cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

RIP JT Murray Middlesex legend

Adil Rashid
BarmierKev (IP Logged)
30 January, 2019 18:16
I am going to be controversial.

Adil Rashid is flying back home from England duty because his wife is expecting. I sincerely hope he knew about this before the tour started, so I am wondering why suddenly has this decision been made?

This is the same guy who pulled out of a Champioship decider, later explaining it is due to family illness. He seems to have earned a reputation for being selective on what games and what forms he wishes to play.

I wished I had this flexibilty in the workplace, that did not involve representing my county and country, during some of my challenging moments.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Re: Adil Rashid
adelaide (IP Logged)
31 January, 2019 00:52
I read it as being something that management was, er, expecting rather than a sudden decision. Haven't other players taken time off tour in similar circumstances?

Mind you, it is quite possible that his pregnant partner would have been able to bowl better in Barbados!

Adelaide

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 31/01/2019 11:36 by adelaide.

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
31 January, 2019 11:23
I believe what normally happens it is announced before tour starts if someone might to return home. It is often with idea of returning for a later test.

Let's hope Adil's commitment to his wife is better than his to playing cricket

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
31 January, 2019 19:20
I can kind of understand Adil Rashid’s lack of interest in recent years when it comes to playing first-class cricket, as it seemed that his best chance of playing international cricket and making a living would be to focus on limited-overs cricket. He then signed a limited-overs-only contract at Yorkshire, which suited both parties, as it meant that he knew that he could put himself forward for competitions such as the IPL and CPL without missing matches Yorkshire expected him to play, and it also meant that Yorkshire knew were they stood with him. However, Rashid was then recalled to England's Test side last summer, which took him by as much surprise as it took everyone else, including Yorkshire’s management.

In hindsight, England should have selected either Jack Leach or Stuart Broad for the first Test in West Indies, when Rashid’s bowling neither resulted in any wickets nor in an impressive economy, and when he scored 12 and 1. However, at least he made more contribution in that match than in last summer’s Test v India at Lord’s, when England comfortably won without Rashid needing to bowl or bat!

A lot of people thought that England didn't need both Rashid and Moeen Ali’s bowling last week, but perhaps the team selection was justified after all after Roston Chase's spin yielded eight second innings wickets.

For people who do not play professional sport, it can be annoying when they see sportspeople allowed to take time off when they are tired, at risk of fatigue, or when their mind may be elsewhere. It seems that people who run professional sport teams place great concern in keeping players at optimum performance level, whereas people who run most workplaces are more concerned about keeping their business running and making money than they are about having a healthy and happy workforce.

adelaide (IP Logged)
31 January, 2019 22:38
Jonathan

Most employers these days would probably say that having a happy and healthy workforce is the best way of keeping their business running and making money. Whether they act that way when push comes to shove is another matter. I dare say it is easier for large organisations than those employing very few.

Adelaide

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
01 February, 2019 08:25
Isn't it the law of the land that fathers are allowed two weeks paternity leave?

[www.gov.uk]

adelaide (IP Logged)
01 February, 2019 11:09
Chunky

Allowed but not forced to take! Delph flew back from the World Cup but was back well within two weeks, though of course he wasn't in the first choice line up.

What's not clear is whether this is more than the standard two weeks.

I'd be very surprised if the possibility of Rashid wanting to do this had not been discussed with the England management well before the tour. It may be that he wasn't sure, or that it depended on how difficult the pregnancy became, in which case I can see why it would not have been announced

Adelaide

Sussex Seaxe (IP Logged)
01 February, 2019 11:31
I suspect that it had become clear that Rashid wasn't going to be selected for the match in Antigua, at which point the decision to return home was agreed.

I support people being present when their children are born (especially mothers). It is probably the highlight of many people's lives, although it is more difficult for professional sports players than many others.

As for Adelaide's point about a happy and healthy workforce, I couldn't agree more! I have spent many years working with organisations, trying to get this message over. Many work hard at it, but one of the difficulties is some less enlightened leaders and managers mistaking this aim for being, in some way, 'soft'. In fact, it allows you to be the opposite! Staff don't expect an easy life, they expect to work hard and to gain satisfaction and reward if they do. Endless research shows that people work harder for a good boss than they do for money.

I may have gone slightly off piste here....

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
01 February, 2019 12:12
Quote:
chunkyinargyll
Isn't it the law of the land that fathers are allowed two weeks paternity leave?
[www.gov.uk]

In that case look forward to seeing him back in action in 2 weeks time.

adelaide (IP Logged)
01 February, 2019 13:09
I'm reminded of the good old days when Richo and Silverwood were always "two weeks from fitness" when the reality was that they were two weeks away from the next announcement that they were two weeks from fitness.

Adelaide

Seaxe_man1 (IP Logged)
04 February, 2019 12:32
He posed no problems to the Windies batsmen in the Barbados Test. Pacey wicket.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net