cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Let the 2019 season begin

EGM on 15th January 2019
Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
22 December, 2018 19:26
Middlesex members have been sent a mailing which contains notice of an Extraordinary General Meeting to be held in the Thomas Lord Suite at Lord’s on Tuesday 15th January 2019, which will be to discuss changes to the rules of the club. The mailing also contains a ballot paper, although I can’t work out whether the paper is only for people who cannot attend, or if people who will attend have to fill it out too. If there is an opportunity for people to vote on the night by raising their hand, then that would make it possible for people to register two votes for each question, which would corrupt the vote.

I cannot see any harm in what the club propose, so I intend to support both resolutions. It seems like an excellent idea to incorporate recreational cricket within the club’s responsibilities, as that creates a clearer pathway for all cricketers from Middlesex across the various levels into the Middlesex CCC setup and potentially into the England side.

As I haven’t missed any of these meetings or forums for many years, I would like to attend. However, two obstacles are the possibility of me getting a job in which the hours or location makes me unable to get to Lord’s by 6:00pm, and the possibility of me having football that evening.

Re: EGM on 15th January 2019
BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
23 December, 2018 11:14
Having looked at ballot paper,my name and membership number is printed,so,maybe to vote if attending the meeting,you would add the same thing so no confusion on who has voted.
Lets hope many members do vote.

03 January, 2019 18:20
Quote:
Jonathan Winsky
The mailing also contains a ballot paper, although I can’t work out whether the paper is only for people who cannot attend, or if people who will attend have to fill it out too. If there is an opportunity for people to vote on the night by raising their hand, then that would make it possible for people to register two votes for each question, which would corrupt the vote

It seems that there is an expectation that everyone who wishes to vote will do so by post, as Middlesex have today posted an article on their official website encouraging members to return their ballot papers by post soon if they haven't done so already. However, the article also says that votes can alternatively be made in person on the night, so as I have said, presumably a member could get away with registering two votes for each question, unless a way is found to ensure that the only votes registered on the night are those from people who did not vote by post.

What confuses me is that the postal ballot paper contains the passage “I am unable to attend the Extraordinary General Meeting”, which would make it a contradiction if someone votes by post and then attends the meeting.

Sussex Seaxe (IP Logged)
04 January, 2019 13:37
Maybe they just expect Middlesex members to be honest! I suspect attendance will be very low and that the resolutions will pass on a modest postal vote. I have sent my paper back approving the motions (if you'll pardon the expression) as I think it makes good sense.

adelaide (IP Logged)
04 January, 2019 14:42
Is this standard stuff for company meetings, perhaps? If someone votes at the meeting their postal vote will be torn up before their eyes?

Realistically, the vote at the meeting is unlikely to matter unless the postal vote is close and I doubt that will happen.

Adelaide

Seaxe Boy (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 09:20
I personally doubt that it will be possible to vote twice. The proxy voting is monitored very closely by an independent body, Electoral Reform Services. One would have to show the ballot form with one's membership card when arriving for the meeting. They will be able to tell.

Seaxe_man1 (IP Logged)
09 January, 2019 13:46
I certainly hope not Seaxeboy. Sounds like the much loved second or is it the third referendum.

Seaxe_man1 (IP Logged)
09 January, 2019 14:02
I will support the Dave Kendix proposals. It appears to me that taking over the recreational cricket in the historic county will raise the MX profile and as stated provide a pathway to the county elevens.

This should raise awareness with possible knock-on effects such as new members, an important revenue stream.

I believe that the recreational cricket area covers the historic county and not just the truncated one from 1964..

16 January, 2019 18:53
As was anticipated, the new Middlesex club rules have been adopted.

I didn’t go to yesterday’s EGM/SGM (the club have used both of those terms to describe the meeting), as Lower Mound talked me out of it, as he told me that it would be unlikely that anything interesting would be said.

Richard Goatley has invited members to apply to stand for a position on a new board which will oversee cricket within the county.

Primrose Hillbilly (IP Logged)
17 January, 2019 16:14
As the Club has now changed its structure to that of a limited liability company, it may start raising finance by way of issuing bonds and the like, as my rugby club, Teddington did, a couple of years ago.

