cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

RIP JT Murray Middlesex legend

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The Latest Forum Middlesex
Middlesex till we die (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 18:46
What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/10/2018 09:52 by BarmierKev.

Re: The Latest Forum Middlesex
chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 19:34
Thank you for such a detailed report, Jonathan.

Interesting that Stuart Law will report directly to Richard Goatley.

I suppose this could be construed as Gus losing a bit if power, but if you have just recruited a head coach who was in charge of the West Indies, then in order to make the job attractive you need to make it seem like the 'number one' cricket job, whereas if he had reported to Gus it would be like saying, 'You've only got the number 2 job on the coaching staff'.

Did Richard Scott get his round of applause?

I could deduce Gus wasn't happy at Fuller's defection by a complete lack of any sort of statement along the lines of thanking him for his efforts, and wishing him well at his new county.

Sometimes it's not what you do say, it's what you don't say!

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 20:08
JW,you have covered the forum very well.
We all exited to the right for a glass of wine and a social time,then a visit to The Tavern to carry on.
Fixtures out in November!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2018 20:11 by BeefyRoberts.

07 October, 2018 20:13
Thank you Jonathan for such a detailed report.

Pretty poor decision not to have any players there. At minimum the captain should attend. Oversensitive or what.

Also interesting the reporting structure. Who did Richard Scott report into?

07 October, 2018 20:40
In the Richard Scott era I think Gus Fraser normally attended the first two days of a championship match (so could keep an eye on Scott) and then spent the rest of the week on other matters (either following the progerss of kids in the second XI or academy, or dealing with contract negotiations, trying to sign new players etc.

That set up made sense, but someone of Law's stature probably doesn't want/need Gus looking over his shoulder half the time, so it looks like Gus's resposibilities may have changed slightly.

Lifer (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 00:06
Thanks for a very detailed report JW. Much appreciated as its the first end of season Forum I have missed in years. From the photo it looks like it was a good attendance.

Again many thanks

Al the panther (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 00:48
How many people attended? Was Sunday morning a popular time?

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 08:26
Attendence for forum?
Not full by any means,I would guess at maybe 50%,although not accurate of course!

adelaide (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 10:29
I'm trying to get my head round the thought that a new ground could host some of the minor MCC matches, leaving Lord's free to accommodate Middlesex. Seems a bit back-to-front, that. Take it to the extreme and you could have a Middlesex-funded stadium that Middlesex never play at!

The Hundred does indeed pose an existential threat to Middlesex. In some ways playing at Lord's seems to me to give some cover, as MCC members would not be happy if there was much less cricket being played there. I appreciate that having our own ground would give us more control over the revenue generated but would that revenue generated be enough?

we are not the only London sports team with ground difficulties. I watched the (alleged) highlights of the Million Pound Game last night and it seems that the London Broncos play at Ealing Trailfinders and that the ground is some way short of Super League status. I saw them play a few times at Craven Cottage in an earlier incarnation; perhaps they will find a suitable football stadium again.

Adelaide

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 11:10
Thanks for sharing Jonathan. No mention of Compo?

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 14:02
Thanks for the detailed report JW while I was suffering pain elsewhere.

An interesting new feature was the round of applause.

The loudest clapping should have come from the MX white ball trophy cabinet....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2018 14:05 by Seaxe_Man.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 14:27
Quote:
adelaide
I'm trying to get my head round the thought that a new ground could host some of the minor MCC matches, leaving Lord's free to accommodate Middlesex. Seems a bit back-to-front, that. Take it to the extreme and you could have a Middlesex-funded stadium that Middlesex never play at!
The Hundred does indeed pose an existential threat to Middlesex. In some ways playing at Lord's seems to me to give some cover, as MCC members would not be happy if there was much less cricket being played there. I appreciate that having our own ground would give us more control over the revenue generated but would that revenue generated be enough?

we are not the only London sports team with ground difficulties. I watched the (alleged) highlights of the Million Pound Game last night and it seems that the London Broncos play at Ealing Trailfinders and that the ground is some way short of Super League status. I saw them play a few times at Craven Cottage in an earlier incarnation; perhaps they will find a suitable football stadium again.

Adelaide.

