'm not sure we can rely on him making the grade)

Andersson might be better suited to batting at 6, and being half a bowler (when selected).

04 October, 2018 11:58
I'd like to see whom the more knowledgeable among our motley crew can recommend from the Second's first, Chunky.

There must be - as you imply - be something behind leaving now, after 18 months rehab with our backroom behind him.

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
04 October, 2018 12:05
The only seamer in the seconds that I'm aware of is Blake Cullen, but I think he is only about 16 or 17. He took 20 or so wickets for the seconds this year.

As for James Fuller, I suppose he reasoned that if everyone was fit it would be Harris, TRJ, Murtagh and Finn, with Helm, Bamber and Andersson in reserve. Better to go if someone made him an offer, but we could still do with a replacement, as injuries, when the come, tend to come in two's and three's simultaneously.

WayOutWest (IP Logged)
04 October, 2018 12:25
I'm a touch peeved about Fuller leaving. He played a lot towards the end of the season and even with Bamber et al coming through, will still be missed.

adelaide (IP Logged)
04 October, 2018 12:42
Quote:
WayOutWest
I'm a touch peeved about Fuller leaving. He played a lot towards the end of the season and even with Bamber et al coming through, will still be missed.

Impact on the white ball squad even greater.

Adelaide

hantssabre (IP Logged)
04 October, 2018 13:00
Reece Topley is available!

WayOutWest (IP Logged)
04 October, 2018 15:49
I mentioned Topley on another thread. Its a big if, but IF he could keep fit he would be a decent signing. Judging on his comments yesterday, he has another club to play for/sit on treatment table for.

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
04 October, 2018 19:57
I anticipated that it would be announced round about now that James F and Nick Compton would be leaving Middlesex, and it has turned out that I have been proven correct. However, the ‘James F’ I was thinking of was Franklin, not Fuller. I hope that the absence of any announcement that Franklin is departing does not imply he will be staying!

The loss of Fuller is a big blow to the club, as he was one of our most skillful bowlers in limited-overs matches, had proved himself able to contribute in County Championship matches, and could play vital innings with his batting. One of his finest performances was in a Championship match v Somerset at Taunton in 2016 when he took six wickets and scored 93 (coming in with us 24 behind with two wickets left and taking us to a 145-run lead) and 36 off 18 (helping us achieve our target of 302 in 45.4 overs). That win made me believe that we would go to win the title, especially as it came a week after we beat Yorkshire at Scarborough and came without Tim Murtagh, Steven Finn or Toby Roland-Jones.

The fact we have many other fast bowlers may have been a factor in Fuller’s decision to leave, and it consoles my disappointment at his departure, but of course it is not often that all of our fast bowlers are fit, available and in form at the same time, so I am certain that Fuller would have played plenty of matches for us in 2019 had he stayed and been fit.

The articles I have read in recent weeks suggest that we will not be making any signings this winter. However, with Compton, Fuller, Ravi Patel and surely Franklin all leaving, it would be nice if there could be some traffic in the opposite direction.

04 October, 2018 20:38
Of our recent imports, Jonathan, I'd say that Ollie and Frankin look comparatively stellar, Voges a bit ho-hum, and JK has rather disappointed both with his performances overall, imho, and his loyalty. We got him back to fitness, and he's burgered orrff now.

We are rather lucky in that we had Morgone qualified to play for England, and Stirling - (not really an import when he started, but he may be now) has been good in a terrible limited overs team, but very hit and miss (more miss this year) in the CC.

I won't honour Vettori's temporary recruits with a mention here, as they never played first class cricket for the Middle.

I would like to think that Stuart Law may have someone in mind, and recall my initial reaction to the news that we had got Hilton Cartwright. I thought that he might bring with him the typically positive attitude that an Aussie usually exudes on the cricket field, along with some good performances. Hands up. I was wrong.

However, if Angus was to say, "We're going to give our current team, and the guys that did so well for us in the Seconds all the chances we can to take us forward in 2019, as we believe in them", I would be delighted.

