Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Let the 2019 season begin

Albert Trott
Discussion started by Seaxe_Man , 20 November, 2018 12:28
Albert Trott
Seaxe_Man 20 November, 2018 12:28
Albert Trott once of Australia, England and Middlesex. The only man to clear the Lord's Pavilion with a six hit.

In today's Telegraph page 13 20/11/18 runs a story headlined ' Tragedy of over blue plaque denied to only player to hit a ball over Lord's Pavilion'.

This plaque was to be attached to his former home in Willesden.

Trott was penniless when he committed suicide suffering with depression having lost his job, family and home.

Howard Spencer, a bloke who decides these things said ' we are looking for fame not infamy'. Plus his panel decided that Trott's overall sporting record was not so exceptional.

However, Dawn Butler, the Labour MP for Brent, said she supported the campaign for Trott to be recognised and was proud that he lived in Brent'.

This is a welcome change in Brent. From my experience there is a reticence in that Borough in supporting MX.

Trott was the second Middlesex player to take his life in similar fashion. The other being Andrew Stoddart some years prior.

Decent read ' My Dear Glorious Stod' by David Frith covering Stoddart's career, in both cricket and rugby. Recommended.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/11/2018 10:51 by Seaxe_Man.

Re: Albert Trott
Mr. Trellis. 21 November, 2018 23:56
"My Dear Victorious Stod" was written by David Frith. It is certainly worth reading, as are all Mr Frith's offerings. Perhaps cricket's greatest living historian, he has an amazing collection of memorabilia, which itself is the subject of a book.

Seaxe Boy 22 November, 2018 15:40
Quote:
Seaxe_Man
Trott was the second Middlesex player to take his life in similar fashion. The other being Andrew Stoddart some years prior.

Decent read ' My Dear Glorious Stod' by David English covering Stoddart's career, in both cricket and rugby. Recommended.

I appreciate the tribute to the great Albert Trott (1873-1915) and the reference to David Frith's celebrated biography of Andrew Stoddart (1863-1915).

Mr Spencer's view on cricketing history leaves a little to be desired. Credit to Ms Butler for a more positive opinion.

Please note that Mr Trott died on 30th July 1914 and Mr Stoddart died on 4th April 1915.

adelaide 22 November, 2018 16:10
Quote:
Seaxe_Man
However, Dawn Butler, the Labour MP for Brent, said she supported the campaign for Trott to be recognised and was proud that he lived in Brent'.

This is a welcome change in Brent. From my experience there is a reticence in that Borough in supporting MX.

Was there ever an actual place called "Brent"? There is a river Brent, which I think is where the borough got its name from. That borough did not exist in Trott's day. There was a Brent tube station, now Brent Cross, though Wikipedia implies that even that was named after the river! Brent Cross shopping centre is in the borough of .... Barnet!

The MP's views are nothing to with those of the council of course. BTW, did you mean reticence in supporting Middlesex just in a cricketing sense or more widely?

Adelaide

Seaxe_Man 23 November, 2018 10:56
Quote:
Mr. Trellis.
"My Dear Victorious Stod" was written by David Frith. It is certainly worth reading, as are all Mr Frith's offerings. Perhaps cricket's greatest living historian, he has an amazing collection of memorabilia, which itself is the subject of a book.

Thanks Mr T. Post amended. While typing that Mr English was at the back of my mind. So got the wrong David.

Stod was I believe a dual England International playing rugby for Blackheath and England.

Plus England Captain in the 1890's winning the Ashes in Australia.

Seaxe_Man 23 November, 2018 11:00
Quote:
Seaxe Boy
Quote:
Seaxe_Man

Decent read ' My Dear Glorious Stod' by David English covering Stoddart's career, in both cricket and rugby. Recommended.

I appreciate the tribute to the great Albert Trott (1873-1915) and the reference to David Frith's celebrated biography of Andrew Stoddart (1863-1915).

Mr Spencer's view on cricketing history leaves a little to be desired. Credit to Ms Butler for a more positive opinion.

Please note that Mr Trott died on 30th July 1914 and Mr Stoddart died on 4th April 1915.

SB again thanks for the update. I thought that Stoddy was first. What is beyond dispute. Both ended their days by use of a firearm. Plus depression brought on by financial woes.

Seaxe_Man 23 November, 2018 11:18
Quote:
adelaide
Quote:
Seaxe_Man

Was there ever an actual place called "Brent"? There is a river Brent, which I think is where the borough got its name from. That borough did not exist in Trott's day. There was a Brent tube station, now Brent Cross, though Wikipedia implies that even that was named after the river! Brent Cross shopping centre is in the borough of .... Barnet!

The MP's views are nothing to with those of the council of course. BTW, did you mean reticence in supporting Middlesex just in a cricketing sense or more widely?

Adelaide

Adelaide you are correct. Brent named after the River that flows through the area. Our local River Rinn I think joins it somewhere.

It can be seen where it flows through Greenford.

I was referring to the Brent Council attitude to supporting MX in the following context.

Since 2008 I have assisted the MX Marketing Dept distributing flyers advertising outground matches wherever they happened to be staged. The following boroughs have helped with the use of their library services.

Enfield, Haringey, Harrow, Hillingdon, Ealing*, Hounslow* Hammersmith and Fulham*, Richmond*,Spelthorne, Bucks County Council, Watford and Hertfordshire.

Boroughs with a * no longer do so for different reasons.

Brent however from the onset never helped.

In addition, I do MX clubs who always give the county good support talking either to the secretary, captain, groundsperson or bar staff. Do a few in Herts as well. Plus some non league footie clubs.

Sky Sports pubs also helpful. Green King pubs avoid. They don't. Management policy.

Bagpuss 23 November, 2018 11:44
That would be Greene King, Official Beer of England Cricket, SM 😂

adelaide 23 November, 2018 12:14
Funny stuff, beer. When I was a student Greene King was the cheapest of the cheap at the student bar - even cheaper than Watney's Red Barrel or Special Recycled. A few years later the very characteristics that had made it looked down upon seemed to promote it to the status of Real Ale.

Funny stuff, rivers. It's kind of a liquid version of the butterfly effect. A few inches different and the raindrop can (sort of) emerge into the sea at places a hundred miles different. The source of the Lea being somewhere near Luton came as a bit of a surprise when I first came across it too.

What do Greene King pubs that show Sky Sports do re Middlesex cricket.

Adelaide

Seaxe_Man 23 November, 2018 15:18
Quote:
Bagpuss
That would be Greene King, Official Beer of England Cricket, SM 😂

Greeney King Bagpuss are a no no for MX cricket. In fact the joint in Eastcote now known as the Ascot, were pretty abrupt about it when I inquired awhile back.

Probably Greeney in the 'MX don't exist' brigade maybe. They still recognise Blair's version of England I believe.

MX cricket in a Greeney Sky pub Adelaide. Probably under management instructions to switch channels rapidly.(Sm138)

Fozzie 29 November, 2018 19:19
Quote:
Mr. Trellis.

Also among David Frith's prodigious output, and sadly relevant to Trott and Stoddard, is "By His Own Hand: A Study of Cricket's Suicides". From memory, Frith makes the point that cricket appears to have many more suicides than do other sports.

Mr. Trellis. 29 November, 2018 22:54
10 years later, in 2001, David Frith published "Silence of the Heart", which dealt with some 70 further cases which had come to light. Sadly David Bairstow, Mark Saxelby and Danny Kelleher feature in this book.

I subsequently spoke to Mr Frith, who told me that he had a shoe box containing further cuttings on the subject, but now found the subject a little morbid and would be writing no more on the subject.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net