cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

RIP JT Murray Middlesex legend

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Re: The Latest Forum Middlesex
adelaide (IP Logged)
10 October, 2018 14:33
[quote freddie tittlemouse][/quote]
Roland-Jenkins? Good old Roly would certain solve our spinning problems. Unfortunately he went to the great white pavilion in the sky in1995.[/quote]

Unfortunately Ollie didn't take many more CC wickets last year than the deceased Roland-Jenkins would have done. Yes, I know - the CC2 pitches - but we would certainly need a penetrative spinner if we go up. Spinners also necessary in one day matches, though Stirling and Malan can provide some support to Sowter (assuming Ollie is not picked).

I'd taken the reference to a batsman as relating to the signing of an overseas player. There doesn't seem to be any evidence of inter-county action involving Middlesex. Contrast the proactivity of Warwickshire, Notts, Yorkshire... Though having said that, one of their signings - Matt Pillans - has taken no more CC1 wickets in three years than said Roland-Jenkins would have done.

Adelaide

Ebor Gooner (IP Logged)
11 October, 2018 22:03
Oops, Freudian slip there as I subliminally wished for a spinner. Of course I meant Roland-Jones!

johnph (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 10:06
Did Governance come up at all, following the consultation, especially given the reporting line of the Coach to the CEO and changes to the Director of Cricket's responsibilities?

Primrose Hillbilly (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 11:53
Not in as much as there was a question specifically about how this impacted the corporate governance of the club, johnmph.

The Goat presented it as a decision that had been taken, with the acceptance of all concerned, such that the Coach was accountable and reported to him directly. I believe this was seen as a way of ensuring that any possible hard words about anything were had by a person not directly involved in the cricket, but by the CEO of the overall concern.

I quite like it. The Goat is now, in a way, responsible for ensuring the results go the right way, and is entitled to ask why not. Angus will not "not know" what is going on on the field. OK, so The Goat could have the "how many Test runs have you scored?" retort flung at him, but I think things have moved on a bit since that was first employed. The business of Middlesex County Cricket Club is cricket, so that makes the CEO accountable for it. GOOD - imho.

Also worth mentioning that it was stated that some fairly penal break clauses had been put in Stuart Law's contract, such that if he wanted to leave early etc..... it would cost somebody else quite a lot.

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 12:24
As originally conceived, the idea was Gus Fraser was the headmaster, responsible for all aspects of the school (club), and the boss of the teachers (coaches) with the teachers (coaches) in charge of teaching the pupils (players).

Like a lot of headmasters Gus might take the odd lesson here and there (coaching sessions) as a way of keeping his hand in, but it was never really his job to actively coach the first team. He was supposed to move around, spending the first two days watching the championship, and the rest of the time the 2's or academy (so thereby keeping an eye on all the coaches, to make sure they were doing their job effectively).

But it was quite common on day one of a match to see him, Richard Scott, and the captain (maybe a bowler or two as well) pontificating as to what to do if they won the toss. That's not to say his view had to prevail (captain's decision), but nevertheless he was out there adding his experience to the input. Will he still do that sort of thing, I wonder, or would Law consider that treading on his territory?

As far as I know with T20 although Gus was usually present, I think he just stood back and let Vettori get on with it (not a bad tactic, as it means he can disassociate himself from any blame).

I assume Gus will continue to attend championship matches, but will stand well back, and not get involved in any team talks.

Primrose Hillbilly (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 12:46
Yes, Chunky.

Gus did say he spends quite a bit of his time walking round the ground (at CC matches, as the others are a bit more occupied), and is ready to engage with us at these times.

TOP TIER PAVILION (IP Logged)
18 October, 2018 18:26
GREAT REPORT JW.
VERY DISAPPOINTED AT THE LOSS OF JAMES FULLER.

TOP TIER PAVILION (IP Logged)
18 October, 2018 18:26
GREAT REPORT JW.
VERY DISAPPOINTED AT THE LOSS OF JAMES FULLER.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net