Darren Gosling (IP Logged)
04 October, 2018 22:09
Very disappointed re JK Fuller's departure.
Definitely one of our stronger white ball players (and we really don't have that many).
His performances with the red ball looked promising this season.
TRJ, Finn and Helm have very poor injury records and at their current rate likely to play a season between them. Murts is almost at the end and will want to play for Ireland as much as he can before retiring. With Bamber still at Uni the loss of Higgins, Podmore and Fuller I think leaves us a bit light on the bowling front. We can't expect James Harris to carry the bowling every season like this year....

Seaxe Boy (IP Logged)
05 October, 2018 08:50
Fuller's departure may have been unexpected but I wish him well with Hampshire. He showed some of his undoubted potential whilst with us. This included setting a new club record t20 bowling record last season.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
15 October, 2018 13:34
Our glass certainly is less full with the departure of JK Fuller. Reduces our white ball stock back from 3.5 players with the requisite skills to 2.5.

He was recruited primarily as a white ball player but performed usefully with the red ball as well.

His 71 versus Warwickshire turned that game our way and essentially was the match winning knock.

For me, the first player I have seen seen since Tyron Henderson of that type in MX colours.

Aggressive and wholehearted. Not made best use of in T20 by MX. Will remember your sixfer at the Ageus Bowl which caught Hampshire's eye.

A cricket career is finite, so good luck for the future except natch when playing MX.

That in 2019 will be in white ball comps only.

More regular Div 1 cricket with more cash makes that a no-brainer. And only one down.

snicko (IP Logged)
16 October, 2018 07:06
Wise move by James Fuller. Personally (and I know I’m not alone in this) I’m quite pleased to see him leave as his on field demeanour left a lot to be desired. Undoubtedly has some talent but as his skipper opined “is away with the fairies”.

Wouldn’t get near our Championship team with TRJ/Helm fit. Has some merit as a pinch hitter in white ball cricket, but his bowling is average at best and seems bereft of any tactical nous between his ears.

16 October, 2018 10:16
We heard later in the Forum Day, Snicko, that he's also going to become a father for the first time, so needed even more to follow the money, and try to secure his future.

Good luck to him.

However, yes, I agree, not one of the great tactical thinkers or even capable of making himself knuckle down and playing an innings when the situation required it. The silliest thing was, as soon as he got himself out, he regretted the shot, as the replays from the fixed camera showed all too often.

snicko (IP Logged)
16 October, 2018 10:58
I fully accept that living in London with it’s property prices is a challenge - however, in this instance, it appears that Mr Bransgrove valued Fuller’s services higher than Mr Fraser.

I have no knowledge of the wage structure at our club - but I’d imagine that our higher earners would be well remunerated in comparison with most counties (possibly with Surrey and Notts as notable exceptions).

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
16 October, 2018 18:21
Quote:
Primrose Hillbilly
We heard later in the Forum Day, Snicko, that he's also going to become a father for the first time, so needed even more to follow the money, and try to secure his future.
Good luck to him.

However, yes, I agree, not one of the great tactical thinkers or even capable of making himself knuckle down and playing an innings when the situation required it. The silliest thing was, as soon as he got himself out, he regretted the shot, as the replays from the fixed camera showed all too often.

As I recall PH, Fuller was signed from Glaws as a white ball player, to add to our thin resources in that area.

Glaws have a far better pedigree in one day cricket vis a vis MX. A bogey team to us in T20 where have but a single win against them.

As it occurred unfortunately, he suffered a bad injury whilst with us, so we didnt get the service that we expected.

On a recent trip, third day, of the match at Bristol. The Glaws fans said, unconfirmed, that JK had bought a house in Bristol and they expected him to return.

This proved to be false, but I understand that his good lady is a Bristolian. So makes sense.

The fact that our then coaches, Messrs Scott and Vettori, did'nt make best use of Fuller, is their problem and not his.

The latter, Uncle Dan, did admit on Audioboom, that ('he missed a trick by not promoting JK') in one of our few winnable T20 games.

At the end of the day Uncle Gus was outbid by Uncle Rod. Hope it works out for him, as for me, he did ok in all the games that I saw.

And PH. Most dismissed batters on Sky generally swish their bats as they trudge off, playing the shot again.

Usually accompanied by a remark from Nick Knight as to how they should have played it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net