At the recent governance forum, The Rt Hon Tim Lamb made it clear that all counties are expected to provide permanent facilities for ' disabled and women's cricket'. We have none such, nor I suspect do the other 17.
'.
Hence the need for a new ground with two playing areas to accommodate that. As a back stop it may also be used as a first team venue during the 100.

Minor MCC matches sound like an add on to the main course.

Also, so long as a conference facility is included which could double up for hospitality and be hired out year round as other counties already do: this would provide MX with the long lost 5th revenue stream: and a hidden bonus.

Could also provide a fresh stream of new members.

AS I pointed out at the 2015 AGM. The loss of the advertising revenue (in 2000) which was worth 50grand a season during the nineties, now represents a income fall of around £900,000 in the 21st century.

Significant dough.

When the 100 kicks off, likely the ECB 100 sponsors will expect prime position for their wares to be advertised at the 8 100 grounds.

Adelaide

dingy bags (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 16:54
JW, an excellent and detailed summary.

Just a few random points from me:

all the other end of season forums (fora?) I have been to were much better attended;

the round of applause for Scott was very half-hearted;

apart from the four we know about (Compton - no other mention - Franklin, Patel and Fuller), everyone else is expected to be around next year;

no particular targets for recruiting at the moment;

the negotiations for the new deal (2020 >winking smiley will be very tricky;

the ECB are behind our proposals for a new ground, for which funding will be available that might not in a few years time;

we are definitely going to go ahead with a new ground (unlike the last time, with the arrangements at Radlett);

RG now convinced the 100 will go ahead and if it fails it will be a disaster for English cricket;

RG also cannot see Lord's hosting only 4 matches every August, with the advent of drop-in or hybrid pitches and electronic advertising boards.

Happy to answer any other questions from those unable to attend, so post away.

adelaide (IP Logged)
09 October, 2018 15:44
"No particular targets for recruiting at the moment".

If true that worries me. If we sign nobody that will be for the third year running, and with four leaving. If we really don't know who we might be looking for, that would suggest a lack of imagination and we would be unlikely to find what we need.

OK, it could be that finance precludes signings. Or it could be that we have a very good idea of who we want but are keeping it under the radar, as happened with Mr Law. But other counties have been doing their business over the last couple of months; domestic moves do tend to be sorted out in autumn.

Adelaide

rod/ed (IP Logged)
09 October, 2018 16:00
Why was Mike Atherton part of the interview panel for new coach?

09 October, 2018 16:03
I suppose Athers has some Middlesex connection, as his lad is in our academy, and has already played some matches for the 2's.

Maybe we just wanted another independent opinion.

dingy bags (IP Logged)
09 October, 2018 17:34
Apparently, the original panel were happy with Law but wanted an external view. Atherton happy to help and also convinced SL was the outstanding choice.

On recruitment front, wasn't it announced when Law was appointed that he would be given licence to bring in a batsman if he was sure the right man was out there? Or have I dreamed that up?

Ebor Gooner (IP Logged)
09 October, 2018 23:27
I understand the desire for some new players to be recruited. But who would we go for? On paper, Gubbins, Robson, Eskinazi, and Malan seem more than adequate as a batting line up. Murtagh, Harris, Roland - Jenkins, Finn and Bamber seem a decent bowling line up. We don't seem to bother with spin (like many others) so Rayner seems ok for this. That leaves the all rounder and wicket keeper position. Is there anyone better than our incumbents? Who are only young, and likely to improve.

So who, if anyone, should we be attempting to sign?

WayOutWest (IP Logged)
10 October, 2018 08:53
I would hope we sign a batsman who can bowl spin. I've said for years we should sign Sean Williams of Zimbabwe. Not the marquee signing most crave, but would improve our team in all 3 forms of the game.

10 October, 2018 10:44
Quote:
Ebor Gooner
I understand the desire for some new players to be recruited. But who would we go for? On paper, Gubbins, Robson, Eskinazi, and Malan seem more than adequate as a batting line up. Murtagh, Harris, Roland - Jenkins, Finn and Bamber seem a decent bowling line up. We don't seem to bother with spin (like many others) so Rayner seems ok for this. That leaves the all rounder and wicket keeper position. Is there anyone better than our incumbents? Who are only young, and likely to improve.
So who, if anyone, should we be attempting to sign?
Roland-Jenkins? Good old Roly would certain solve our spinning problems. Unfortunately he went to the great white pavilion in the sky in1995.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net