Clause 5.2 allows it :
"To raise or borrow money from Members or others up to a limit agreed from time to time by the Members in General Meeting for the purposes of or in connection with the activities of the Club or any of them, on such terms as may be decided by the Board. Any sum or sums raised or borrowed may be secured by way of mortgage or charge over all or any of the undertaking, property and assets, present or future, of the Club, and whether or not including any floating charge of all or any of the undertaking, property and assets of the Club."

Should we so wish, we may apply to become one of the ECB's (subsequently) non - performing loans or raise money from other sources, which would probably be my preferred course of action.At least we don't have a ground at Wantage Road that can be turned into a housing estate in the event of non repayment. However, that will also require us to be very smart in how we go about both the raising of finance and the servicing of any debt, given that we don't have such an asset, but are seeking to acquire one.

Seaxe_man1 (IP Logged)
23 January, 2019 13:21
Quote:
Sussex Seaxe
Maybe they just expect Middlesex members to be honest! I suspect attendance will be very low and that the resolutions will pass on a modest postal vote. I have sent my paper back approving the motions (if you'll pardon the expression) as I think it makes good sense.

The attendance SS was 71. About 3 times the attendance at the previous forum on this subject.

Further information it was stated, would appear on MX website.

Seaxe_man1 (IP Logged)
23 January, 2019 13:44
Quote:
Primrose Hillbilly
As the Club has now changed its structure to that of a limited liability company, it may start raising finance by way of issuing bonds and the like, as my rugby club, Teddington did, a couple of years ago.
Clause 5.2 allows it :
"To raise or borrow money from Members or others up to a limit agreed from time to time by the Members in General Meeting for the purposes of or in connection with the activities of the Club or any of them, on such terms as may be decided by the Board. Any sum or sums raised or borrowed may be secured by way of mortgage or charge over all or any of the undertaking, property and assets, present or future, of the Club, and whether or not including any floating charge of all or any of the undertaking, property and assets of the Club."

Should we so wish, we may apply to become one of the ECB's (subsequently) non - performing loans or raise money from other sources, which would probably be my preferred course of action.At least we don't have a ground at Wantage Road that can be turned into a housing estate in the event of non repayment. However, that will also require us to be very smart in how we go about both the raising of finance and the servicing of any debt, given that we don't have such an asset, but are seeking to acquire one.

I can assure you PH that Northants are aware of what you say re Wantage Road and have taken steps to make sure that does not happen.

They have created a Trust and rounded up Northants supporters from around Northamptonshire with deep pockets. Objective: to raise a million quid which they achieved a couple of years back.

As a former member I purchased one share as a token gesture. Wantage Road like Leicester, Derby, Worcester and Hove is a proper county ground which needs protection from the vultures.

They have decent assets. Wantage Road, a number of properties which includes the pub outside. The pub ownership puts them on a par with Sussex,

Sussex were of course beneficiaries from a supporter's legacy who bequeathed them 7 million quid a few years back.

The capital sum Sussex say will remain untouched, using the interest for ground improvements.

Northants also rubbished the various 'media' claims that they wanted a half a million from the ECB to carry on.

The money if granted, it was not, were for ground improvements. This set them on course to look at other avenues as described.

Primrose Hillbilly (IP Logged)
23 January, 2019 16:57
Wantage Road, or "the County Ground", as the previous home ground of Northampton Town F.C., will also remain forever in my memory for the remarkable announcement on B.B.C. Final Score one Saturday afternoon when I was a bit younger;

"Something Happened to Northampton Town today. It was George Best. Northampton Town 2; Manchester united EIGHT. He got six of them".

Good to hear the venue will be preserved.

Seaxe_man1 (IP Logged)
04 February, 2019 12:48
PH. I attended a Nat West game there in the eighties, which we won, Gatt was captain, when NTFC were still playing there.

Can remember being seated near the penalty area markings and as you say with George Best, visions of Johnny Haynes and co pounding over those white markings.

Mx are at Wantage Road to use a Lancashire expression, early doors, Friday the 5th of April straight after MTS warm-up game. Dodgy expression for March.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net