cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

RIP JT Murray Middlesex legend

Johnno's Off Again
Primrose Hillbilly (IP Logged)
05 November, 2018 12:40
This time, south of the border.

[www.thecricketer.com]

Re: Johnno's Off Again
Fozzie (IP Logged)
05 November, 2018 13:29
Gone to Surrey! That's interesting. The announcement on the MCCC website makes no mention of this. Rather, Gus says that reluctantly they couldn't offer him an extension to his contract, which has just 14 months to run, because they didn't feel the timing would be right with Stuart Law about to join. The website simply says that he left to get a more secure post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2018 18:09 by Fozzie.

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
05 November, 2018 13:35
So- leaving Middlesex for the equivalent role at Surrey.

Although it says 'assistant coach' it says 'will work with the club's bowlers'.

That says 'peed off at not getting the top job at Middlesex' to me.

If he'd held on, I reckon one or other of Head coach at Glamorgan, or Hampshire could have been his (any other vacancies out there?)

A sad way for it to end- so we now need a new bowling coach, as well as batting coach.

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
05 November, 2018 13:36
The bloody Mexicans??

Must admit,bit of bad taste in mouth about it.
Well all know Jonno is one of the best bowling coaches on the circuit.
Surely we could of offered him a longer contract.. maybe we did,maybe we didn't.
Contracts are never released to public by clubs.
Thanks Jonno for all you did for us,damn good bowling coach.
The bloody Mexicans???

snicko (IP Logged)
05 November, 2018 14:50
Bit concerned about which of our seamers he may take with him.

Rocks&Boulders (IP Logged)
05 November, 2018 17:25
Real poxy news that is. thumbs up

Fozzie (IP Logged)
05 November, 2018 18:14
Quote:
BeefyRoberts
The bloody Mexicans??
Must admit,bit of bad taste in mouth about it.
Well all know Jonno is one of the best bowling coaches on the circuit.
Surely we could of offered him a longer contract.. maybe we did,maybe we didn't.
Contracts are never released to public by clubs.
Thanks Jonno for all you did for us,damn good bowling coach.
The bloody Mexicans???

The statement by Gus on the club websiteis quite specific that he was not offered a new contract:

"I fully understand Richard's situation, in that he is looking for greater security than the 14 months he currently has left on his contract with the club, but with Stuart Law starting as Head Coach in the New Year and new relationships to be formed, I felt it would be wrong to extend his contract at this precise moment in time."

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
05 November, 2018 19:47
Like probably everyone associated with Middlesex, I was hopeful that Richard Johnson would remain a part of our coaching staff, and I was fairly expectant that he would stay. About the only way I could see him leaving would be if he found a role more senior than he had at Middlesex, such as a head coach or managing director of cricket role at another county or something with an international side. Therefore, it is a kick in the teeth that he has moved to our biggest rivals for a role which seems no more senior than he had at Middlesex.

I suppose he can’t be blamed for seeking to get the most out of life, especially as it seems Surrey offered him a longer-term future than we seemed willing to offer him, although it is still a disappointment. As the title of this thread reminds us, it is not the first time he has left Middlesex, as I remember feeling disappointed when he moved to Somerset after the 2000 season, which was my second season following Middlesex. I am not sure of the reasons for that move, but it seemed to work out well for him considering his time at Taunton saw him break into the England side.

I am very thankful to Johnson for bringing through several fast bowlers, for being on the coaching staff during a period in which we won two major trophies (2008 Twenty20 Cup and 2016 County Championship) and gained Championship promotion, and for helping us end the 2018 season on high note during his time as interim head coach.

The Evening Standard points out that we are now looking for both a new batting coach and a new bowling coach, although it doesn’t say who those appointments are likely to be, with about the only things I have learnt from the article being that Johnson reached the last four in the race to become our head coach (alongside Paul Farbrace, Mark Ramprakash and eventual appointment Stuart Law) and that Ed Joyce was initially seen as a candidate to be our batting coach, but is unlikely to be appointed. However, the article says that Law hopes that some coaching appointments will be made in the coming weeks.

There must be a good chance of Corey Collymore returning to Middlesex at some point, as a lot of our fast bowlers enjoyed working with him when he played for us, and he has done some work as West Indies bowling coach, working under Law's watch.

dingy bags (IP Logged)
06 November, 2018 18:23
Sad but somewhat inevitable, although I thought a head coach job might be in the offing.

With new head coach, batting coach and bowling coach, quite a change. Then, as we were told at the end of season q&a, with lots of players coming to the end of contracts in 2019, a year to look at the playing staff before possible changes there.

lower pavilion (IP Logged)
07 November, 2018 13:18
I find all of this rather sad, but typical of modern day sport, and cricket is becoming more and more like football in so many ways.

The architects of our never to be forgotten County Championship triumph in 2016, for the first time in 23 years, were Angus Fraser, Richard Scott and Richard Johnson.

Here we are approaching the end of 2018, just over two years later, and we have parted company with Richard Scott and Richard Johnson and only Angus Fraser remains.

I for one will never forget what Richard Scott and Richard Johnson have done for our club and I wish them all the very best.

dingy bags (IP Logged)
08 November, 2018 20:51
You make some good points LP. Memories do indeed grow shorter in professional sport.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net