cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

RIP JT Murray Middlesex legend

Nursery End rebuild
BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
23 October, 2018 13:43
So,next season,Compton and Edrich Stands are being rebuilt one by one,think after the Ashes game,or world cup final?
Which one is first?
Chatting with another member,presume the nursery end comes out of action,as two new wickets are being dug on the tavern side of square to take nets.(on twitter)
I imagine walking behind the stands will be stopped with all the work that takes place.
Would that put North Gate out of use?
Lorries have to enter somewhere,I can only see the option being North Gate.
Will there be a time span that construction and demolition works can take place?I remember the media centre being built,and during one day game vs Hampshire (I think),welding and grinding took place during the game,made a great echo chamber!
So many questions,so much to see change.

Re: Nursery End rebuild
adelaide (IP Logged)
23 October, 2018 14:04
When the Warner Stand was being redeveloped, there was some sort of metal roadway laid down which lorries used. I think they came in via one of the gates on the south side. Presumably they could do the same for the redevelopment of the Nursery End.

I did wonder during that development whether extra runs should be awarded for a direct hit on one of the lorries. In the days that Saracens played at Bramley Road, a direct hit on a passing double deck bus usually got a cheer, though not as big a cheer as for a Clinton McGregor sidestep, which caused a minor earthquake in the area.

The top tier of the Compton or Edrich has always been my favourite spot, as you can get close to behind the bowler's arm without having to obey a dress code. I do hope that it will still be available for county matches once done.

Adelaide

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
23 October, 2018 18:46
It seems that the rebuild of the Compton and Edrich stands will begin after Lord’s hosts the second Test of the 2019 Ashes, with the intention being that seats will be added for the 2020 season (the target date will probably be the first major match of the season) and full completion happening in 2021. As the requirements of those attending Middlesex’s County Championship matches probably don’t feature particularly highly in MCC’s thoughts, there is no point in me searching Google in the hope of finding articles which say how the redevelopment will impact ground access for our Championship matches. The Lord’s Test in next year’s Ashes is scheduled for 14th-18th August, so I doubt we will have more than a couple of Championship matches at Lord’s after that point next season.

In May (I think while I was at my cousin’s wedding in Italy, which is why I have only now discovered this article), the Daily Mail’s Charles Sale reported that the Nursery Ground will be unavailable for six years, as I think the Nursery Ground will be moved further towards Wellington Road, with the Nursery Pavilion being demolished. We will have to see how this will impact players’ practice.

It would be inconvenient if these developments at the Nursery end of Lord’s make entry harder for those coming from St. John’s Wood station, so hopefully it won’t be too bad.

dingy bags (IP Logged)
24 October, 2018 12:12
This all ties in, to an extent, with our proposed plans for a new outground. MCC play a few fixtures (corporate events, etc) on The Nursery and have also realised some of the games on the main square (MCC V Hong Kong etc) might not be able to be accommodated on the main pitch in the future set-up.

Hence, we could, possibly, be landlords for MCC at our new ground, on some sort of reciprocal basis.

adelaide (IP Logged)
24 October, 2018 12:23
DB

But is there a realistic prospect of having a second ground up and running by 2019, when the work is due to start? Seems a bit unlikely.

Adelaide

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
24 October, 2018 15:04
Let the MCC play at Uxbridge.

Teach them a lesson, and a bit of a shock to their egg and bacon system!

(Sm106)

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
24 October, 2018 16:33
The Compton stand will be last to be rebuilt. It is hanging on for a benefit even though It will be redundant

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
24 October, 2018 16:45
It can have its benefit on the clear understanding that no one must sit in it, and it mustn't issue any public statements regarding why no one is allowed to sit in it.

dingy bags (IP Logged)
24 October, 2018 18:33
Adelaide

No, there is no chance of using a new ground until well into the next decade. I realise the timings don't fit. But, if it really is to be until 2025 before the Nursery comes back into full use, there would still be some overlap.

As Beefy has pointed out, MCC are at this moment putting two extra strips, for practice, on the edge of the existing square. Clearly, this is to offset the loss of some facilities, for practice, on the Nursery. Cross Arrows not expected to happen at Lord's in 2019, or beyond, presumably.

With hindsight, which always brings huge dollops of wisdom, it would have been better to go for a new ground when we invested in Radlett.

tbl (IP Logged)
24 October, 2018 18:49
Fixtures are normally announced in late November so not long to wait.

Presumably there will be a lot fewer matches at Lords and more at the outgrounds?

CC games don't exactly get large attendances so closing Compton and Edrich stands for them is not a big deal.

2020 is more interesting if the work cannot be competed in time for the T20's and Test matches.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
25 October, 2018 15:54
Quote:
chunkyinargyll
Let the MCC play at Uxbridge.
Teach them a lesson, and a bit of a shock to their egg and bacon system!

(Sm106)

Oh I dunno chunky. Could be some features for the Spanish Tie fellas. In no particular order.

Can drive there in their cars and park up for three/five quid a throw. Pretty reasonable. Plenty of space and good access both arriving and departing.

Dress code. Jacket and Tie and collars on everything not required for Pavilion entry.

Need to keep your shirt on though.

On T20 days: a decent slab of fish and chips available for about 7 quid. ( Lords Food Village will charge about 15 quid if available). Burgers like wise.

Plus the MCC open work sandals available in the Lords Shop with alternating red and yellow strapssad smileybut cannot be worn in the Lords Pavilion with or without socks on).

Could be acceptable in the Uxbridge Pavilion but they may draw the line at without socks

U1 and U2 buses drop you right outside.

Adelaide I believe you are correct. The East Gate was used I seem to remember for access during the Warner rebuild for builders lorries.

However, I suspect Beefy is right regarding the Nursery End access. Health and Safety Regulation etc...

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
25 October, 2018 16:01
Quote:
adelaide
DB
But is there a realistic prospect of having a second ground up and running by 2019, when the work is due to start? Seems a bit unlikely.

Adelaide

The word from the inside is: could be up and running by 2021 (drop in wickets??) Two sites now being evaluated.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
27 October, 2018 10:48
When the demolition of the Compton Stand commences I can see...

1. the seats being carefully removed to storage and either reuse or sale.

The Wealdstone Ground has two stands populated with ex Lords seats. These were acquired by their predecessors at the ground, Ruislip Manor FC who paid a quid a seat.

2. I would suspect that the spiral staircase will be carefully recovered also for reuse or sale.

They are rare birds with I suspect plenty of interested parties.

The remainder is then 1999 concrete for the disposal of. Railings I guess may be kept or more likely, make it to the scrap iron merchants.

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
27 October, 2018 16:06
As the Warner rebuild I imagine Roy,seats put into storage and re-used when ready.
Can't see stairs being used,probably not really compliant to health and safety rules.
As for the rest,all crumbled up and re-used elsewhere.
Bit like the ballast removed from railway lines when replaced,that is used on a lot of bases for new road projects.
Would there be new eating/drinking outlets,built into the stands,to offer more space that is used for the food outlets at big games at the moment?
Hopefully,the banners showing old players are re-used as well.

Rogers and Out (IP Logged)
28 October, 2018 23:57
Quote:
Seaxe_Man
The Wealdstone Ground has two stands populated with ex Lords seats. These were acquired by their predecessors at the ground, Ruislip Manor FC who paid a quid a seat.
As the man who bought those seats, I can confirm that RMFC paid £3 per seat rather than £1. If memory serves me correct we bought 400.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net