cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

RIP JT Murray Middlesex legend

Jack Davies signs pro contract
chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
25 October, 2018 15:16
[www.middlesexccc.com]

Welcome aboard, Jack.

He is someone who has been coached by Dan Housego.

[www.danhousegocricketcoaching.com]

Re: Jack Davies signs pro contract
dingy bags (IP Logged)
25 October, 2018 16:23
Interesting. Only seen him once but was impressed. As it stands, we now have three keepers: Simmo, Robbie White and "Young Jack". I really hope this means we do not use Eski again, though he did a good job.

I wonder if we we still have all these keepers come April...

25 October, 2018 17:56
I think we can count Tom Lace as one who has been known to keep wicket in the seconds as well?

Agree on Eski. He did well enough, but long term it wouldn't be sustainable for him to bat 3 and keep wicket day in day out.

Hopefully Simmo's relegation was only temporary. I got the feeling we needed to shake things up a bit, as things weren't going well at half time, and Robbie White had done enough to at least be given a chance. When Robbo was struggling at the top of the order there were no obvious alternatives (Holden doing better at 6) so sometimes it is down to whether there is a viable alternative in the wings.

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
25 October, 2018 18:49
If Jack Davies starts the 2019 season well for Middlesex 2nd XI, it would be interesting to see where it would leave John Simpson and Robbie White, as Simmo was harshly dropped halfway through the 2018 season, while White was unable to transfer his great 2nd XI form into his 1st XI appearances, which means that the position of 1st XI wicket-keeper seems to be up-for-grabs for the first time in nearly a decade. It seems unthinkable that Simmo’s days as our keeper could be numbered, as surely he will bounce back in 2019. Ahead of last season, I didn’t see White as someone likely to play in our 1st XI, but he got an opportunity due to the other players being injured, ill, on international duty or struggling with their form.

It has been a good couple of months for the quartet of Middlesex players who were in England’s squad for the 2018 U-19 World Cup, with news of Davies’s contract coming after Ethan Bamber made an immediate impact in our 1st XI and Luke Hollman was named in a Young England Lions squad. This just leaves Savin Perera, although I don't think he is still at Middlesex, as his Cricinfo profile suggests that he has spent time at Nottinghamshire without much success.

[edited to write about Perera]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/10/2018 18:57 by Jonathan Winsky.

25 October, 2018 19:42
If I was being mischievous, I might speculate that one or two Lanky fans have suggested Jos Buttler might fancy a move to London (not that he would be free to play county cricket all that often). That in turn might present Simmo with a chance to go to his native Lanky.

No idea if there is really any traction in this, just felt like starting a rumour based on not a lot.

Of course Simmo's still under contract with us until the end of next season, but if a swap was possible, who knows.

(Sm106)

26 October, 2018 22:53
Think Stuart Law has a big descision to make.
Keep Simmo at 30 yrs of age with 4 or 5 years left in the tank and risk losing Robbie White who would no doubt want to persue first team cricket with another county or taking a gamble on Robbie White which would no doubt force Simmo to move to another county.
Maybe an emerging 18 year old talent would work in favour of keeping Simmo.
Wouldn't think our budget would allow us to have an ambundance of keepers with Eski and Tom Lace who could act as backup in an emergency.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/10/2018 22:54 by Bring back the Crusaders.

28 October, 2018 07:00
According to a couple of posters on Grockles it seems Brian Rose has given a bit of a hint that Jos Buttler could be on his way back to Somerset.

If he keeps his test place (as well as ODI's) then I don't know how much county cricket he would play, but if he does depart Lancashire that keeps open the possibility Simmo could be heading north to the county of his birth.

Seaxe Boy (IP Logged)
30 October, 2018 02:19
Congratulations to the promising Jack Davies upon earning his first professional contract.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net