cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Let the 2019 season begin

Premature celebration
adelaide (IP Logged)
15 October, 2018 21:50
For anyone who hasn't seen it, Freddie Burns's failure to touch down in Saturday's rugby is worth watching, unless you are a Bath supporter.

It got me thinking about cricketing equivalents. Discounting what happens with no balls, the closest I could get was not really celebration, more taking for granted, and that was Graham Barlow walking a single in a one day international and Rodney March throwing down the stumps at the bowler's end.

Any other offers?

Adelaide

Re: Premature celebration
BarmierKev (IP Logged)
15 October, 2018 22:39
Can't remember who we were playing and when but recall in a test match Paul Downtown celebrating a regulation keepers catch and spilling the ball.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

hdo (IP Logged)
16 October, 2018 10:41
Herschelle Gibbs!!

Link here, in the unlikely event that anyone doesn't recall the incident in question... [www.cricket.com.au]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/10/2018 10:44 by hdo.

Bagpuss (IP Logged)
16 October, 2018 10:45
Murali run out when he grounded his bat for the single that gave Sanga his hundred, then walked back down the pitch to congratulate him.

Also Ian Bell walking off for tea when he thought he'd hit the ball to the boundary (he hadn't and was run out; controversially reinstated over tea)

Primrose Hillbilly (IP Logged)
16 October, 2018 10:50
I think that was in the series vs Australia when Gower captained, Kev.

Fozzie (IP Logged)
16 October, 2018 14:23
Quote:
Primrose Hillbilly
I think that was in the series vs Australia when Gower captained, Kev.

My (possibly shaky) memory from that 1985 series was of Mike Gatting fielding close in to Alan Border, throwing up in celebration a routine bat-pad chance off Emburey or Edmonds, and fumbling the ball to the ground as it came down. I think Border went on to make a match-winning century in Australia's only win of the series.

Conversely, I recall from a few years ago a Surrey player taking a brilliant diving catch at square leg and throwing the ball high in the air in celebration while he was still horizontal and in mid-air. Rather surprisingly, the umpire allowed the catch to stand.

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
18 October, 2018 19:33
Pakistan’s Azhar Ali was today run out v Australia after he and partner Asad Shafiq incorrectly assumed that a shot had reached the boundary:

hdo (IP Logged)
19 October, 2018 20:32
I don't see how there could be any complaints about this, although plenty of people online have claimed that it was bad sportsmanship to effect the run-out. It's sheer laziness and ineptitude on the part of the batsmen. Why should the fielders not take their chance to make the most of it? As far as I'm aware, they didn't give the batsmen any reason to think the ball had gone for four, nor did they try to conceal the fact that they were attempting to take the wicket.

Mr. Trellis. (IP Logged)
28 October, 2018 16:04
In the first Test Match in 1948, at Nottingham, the Australian batsman Sid Barnes uprooted a stump and ran off the field in the belief that he had hit the winning run. He hadn't, and had to return his "trophy" to the middle. Lindsay Hassett then hit the wining run.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/10/2018 18:02 by Mr. Trellis..

Seaxe Boy (IP Logged)
30 October, 2018 02:44
The former England captain Mike Atherton never scored a Test hundred at Lord's. On one occasion, he was dismissed on 99 after slipping twice before finishing his run.

Mr. Trellis. (IP Logged)
23 November, 2018 20:02
I don't think there was any premature celebration by Atherton in this case. Yes, he slipped and was run out by Merv Hughes's throw to Ian Healy. Mike Gatting was Atherton's partner.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net